Real ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

High Wire

Guru
Vessel Name
Irish Lady
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Some say this is a huge problem coming down the tracks. This is Federal mandate. Here is New Jerseys notice that they did not send out to residents. Found it by chance.
This is above and beyond the six points of ID from the post 9-11 days.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/realid/

realid

Last edited:
If you have a passport, you can either use it, or more conveniently get a passport card to go with it that meets the requirement and you don't have to screw with the DMV until time to renew your license. The card comes in handy for going to/from North American countries too.

Greetings,
Yup I can see the problem.

Scenario: Traffic stop
Leo: "Do you have a real ID?"
Jim Bob: 'bout whut?

200w.webp

Wifey B: My goodness, NJ is slow. FL began issuing Real ID licenses January 1, 2010 and is very near 100% compliance now. :confused:

Wifey B: My goodness, NJ is slow. FL began issuing Real ID licenses January 1, 2010 and is very near 100% compliance now. :confused:

Yes, agree. We were going though the 6 points of ID process way-way back in early 2000's but I guess that was only a state process. Same exact info. First I've heard of the "Real ID" federal requirement until today. My NJ license was issued in 2017 and no "star".:banged:
I can remember the craziness when NJ first wrote the laws requiring a Boating Safety Certificate to ride a PWC before it had a process to issue one. 2 years of complete chaos. Then 4 years later they did the same for operating a boat. Another 4 years of chaos. Never learn, never.

Last edited:
Alaska started last summer. No worries I have a NEXUS card and a passport, so I don't need a real ID.

If you have a passport, you can either use it, or more conveniently get a passport card to go with it that meets the requirement and you don't have to screw with the DMV until time to renew your license. The card comes in handy for going to/from North American countries too.

Or your Global Entry card will work as well.

Yeah. I've had a Real ID driver's license for years. If it was any inconvenience at all to get it, it couldn't have been too much, because I don't remember it anymore.

Yeah. I've had a Real ID driver's license for years. If it was any inconvenience at all to get it, it couldn't have been too much, because I don't remember it anymore.

Wifey B: We just thought it was what FL required to get a license, didn't think of it as special but got Real ID licenses when we moved here in 2012. Never had a FL license that wasn't. I felt so special getting a license with a star on it, until I found out everyone did. :lol:

I got a flyer a few months ago but said it wasn't mandatory.

Wifey B: I felt so special getting a license with a star on it, until I found out everyone did. :lol:
Yeah, but was your star red or blue like everyone else, or did you get a GOLD star?

IF you live in a Tax Grab State , the passport is better as you can actually ask and have it stamped entering and leaving the USA.

Spend over 6 months in CT and you are on their tax roll, even tho you live elsewhere.

The passport is PROOF you are out.

Pretty sure NJ started the Real ID process back beforec 2012...just no star which I believe came later as the Feds continued to modify the Real I D Act of 2005.

I called the State DMV people in Trenton and they explained the requirements (back before 2012) WERE federal and NJ could care less if I couldn't meet them because I lived on a boat.

Last edited:
Spend more than six months in any income tax state may subject you to taxation. It is not unique to Connecticut.
IF you live in a Tax Grab State , the passport is better as you can actually ask and have it stamped entering and leaving the USA.

Spend over 6 months in CT and you are on their tax roll, even tho you live elsewhere.

The passport is PROOF you are out.

"Spend more than six months in any income tax state may subject you to taxation. It is not unique to Connecticut."

Was the 14th Ammd canceled?

So on the news was a CBP bust of 100 of thousand of counterfeit driver licences. Do we need to be concerned?

"Spend more than six months in any income tax state may subject you to taxation. It is not unique to Connecticut."

Was the 14th Ammd canceled?
What does the 14th Amendment have to do with you being obligated to follow a state's tax laws?

Ted

So on the news was a CBP bust of 100 of thousand of counterfeit driver licences. Do we need to be concerned?

No. That's nothing new or especially unusual. Perhaps bigger than normal but otherwise business as usual. It does emphasize the need for security features for driver's licenses which most states do now have.

Greetings,
Mr. al. Post #17 is real news about fake ID. I wonder if there were 100 thousand perp's or one perp with 100 thousand fake licenses?

It IS optional. You do not have to fly.

Greetings,
Mr. al. Post #17 is real news about fake ID. I wonder if there were 100 thousand perp's or one perp with 100 thousand fake licenses?

Many perps around and tens of thousands by many. False id's are a huge market.

It IS optional. You do not have to fly.

Well you can still fly with a passport or NEXUS card for ID

Many perps around and tens of thousands by many. False id's are a huge market.

So think about this. Illegals obtain a driver license. They now have the right to vote or register based on the fake ID.:eek:

TWIC cards are valid to use for flying as well. I've used mine the past 2 years to board domestic flights.

Merchant Mariner Credential works too.

You need real ID to get on a plane a passport to get inor out of the country enough said

Don't panic

With the Corona virus taking hold you won't need it, no one will be flying anywhere.

The Real ID Act is an Act of Congress from 2005 from Jim Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin. It takes effect in October of this year. If you get a "real ID Driver's license", the star is gold. You don't have to, but you will need a real ID to fly commercially. You can use a passport, Nexus, Sentri, etc. as a substitute.

Back
Top Bottom