Old 10-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #21
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Fletcher,

With your interest in small RVs and possibly a Sprinter conversion you may find these helpful

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/ for general Class B as well as specific conversations.

And

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php for Sprinter specific info.

I don't post much on either site but read a lot. I have when having problems on a trip reached out to the Sprinter forum and gotten timely help.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Boulder
Vessel Name: Skipper
Vessel Model: Everglades DC230
We also have a sprinter built out for boondocking, but it's somewhat primitive. Heat/bed/cabinets/sink/solar/inverter.

The only thing a generator would be beneficial for is A/C. Very hard to power a/c with solar/batteries. Otherwise, solar is relatively cheap and easy to do. I have 200W panels, 200amp-hr AGM battery. Plenty to run coffee pot/microwave/lights/fan/laptop charger/diesel heater overnight.

Like others said, Harvest Host is generally well liked by users for overnight camping spots. We have about 100 nights spent in the van in the last 4 years, and I have a list of boondocking sites stored on my phone. Way better than a Walmart, IMO. Especially the view, access to hiking/biking/fishing sites!
H2O_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #23
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
With our '03 Sprinter chassis and '05 Gulfstream conversion we have endurance issues when boondocking. Specifically black water and potable water. We don't like the big crowded campgrounds. The gems we've found are National Forest unimproved camp grounds. The camp sites tend to be smaller, further apart and more private than the bigger fully serviced places. The big rigs making lots of noise tend to shy away. They help us extend endurance by having potable water available and toilets, often pit toilets.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Great info everyone, Thank You.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:56 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Down the road my wife and I may purchase a small, Class B or C RV. Many of the models in this class have propane generators, but some are diesel. Rating about 3KW and the predominant brand is Cummins Onan. Curious if there are any RVers out there, and how they like their propane generators? Any downsides to these compared to diesel?
I came across a discussion about Advanced RV (AVR), a high end custom van/Class B build out company. It sounds like they’ve installed one Cummins Onan propane generator in the last 8 years and it wasn’t because of cost.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:35 AM   #26

City: Millport
Vessel Name: Alchemy
Vessel Model: Albin 40 Trawler
I third the recommendation to ditch the generator and instead go with a good sized battery bank that is charged by the vehicle engine when running AND also charged from solar panels.

I have a Chevy P30 that I made into a food truck and put solar panels on it with a battery bank. Contrary to all the very adamant internet and social media "expert" advice I never did install a generator on my truck..... After 6 years of operation I never once needed one. I also power my HOME off this solar/battery system.

In my experience, it is a matter of not wasting power and also sizing your system to accomodate your actual useage, NOT OVER COMPENSATING. Those who say do the math to see what you need, add 30%, then double it, are OVER engineering things making them far bigger and more expensive then they need to be.
Zoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:25 AM   #27
FF
Guru

We have a MB Sprinter class C 24 ft Isata with a propane gen set.

The huge delight of propane is the very low maint required , especially if the unit is seldom used.

The carb stays clean and operation after 2-6 months of non use is fine.

Propane reefer and heat and hot water require some batt juice but not the gen set.Solar easily makes up for the parasite loads and function loads.

It for us is a "nice" to have , rather than a "need" to have.

We prefer campgrounds so a question of overnight with air cond by gen set seldom is a choice.Fine for an o'nite , but would get old and costly 24/7.

WE have had class A 20&24 gas units , 35 ft bus conversions and noe the Sprinter. The sprinter is a delight as it is as quiet as a gas unit but cruises at 80mph towing a 12 ft trailer (for snow birding).

Sprinter weight is a concern so a total electric camper might better use a diesel, and forget a huge batt bank.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/

The Escapees RV club is one of the best source for folks that need free camping info.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:14 AM   #28
Guru

"Campendium" is an excellent app to find campgrounds, all types including boondocking sites.
we've stayed at one Harvest Host so far, the Tallahassee Auto museum. It was a good experience.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:30 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Alamitos Bay Marina
Vessel Name: DESTINY
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588 Extend Hull & Hard Top
Have a 2019 ERA 70A 4x4 (Class B), love the it, it has propane Gen, Solar Panels, Lithium batteries...the propane consumption is reasonable we get about 24 hours run time on 16 gallon tank... (you do not run it 24 a day). We have a habit of filling up the propane when fill up with diesel. The diesel tanks on the sprinters are SMALL...you have refill at 1/4 tank, if you run lower and are on hills you risk air getting into the system as it shallow long and narrow tank (hence the lights and warning you get at 1/4 tank. We still love our boat more, but the Van as we call is great tool for long road trips, and get aways when not on the boat or going to it. We have put 25K miles in just 1.5 years so I guess we like it alot more then I am sharing.
mdstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #30
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
MD, I'm also getting 4x4 on my Sprinter, which will be built out by Sportsmobile. On various Class B and Sprinter forums, there has been grumbling about engaging/disengaging 4x4 and other difficulties using it. How has your experience been with Sprinter 4x4?
Old 10-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #31

City: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
RVs use permanently installed generators powered by gas, diesel or propane. All are 3,600 rpm units (except maybe really big ones on big diesel pusher RVs), are air cooled and are noisy. A Honda 2000 in Eco mode makes 2/3 as much noise.

Diesel gensets are only used on diesel driven MHs. Similarly for gasoline generators. LP generators are used on some smaller Mercedes Sprinter diesel based RVs as they are several thousand dollars cheaper and these RVs are price sensitive.

Diesel driven boats use diesel generators and gasoline driven boats use gasoline generators. I have never seen a propane generator on a boat. You can't install an air cooled RV type generator in the engine room of a boat and I doubt that any propane fueled ones are made for engine room installation.

So there is very little crossover from boat and RV generators. The only common element is the Honda type portable generators which are used on both, but sitting outside.

David
that is not true, my Onan generator runs at 1800 RPM, only th Big Box store type run at 3600 RPM. My 34' Diesel is using Propane as the manufacturer found it cheaper than diesel
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:22 PM   #32

City: North Jersey & Plattsburgh NY
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
I have been shopping for a home standby generator and have noticed something I don't think gets the attention it deservers. People buy big generators to handle maximum conceivable loads and spend most of the time running with low load. Then they run of of fuel because of the higher fuel burn of the larger generator. Add the weight and size sensitivity of RVs and why would you want a larger generator?
AdkChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:32 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
MD, I'm also getting 4x4 on my Sprinter, which will be built out by Sportsmobile. On various Class B and Sprinter forums, there has been grumbling about engaging/disengaging 4x4 and other difficulties using it. How has your experience been with Sprinter 4x4?
You need to be at full stop, flat surface (not a hill or slope) and put in neutral, foot on brake and hit the button...no issues.

The manual clear explains it and those with issues are on slopes or not fully depressing the break, zero movement is required on transmission or tension on transmission to switch....
Old 10-30-2020, 05:26 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Boulder
Vessel Name: Skipper
Vessel Model: Everglades DC230
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstrum View Post
The diesel tanks on the sprinters are SMALL...you have refill at 1/4 tank, if you run lower and are on hills you risk air getting into the system as it shallow long and narrow tank (hence the lights and warning you get at 1/4 tank.
A bit off-topic, but FYI - my 2016 sprinter has a 24 gallon tank, and in 170,000 miles, I don't think I've ever stopped for fuel when the tank was even close to being 1/4 full. My light comes on at 1/4, but I run it LOW. Like 1/10 mm from E. Never had air issues, and drive gravel roads, mountains, etc.
H2O_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:28 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
A bit off-topic, but FYI - my 2016 sprinter has a 24 gallon tank, and in 170,000 miles, I don't think I've ever stopped for fuel when the tank was even close to being 1/4 full. My light comes on at 1/4, but I run it LOW. Like 1/10 mm from E. Never had air issues, and drive gravel roads, mountains, etc.
Great to hear, I have not had the issue personal but many on other forums have drilled that into me!!!
Old 10-30-2020, 06:23 PM   #36
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
RV’s are selling faster than boats these days due to C19. One model (Sprinter chassis) I was looking at has an 18 mo wait for new orders, and they appear to be selling at close to sticker.

Is anyone storing theirs outdoors when not using it? Our association has a dirt lot in full sun/no coverage which is very reasonably priced (as opposed to paying rent to store it indoors). I figured if I take care of the exterior similar to a boat, frequent washes and wax details every 6 to 8 months the paint and trim should be able to handle the full sun and weather in San Diego?
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
RV’s are selling faster than boats these days due to C19. One model I was looking at has an 18 mo wait for new orders, and they appear to be selling at close to sticker.

Is anyone storing theirs outdoors when not using it? Our association has a dirt lot in full sun/no coverage which is very reasonably priced (as opposed to paying rent to store it indoors). I figured if I take care of the exterior similar to a boat, frequent washes and wax details every 6 to 8 months the paint and trim should be able to handle the full sun and weather in San Diego?
WE keep our outside year round in our office( happens we are North San Diego, Vista, CA) just like car or boat, wash it and its fine, with solar panels, full sun is great. People argue over to keep refer on or off, just like a boat lots of opinons....Like our boat we have shades that pull down and block the full sun and that helps keep the heat inside down. I was told the ceramic is better then waxing for what that is worth...going to try that in the next few months.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:22 PM   #38

City: Huntington Beach
Vessel Name: Bad Wolf
Vessel Model: 28' Safari Flybridge
Wow, so many thoughts an opinions. Agree with many, but had a few thoughts that I didn't see mentioned (best as I recall), so thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I'm all for a geni on boats AND RVs. Although, 80% of my needs can be handled by solar panels, sometines you just need POWER. The bat. & inverter capacity for AC is too much for most RV's. Geni is better. Also, if camping in the redwoods or lots of trees (like I was last week), there can be no solar at all. Had to run every day to keep up bats. Not to mention, I've had times when everything went wrong at the same time & ended up with both engines dieing in boat. (Fuel prob.) By the time the issue was solved, both bats. were tapped & I'd been blowing out into the open ocean. The geni fired up one engine, then started 2nd off that. Same can apply for small RV's that can accidently end up dead in a similar way, but you can jump with the geni. Lastly, on the subject of LP vs fuels; obviously diesel on diesel RV's or gasoline on gas. But for truck campers they use LP so you don't have the liquid fuels on them. Mine has a 3400W LP that is veriable speed inverter style. I think that is the only way to go. Constant speed suck too much fuel & are noisier. I can idle charging or running basically anything other than the AC without it breaking a sweat. Not too loud. Also, air cooled geni's are a bit noisy in general, but good quality engine room soundproofing (like in boats), does wonders. Also, they rarely soundproof UNDER the geni, so making a panel that allows for airflow, but encloses the bottom with the soundproofing on the panel, dropped my outside db's from 84 to 66 standing about 6' from the RV. Hope this helps. Have fun. That's the important part!
kierasdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:02 PM   #39
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Efoy is very popular in Europe, not as popular here, don't know why. Efoy is a methanol fuel cell that generates so many amps per day/per canister. It is expensive to use it solely for electrical power generation but combine it with solar and in sunny areas you could easily go out for a month with the larger model (three sizes, I recommend the top two but not the small one).

In my boat I have solar (300 watts) and the 210 Efoy, combine these two electrical sources with the motor alternator also generating power and I can be out for as long as I want, but I will say one month.

I run two NovaCool units, one a refrigerator with one of those small freezer compartments and a dedicated freezer so I can carry a substantial amount of frozen goods on an extended cruise without hitting up a marina. I use a smaller wattage toaster, roughly ten minutes a day. I also will run a small microwave - 700 watts (but really 1050 watts - it takes power to make power) for about five minutes a day. And I will run an electric kettle, smaller wattage, smaller kettle for about 5 minutes a day (coffee). Also a 28 inch LED TV that is 50 watts, so not much power, and my stereo and speakers. I use roughly 150 amps a day. Also some fans sometime.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:30 AM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Narsaq
Vessel Name: ALICE H.
Vessel Model: SANMAR LNG TUG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Boondocking is what we have in mind....sort of like anchoring out rather than marinas. This Sprinter has 4WD which will allow access to fly fishing spots via BLM and Forest Service roads. Looking forward to it.
If you have solar, you don't need a generator. It's a waste of money and weight - that could be used elsewhere.
ghostrider454 is offline   Reply With Quote