Remembrance Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Let Us Never Forget. Let us always remember them!

On The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

Attachments

• poppies.jpg
    poppies.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Remembrance Day is a much bigger deal in the UK, New Zealand, Canada, and Australia than here in the States. Folks here in the States truly do not understand the profound impact of the First World War in your countries. Americans think we suffered during the wars. We did but not even close to the suffering in your countries. When we did the Great Loop two years ago I often stumbled across the World War One memorials in very small Canadian towns. The number of names of the fallen were so many when one thinks about the small community from which they came. Americans think "we" won the war. We helped but our biggest contribution was in materiel. And lest anyone think I am in any way denigrating our own war heroes, know that my father fought in three campaigns in the South Pacific in WW2.

While it is known as Remembrance day (Poppy Day) in Commonwealth and other countries and Veterans Day here in the US, it is now aptly a day to remember all the fallen (as Memorial Day does here) and all veterans, not just those from WW 1.

For those on the forum who do and have served, thank you. For those of you who have lost loved ones while they were serving their country, thank you for your and their sacrifice.

Last edited:
Some of us "here" in the United States pay great homage to our fallen and our walking wounded. Poor parenting and an ideology common in educators took care of the other half that does not care.

Last weekend on Saturday Night Live the guest host John Mulaney said something like this " the greatest generation? says who? the greatest generation? Oh , we fought the Nazis!. Well we are fighting them right now if you would just get out of our way!".

In referring to half of our country as Nazis and disparaging an entire generation of selfless American heroes who placed their country above their lives I doubt this mealy mouthed whiner is even capable of true patriotism. I am more than a little surprised that this was put on the air given how much was lost to the Nazis by the very same people who are at the head of most media and entertainment giants. Absolutely disgusting. Never forget? I know I will never forget. God bless each and every one of them.

Today I think of my high school and college buddy who was one of the first leaders of seal team six. A child of Egyptian immigrants, he gave his life for me, my family, and our country. John Mulaney too.

Thank you, Veterans.

Menzies,
Thanks for this. I remember. My Dad gave up almost 5 years of his life serving, most of that time overseas, so we can enjoy our hard fought freedoms. He was one of the lucky ones!!!
RTF, "The war to end ALL wars..." If only it actually turned out that way !
Different countries, but the Dutch have not forgotten that Canadian troops freed them from occupation. They still teach their children, and to this day, are grateful for the sacrifices that were made for them.
Unfortunately, we have too many people (in NA) who think like John Mulaney as referenced by Moparharn.
A big THANK YOU to all who have (or are) served!

Remembrance Day, 11am 11th day 11th month is observed here, with a minute of silence at 11am.
This year images of red poppies were generated on the Opera House roof "sails". The annual Commemoration Service was limited due to Covid.
Couple of years back we visited the WW1 battlefield areas of France. Villers-Bretonneaux village, liberated by Australian troops,remembers and welcomes Australians with signs and kangaroo images. Canada was there too, the Memorial site includes many graves for Canadians as well as Aussies. A very moving visit.

Remembrance Day, 11am 11th day 11th month is observed here, with a minute of silence at 11am.
This year images of red poppies were generated on the Opera House roof "sails". The annual Commemoration Service was limited due to Covid.
Couple of years back we visited the WW1 battlefield areas of France. Villers-Bretonneaux village, liberated by Australian troops,remembers and welcomes Australians with signs and kangaroo images. Canada was there too, the Memorial site includes many graves for Canadians as well as Aussies. A very moving visit.

Bruce, when we lived in the South of England (Essex) in our twenties we used to take the ferry and hovercraft across to Northern France to get our supply of cheap good quality wines and cheeses. Never once thought to visit the war memorials. A regret.

We have left "doing" Europe until we can no longer do the more adventurous trips that we currently do. A sweep across the memorials in France and the low countries is absolutely in our plans.

Paul,in Rotterdam after an Arctic cruise on HAL`s(then)"Rotterdam" we hired a car, visited Belgium (incl Bruges on Lou tribal`s advice),into northern France,and the Champagne region, Lichtenstein( France without attitude),dropping the car in Frankfurt where we started.
For now, it`s not possible. I think of places to discover or rediscover, and wonder. So glad of the trips we did, incl 3 weeks in Ireland.

Paul,in Rotterdam after an Arctic cruise on HAL`s(then)"Rotterdam" we hired a car, visited Belgium (incl Bruges on Lou tribal`s advice),into northern France,and the Champagne region, Lichtenstein( France without attitude),dropping the car in Frankfurt where we started.
For now, it`s not possible. I think of places to discover or rediscover, and wonder. So glad of the trips we did, incl 3 weeks in Ireland.

I have been to a lot of those places (including the wonderful cathedral city of Antwerp ), I was more talking about the war memorials, which I have not visited.

Menzies and Catalinajack...thanks for excellent and insightful posts.

Bruce, Bruce, Bruce, you forgot the Kiwis. They were there too..! Never mind, many Aussies do that - forget what the NZ part of ANZAC actually stands for, I mean. I've noticed this every ANZAC Day. It's not intentional, so don't worry, we're still good... :D

I guess it is emblazoned in my mind because of in my brass band days back in NZ in my teens, we (the band) had to attend about three ANZAC Day services each year to play for the singing - and the last post, etc. - so we were never able to forget just what ANZAC stood for. Lest we forget...indeed...:flowers:

My father to be, was away in the WW11 for 6 years, all the while engaged to my mother to be. They got married immediately he got back - also one of the lucky ones - and guess who appeared exactly ten months later..? :whistling:

Last edited:
Peter, apologies,but I never forget the Kiwis. Here, I was thinking in terms of the grave nationalities we saw in Villers-Bretonneaux, I don`t recall any NZers, there may well have been and we did not see them, we definitely saw Canadians, and that surprised me.

My grandfather was a Regimental Sergeant Major at Vimy. He never said a word about it, wouldn't talk. My father was rejected for the RCAF in 1939 because he didn't have a degree, so he hopped on a ship and 9 weeks after landing in Liverpool he had his wings in the RAF and was sent to France where he was hit by flak and shot down. He spent 6 months or so in a convalescent hospital then fought in the Battle of Britain.

Canadians fought for freedom and suffered the consequences (my father was ptsd before it was a thing) and made it possible for our generation to live in relative peace. Korea was before my time and Vietnam was not a Canadian conflict.

Politics in N.A. may be loony but to compare that aggression to fighting Nazis is asinine.

I doubt that any of the remembered would hesitate to call a present day Nazi a Nazi,
or try to silence those that do.

You want remembrance?

The Children's Memorial at Yad Vashem

Last edited:
While it is known as Remembrance day (Poppy Day) in Commonwealth and other countries and Veterans Day here in the US, it is now aptly a day to remember all the fallen (as Memorial Day does here) and all veterans, not just those from WW 1.

Both Remembrance Day and Veterans Day were established to honor Armistice Day which ended WWI (1919). Remembrance Day was established to honor those who gave their lives.

The United States had already established Memorial Day to honor our fallen soldiers in 1868, a few years after the end of the US Civil War. By 1919 we had already been celebrating a Memorial Day for 51 years, so rather than adopting Remembrance Day, we instead established Veterans Day to honor the survivors of war instead.

Back
Top Bottom