Prior owner of my boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2dboat

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
WAVELENGTH [formerly San-Bar]
Vessel Make
1981 CHEER MEN PT 38 EUROPA
After owning only wood boats and the last Chris Craft for 15yrs, buying a "Clorox bottle / Tupperware" boat was a not an easy adjustment. Through the process I even looked at two wood Grand Banks Trawlers but their condition was not aligned with there structural condition.
Then we stopped in Bay City Michigan on our way back from Onekama Mi last March looking for trawlers. Stopped at Skipper Bud's on the Saginaw River and we saw San-Bar. I knew nothing about Cheer Men boats other then they appeared to be another generic Taiwanese trawler.
Stepping board San-Bar, the first thing that struck me was the gloss on the teak. The decks looks like they'd be kept up with Cetol and the doors and window frames appeared to have spar varnish on them. The interior wood was still a perfect hand rubbed finish. If the windows have ever leaked the leaks were addressed and not left till 'next year'. The Lehmans were bright red - no leaks no stink. Bilge was quite clean. Wiring is ship-shape generally. Lots of spares on board.
I was sold - this was the boat suitable to replace our recently sold "Charmed". So I asked the sales broker "this is a a really nice boat why are they selling her", and then he proceeds to tell me the skipper is deceased and wife and sons kept the boat for a few summers and then decided it was time. I found out later that the prior owner was ten yrs older then me when he passed {note to self: enjoy the boat now!!}.
Along, with a boat that was properly maintained and loved I have the spares and organized in binders all the manuals and documentation for the engine and accessories. The winterizing was simple thanks to some clever valves that have the gallery sink drain connect into the wash down input and head water intake. The Lehman's run perfect and the teak only needs maintenance coats to keep gleaming. San-Bar is perfect and I've gotten over the 'not a wood boat' trauma.
When people used to ask me about buying a wood boat I tell them to buy someones 'baby'. Not necessarily the boat that has had money thrown at it and then flipped and never a "project". Buy the boat that looks good and has had years of proper care, up to the point of sale in it's history. Clearly that advise is sound for 30+ year old glass boats too.

So, this message is my posthumous thank you to Barry Strieter {US Navy} for doing such a brilliant job of caring for San-Bar. In time we may rename the boat but you'll not be forgotten.

Great post! A tribute to the previous owner!

Ted

It's nice to see such a tribute. The PO obviously loved the boat as many of us love our boats and cared for it as he would a loved one.

Good job on finding San Bar.

It's good to read this, after so many posts dissing a PO and his/her "handiwork".

I think a little (or maybe a big) part of your PO lives on through the boat, and through you. There's something satisfying about that.

My own boat had a meticulous PO once, but a later PO un-did some of that, as well as inflicting a bit of new damage. Still, the good workmanship shows through the signs of neglect, and is appreciated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom