Pumpkin Pie Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
My daughter just posted this on her FB page.

"Anyone want to weigh in on a debate? Should pumpkin pie be served warm or cold? I think I may live with a psychopath."

She has grown up with us serving it hot out of the oven, as with any pie, with ice cream or cream.

She is getting a majority where she lives (Montana/Dakota) saying either cold or room temperature.

What say you?

Certainly not hot out of the oven (which implies cooking minutes before). Most pies continue to meld their flavors for hours after cooking while they cool.

I can do warmed up, room temperature or cold with some whipped cream. Apple pie warm with vanilla ice cream.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. m. I am of the opinion that any pie should be served cold or at most, room temperature. My wife, on the other hand, is under the severe delusion that pie should be served warm. Try THAT with a lemon meringue or Boston creme.
All seven of her siblings eat warm/hot pie...

200.webp

Certainly not hot out of the oven (which implies cooking minutes before). Most pies continue to meld their flavors for hours after cooking while they cool.

I can do warmed up, room temperature or cold with some whipped cream. Apple pie warm with vanilla ice cream.

Ted

:iagree:

What he said...

OK, I have never eaten pumpkin pie. However, surely pumpkin would fall into the savory end of the taste spectrum. It seems a little weird putting cream or ice cream on it.

Pumpkin when curried goes very well with yogurt though.

Mind you my taste buds come from the land of Vegemite.

Andy, In comparison to Queensland Blue, Butternut pumpkin is relatively sweet. Add the extras shown in the quote below, it could end up quite sweet.

"What is pumpkin pie filling made of?
The pulp is mixed with eggs, evaporated and/or sweetened condensed milk, sugar, and a spice mixture called pumpkin pie spice, which includes nutmeg and other spices (e.g., ginger, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, mace), then baked in a pie shell. Similar pies are made with butternut squash or sweet potato fillings."

I`d opt for "served warm". Pastry seems to crisp as it cools. But tread warily, I have a recollection Andy has done some cooking, maybe even some "cheffing".

Andy, In comparison to Queensland Blue, Butternut pumpkin is relatively sweet. Add the extras shown in the quote below, it could end up quite sweet.

"What is pumpkin pie filling made of?
The pulp is mixed with eggs, evaporated and/or sweetened condensed milk, sugar, and a spice mixture called pumpkin pie spice, which includes nutmeg and other spices (e.g., ginger, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, mace), then baked in a pie shell. Similar pies are made with butternut squash or sweet potato fillings."

Hmm, see what you mean.

Well, as an accompaniment how about some whipped mascarpone cut with some lemon rind and a small squeeze of juice.

Come to think of it,what about putting a bit of crunch in the pie, mabee some roasted walnuts?

Actually, given the late lamented Clive James literary analgory of walnuts and Arnold Schwarzenegger, maybe another nut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings,
Mr. m. I am of the opinion that any pie should be served cold or at most, room temperature. My wife, on the other hand, is under the severe delusion that pie should be served warm. Try THAT with a lemon meringue or Boston creme.
All seven of her siblings eat warm/hot pie...

200.webp

Agree with RTF, cold or room temperature.

Come to think of it,what about putting a bit of crunch in the pie, mabee some roasted walnuts?

Actually the blend of Pecan & Pumpkin Pies makes a very pleasant mix

Straight from the Food Network...or as FF would post .....what does "da book" say? :)

"To serve pumpkin pie warm, it is recommended to bake and chill completely, then re-warm in a 300 degrees F. oven for 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with spiced whipped cream."

Greetings,
Mr. ps. "...it is recommended to..." Obvious to me that "it" was brought up wrong.

I was going to call it " trawler pie" but I hear it's all a marketing trick. :)

Cold or chilled or room temp. Never had hot pumpkin pie that I can remember. The idea seems ...weird. Yet hot apple pie sounds great. Huh. Weird..

Apple. Cherry. Rubarb, etc etc. All hot. Why not pumpkin?

Apple. Cherry. Rubarb, etc etc. All hot. Why not pumpkin?
You keep saying hot. Pies are baked at 350 to 400 degrees. The filling of an apple pie eaten hot out of the oven will have you going to the hospital. Maybe you mean reheated at a much lower temperature.

Ted

You keep saying hot. Pies are baked at 350 to 400 degrees. The filling of an apple pie eaten hot out of the oven will have you going to the hospital. Maybe you mean reheated at a much lower temperature.

Ted

No I mean hot out of the oven, sliced and put on a plate to eat. Up to the eater as to when to heat.

I mean hot enough to melt the half a gallon of ice cream laid on top!

Reheated with whipped cream.

For us, pumpkin pie is served cool, about 45 F, with whipped cream. Pumpkin is a custard pie, and sets fully as it cools. Apple and other fruit pies are thickened with a starch, and thicken as they cook, and so are able to be served hot.

:iagree:
Also if pumpkin pie gives you a touch of indigestion try leaving out the nutmeg. Nutmeg oil, you don’t even want to know how that happens, it involves worms.
Bon Apetit :)

Greetings,
Mr. HDH. Slight thread drift... So do you recommend your worms WITH or WITHOUT nutmeg? I've always been partial to soy sauce and a touch of ginger, myself...

100.webp

Yes Mr. RTF, loose the nutmeg and for nutmeg oil, no worms are not a option. IMO when it comes to hot or cold pumpkin pie make mine blueberry pie ala mode. ��

Seems this thread has missed the point of pumpkin pie. It’s a favorite of mine butI like it a little warm, the way it was made...IMG_2638.JPG

No I mean hot out of the oven, sliced and put on a plate to eat. Up to the eater as to when to heat.

I mean hot enough to melt the half a gallon of ice cream laid on top!
Clearly you seem to be in the minority. As you normally seem to be a fair an objective person, may I suggest you undertake some objective research as opposed to a survey.

Have your wife make you a pumpkin pie for lunchtime.
Eat 1/4 out of the oven as normal (establishing a base line).
Let the balance cool too room temperature and have the second quarter after dinner.
The third quarter out of the refrigerator for lunch next day.
The last quarter reheated for dinner.

You might find you like the taste better with the flavors melded. You may prefer it better with your taste buds scalded. But for certain, no one can argue with getting more pumpkin pie! :thumb:

Ted

Clearly you seem to be in the minority. As you normally seem to be a fair an objective person, may I suggest you undertake some objective research as opposed to a survey.

Have your wife make you a pumpkin pie for lunchtime.
Eat 1/4 out of the oven as normal (establishing a base line).
Let the balance cool too room temperature and have the second quarter after dinner.
The third quarter out of the refrigerator for lunch next day.
The last quarter reheated for dinner.

You might find you like the taste better with the flavors melded. You may prefer it better with your taste buds scalded. But for certain, no one can argue with getting more pumpkin pie! :thumb:

Ted

Actually neither my wife or I like pumpkin pie at all. We only ever made it for the kids the way we made and served other pies - hence my daughter's question.

I can't abide the stuff!

Apple or cherry pie for me!

And don't get me started on egg nog, yuck!

Last edited:
Room temp with real whipped cream.

Actually neither my wife or I like pumpkin pie at all. We only ever made it for the kids the way we made and served other pies - hence my daughter's question.

I can't abide the stuff!

Apple or cherry pie for me!

And don't get me started on egg nog, yuck!
Well, at least your honest. The filling of pumpkin pie is a custard (very different from apple or cherry) and not ment to be eaten hot. I now understand why you have been eating at the wrong temperature all these years. Sort of like eating brownies out of the oven because you like pie out of the oven.

Ted

Last edited:
Well, at least your honest. The filling of pumpkin pie is a custard (very different from apple or cherry) and not ment to be eaten hot. I now understand why you have been eating at the wrong temperature all these years. Sort of like eating brownies out of the oven because you like pie out of the oven.

Ted

Ah, but I LOVE custard (Bird's Eye instant especially!). And I love it HOT (smooth not lumpy) - over my pies!

Ah, but I LOVE custard (Bird's Eye instant especially!). And I love it HOT (smooth not lumpy) - over my pies!

Maybe if you tried pumpkin pie as most people enjoy it, you might like it better.

Probably not.

Enjoy your apple and cherry pies. That much more pumpkin for the rest of us.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom