Question For You Bourbon Drinkers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The variety of distinctive bourbons is great to appreciate. My go to’s are Knob Creek and Maker’s Mark

Do you store it properly - in the freezer?

Nope. I like it at room temp, no ice, just to sip. No slamming shots for this old guy. That was too many years ago. I gave up the "drink the shot-lick the salt-suck the lime" many moons ago.

I'd hate to think how many limes sacrificed their lives for my enjoyment!

To all the limes I've licked before,
who've traveled in and out my mouth,
I'm glad you came along
I dedicate this song
to all the limes I've licked before.

Thanks Willie. Many a lime was sacrificed to his tunes.

Supposedly the largest in the US at Woodford distilleries. Was there with some friends in september. It's not really laying down, LOL don't know what happened.

Attachments

• IMG_1527.jpg
    IMG_1527.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 39
From the American Bourbon Association, corn must be at least 51% of the mash, but many use around 70%. Also requires using new charred oak barrels for at least 2 years, distilling at 160 proof or less, barrelled at less than 125 proof, bottled at no less that 80 proof, and for straight bourbon, contain nothing but whiskey and water.
Whisky is Scotch, whiskey is everyone else.

I like Jeffersons' and Elijah Craig for bourbons, Glenrothes for Scotch, Bombay or Gordons for gin and tonic, and Black Seal and Flor De Cana for rum drinks, and Plantation extra old for sipping.
These are not the best available, but I like them.

Ok, so let me get this straight...

Champagne is originally from the area in France of the same name, and protects that name exclusively, and elsewhere it has to be called 'Méthode Champenoise'

Cornish Pasties are only allowed to be called that in Cornwall...

Devonshire tea is likewise claimed by Devon...

But Bourbon Whisky is only allowed to be called that in Kentucky, and possibly Tennessee..? How does that work, because...isn't Bourbon French..?

I looked it up...

Bourbon whiskey is a type of American whiskey, a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name ultimately derives from the French Bourbon dynasty, although the precise inspiration for the whiskey's name is uncertain; contenders include Bourbon County in Kentucky and Bourbon Street in New Orleans, both of which are named after the dynasty.

Bourbon-l'Archambault is a spa town and a commune in the Allier department in Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region in central France. It is the place of origin of the House of Bourbon .

So, how does Kentucky/Tennessee get away with pinching that name, I wonder..? :popcorn: :D :hide:

Greetings,
Mr. PB. "So, how does Kentucky/Tennessee get away with pinching that name,". The same way that it is claimed Thomas Edison invented the light bulb and the Wright brothers were the first to fly a heavier than air craft. BOTH false.

Greetings,
Mr. PB. "So, how does Kentucky/Tennessee get away with pinching that name,". The same way that it is claimed Thomas Edison invented the light bulb and the Wright brothers were the first to fly a heavier than air craft. BOTH false.

Oh dear, I hope I haven't started something contentious here. In my defence, I'll just quote the name of that old iconic comedy in B & W, "I only asked..."
Anyone remember it..? :flowers:

Last edited:
My aforementioned wife who grew up in Mineral Point, Wisconsin had lead mine mounds on her parents' farm, mined by Cornish immigrants. She'd tell you that her mother and the miners' descendants could make a mean pasty so Cornwall doesn't have a lock on that term either.

All bourbon is whisky. Not all whiskey is bourbon.

Whisky, or Whiskey, is made from any grain. It must be aged for at least 3 years in a barrel. Scotch, Bourbon, Rye and many others are subsections of the general class called Whisky. Scotch is a whisky made in Scotland. Bourbon is a whisky made with more than 50% corn used in the mash. Canadian Whisky or Rye Whisky has some rye added for flavour. There is an International Spirit Naming Act that many countries have 'signed on' for. It is my understanding that the US has not signed on. Therefore, bourbon is not an internationally protected name, but has been protected by some jurisdictions.

To be clear:

What Makes a Bourbon:

• Must be made in the United States.
  • Must contain 51% corn.
  • Must be aged in new oak-charred barrels.
  • Must be distilled to no more than 160 proof and entered into the barrel at 125 proof.
  • Must be bottled at no less than 80 proof.
  • Must not contain any added flavoring, coloring or other additives.

Both sides of my family are from Kentucky and I was born in Tennessee, but I'm not a bourbon expert, but I know that I like all of these!

Attachments

• 20191227_223415.jpg
    20191227_223415.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 12248158_10153101017196269_166225784298789453_o.jpg
    12248158_10153101017196269_166225784298789453_o.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 35
Whisky (without the "e") is always Scotch. Whiskey is everything else, some of it drinkable in emergencies at sea.

Without the e is not always scotch because there is also Canadian whisky. Scotch must come from Scotland just like champagne must come from France.

Pick your poison!

Whisky, or Whiskey, is made from any grain. It must be aged for at least 3 years in a barrel. Scotch, Bourbon, Rye and many others are subsections of the general class called Whisky. Scotch is a whisky made in Scotland. Bourbon is a whisky made with more than 50% corn used in the mash. Canadian Whisky or Rye Whisky has some rye added for flavour. There is an International Spirit Naming Act that many countries have 'signed on' for. It is my understanding that the US has not signed on. Therefore, bourbon is not an internationally protected name, but has been protected by some jurisdictions.

Yup! Many nuances in flavor and heat. After many years of trying out the different paths of whisky imbibements, I’ve mostly determined that decent bourbons are my go to. Several have been mentioned here already. However, for economical, bar’s-open mixing - Makers Mark is a well respected place holder. For a nice, smooth intro for a newer straight sipper, I’d probably share another economical bottle - Buffalo Trace. The sky opens up from there. So many variations - seldom ever “bad” unless you’re one of those self appointed drinking snobs!

Bourbon favorites aside, my son’s new father-in-law did share a nice little Single malt scotch with me recently - Dalwhinnie 15. Neither rare nor expensive, yet pretty darn good. And, of course, I’ll never turn down a good tequila - sipping alongside a quality dark Mexican beer and my most excellent enchiladas. :thumb:

Bourbon is a whiskey by definition. So if you call it Bourbon it is like calling Scotch Whisky just "Scotch" or a french red wine a 'Bordeaux' (presuming it comes from Bordeaux!). Bourbon represents a specific source and must contain more than 50% corn in the grain mash. Similarly Scotch Whisky is made primarily from barley mash and must come from Scotland. And yes, there are two spellings for the word with Whiskey generally used in the US and Ireland, and the spelling Whisky in Scotland, Japan, and Canada. So calling it whiskey is the most general but doesn't tell you that much. By the way the most popular whiskey in the world is Jack Daniels (Tennessee) followed by Canada's Crown Royal.

Keep the boat in Western Kentucky. Only real Kentucky bourbon on the boat. Didn’t realize that other swill existed.

Ahh, the discourse of a good conversation

Hopefully everyone participating in this discussion has a glass in hand to sip between typing.

For myself, the prior dog was named Scotch. A wonderful English Pointer who lived to be 17 before we had to part ways. His replacement is a miniature Aussie named Trace. As I’ve aged, so have my taste buds apparently. Naming the pet after some of my favorite beverages is apparently a means of helping with name recollection as I seem to suffer from that malady when consumption increases.

Here’s to good spirits and enjoying our favorites.

Jefferson's small batch

Jefferson's small batch Kentucky bourbon is amazing (Like Ocean). A friend transported two kegs on his boat twice from the Ohio to the Chelsea Pier in the Battery NY City with sampling periodically for their lab to better define the aging of the product underway with movement, temperature changes etc. Jefferson's was trying to duplicate the incredibly smooth old Bourbons when they shipped kegs by barge and ships. They duplicated every part except the transportation methods. Could do it, so desperate sent kegs around the world on ships(Ocean)and that was it. They found 1 year at sea/on the water equaled 30 yrs aging in the warehouse. It was so smooth my wife, who doesn't drink hard liquor drank a shot, neat exclaiming, wow that is tasty.
Now for Rum my sipping only neat rum is Ron Zacapa 23. These and some fine $$$ single malt whiskey(Scotches) are best savored neat. I only wish I could afford these more often.

Attachments

• Ron Zacapa 23 Rum.jpg
    Ron Zacapa 23 Rum.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Bourbon Boat .jpg
    Bourbon Boat .jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 44
Don't desecrate good Canadian Whisky by calling Bourbon a whisky. Its a whisky wanna be.
Not true. In fact there are few styles of whiskey closer than Canadian and Bourbon.

Whiskey is a distilled spirit based on grain and aged in charged wooden casks. There are many varieties of whiskey (or whisky, if you prefer) based on the "grain bill" used, with other minor variations defined by the law of the country it is produced in.

Grains commonly used include Barley, corn, wheat and rye, either malted (germinated) or not. For example, bourbon is, by law, produced in the US, and of a grain bill containing 50% or more of corn. Some are 100% corn, others are 50% or more corn, with the balance being wheat (Makers Mark) or barley or etc.

To be called Whiskey, the spirit must be aged in charged casks, usually of American White Oak. The scotch industry buys many thousands of once-used American white oak casks used to age bouron (which by law cannot be aged in a used cask).

Not complaining, just an observation. This Whisk(e)y discussion is more energetic than most boating threads. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Cheers all!

Bourbon is made of a mash mixture and corn, whiskey is made from barley

Bourbon

Do you see it as, and/or call it, Bourbon or whiskey?

Bourbon is a variety of whiskey, and the one I prefer. Basil Hayden or Old Grandad mainly, but open to anything 90 proof of less, preferably with a fairly high rye content. I also will drink the more basic Irish whiskeys, like Bushmills or Jameson.

I'm not pickey, I just like whiskey!

Both sides of my family are from Kentucky and I was born in Tennessee, but I'm not a bourbon expert, but I know that I like all of these!

Nothing beats Pappy Van Winkle

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom