City: Slicker?
Poop fuel

https://scienceblog.com/489333/fuel-...-closer-think/

Old 11-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
The development of new fuels and new energy sources is a fascinating field. Hopefully, in the future we'll see more commitment to those tasks.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Put one in every local, state, provincial and national capital worldwide and we can eleminate OPEC.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Put one in every local, state, provincial and national capital worldwide and we can eleminate OPEC.
Here is one to ponder. If it was made a requirement (and some assistance provided to do so) that every home have solar energy covering at least up to a reasonable percentage of their roof area, what percentage of our electricity could that provide? Same for businesses.

Human nature is to develop and use new methods only when pressured to do so, either by lack of availability of old, by laws, or by extreme financial benefit. That hasn't happened to us on energy. Maybe a scare now and then got attention, but nothing has happened that has frightened us enough to say it's not optional, but we must find new ways.

Now, I'm not saying this even would benefit us net when all was said and done. But, if you wanted electric cars to rule the day or even just hybrids, it's simple enough. Don't allow anything else to be built and sold after a certain date.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BB. "Don't allow anything else to be built and sold after a certain date." HAH! Good luck with THAT!
Case in point... Coal fired power plants account for about 35% of total US production. That number is falling due to the plants being phased out and replaced with alternate energy sources (natural gas, nuclear, wind etc.). There is enough coal in PA and VA to supply ALL of the US power requirements for the next 200 years BUT, and we all know the reason for not tapping this valuable resource-It's too dirty.
Natural gas and nuclear are inherently cleaner so it's the "flavor of the day" due to the higher profit margins desired and realized by the power companies who are not willing to invest in the technology to burn coal cleanly. The technology DOES exist and clean plants CAN be built but it's too expensive (cuts into profits). So, in the end, it's the cheapest way out. NOT the best, IMO, the cheapest.
Getting back to your electric cars. WHAT? Take away my car? Well, it's my God given right to drive what I want where I want and I want a big car with a big engine...See my point?
The UAW will have a field day with the government over THAT one. Not to mention the oil and ethanol lobbyists.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Take away my car? Well, it's my God given right to drive what I want where I want and I want a big car with a big engine...See my point?
Actually there is a precedent. We set fuel mileage requirements and it was a struggle but we did it. We added Catalytic Converters. We did it with seat belts and air bags and side door protection. Now, I know it won't happen, mostly due to oil industry but also the ability to produce the batteries. However, you set a date, five to seven years future, and no new cars after that point except hybrid and electric. Provide buyer incentives until then to encourage sales prior to that time. I wouldn't propose this myself without a lot more study, but I do believe there are some options out there that could be incredible. Not taking away anyone's car, just redefining your next one.