Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowgoesit

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Muirgen
Vessel Make
50' Beebe Passagemaker
Just took a look at CNN, Fox News, etc. Not a one of them mentioned that this is the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor 79 years ago. But there are lots of stories about corruption, dirty politicians, weather. Just goes to show you what the news considers important . . .

images

Sad, very sad.
I doubt if they teach or make reference to the Pear Harbor attack in schools.

I can’t speak about Fix who will never knowingly be able to count my eyeballs in their advertising revenue, but CNN and CBS both had coverage on it last evening. Also NPR this morning.

And our governor who despite being a businessman has been equated with a communist dictator lately by the know-nothings, had a proclamation recognizing it officially for the first time, I believe, in the state’s history.

But I agree it hasn’t exactly been a slow news day today.

Last edited:
My siblings, one of whom is a member here, and I have always been proud of our parents who behaved well under fire that day in Pearl Harbor. Dad ran to the sound of the guns, and Mom helped her friends find safe haven. Never forget. It resonates and will continue to do so farther into history than today's pettiness.

My siblings, one of whom is a member here, and I have always been proud of our parents who behaved well under fire that day in Pearl Harbor. Dad ran to the sound of the guns, and Mom helped her friends find safe haven. Never forget. It resonates and will continue to do so farther into history than today's pettiness.

Thats what this thread is all about. Not political views of any member to wax poetic about politicians he personally finds offensive. Nobody gives a hoot . OP wanted to acknowledge a major event in all our countries history. If you are so unhappy, leave.

I had a teacher in high school who was an altar boy in a church that overlooked Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. He had finished his official duties and sneaked outside to have a cigarette (a bad habit that ultimately caught up with him). He talked one time in class about watching the planes approach and thinking that something was wrong. He watched from beginning to end and then joined in to try to make order of the chaos.

The only story that gives me the willies more was from an acquaintance that lead his men up the cliffs at Omaha Beach only to return during the night to scavenge ammunition from the soldiers washed up on the shore. He also only told the story once in the years I knew him.

Now, it's an imposition for the government to ask us to wear a little mask in the grocery store. Where did all the patriots go?

Last edited by a moderator:
Marco, I'm right here. You can ALWAYS count me among that group called Patriots. Our flag is flying proudly this morning on the front porch because I AM a Patriot and always will be.

LenBuchanan, please go back to your post and edit it to remove what you said. This thread is not about politics, its about an important time and place in America's history.

History is being systematically erased. I can somewhat understand it not being mentioned in Canada since our media just parrots US media. Will remembrance day meaning change.
2020 never happened, prepare for the new world order all you young ones.

I had a teacher in high school who was an alter boy in a church that overlooked Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. He had finished his official duties and sneaked outside to have a cigarette (a bad habit that ultimately caught up with him). He talked one time in class about watching the planes approach and thinking that something was wrong. He watched from beginning to end and then joined in to try to make order of the chaos.

The only story that gives me the willies more was from an acquaintance that lead his men up the cliffs at Omaha Beach only to return during the night to scavenge ammunition from the soldiers washed up on the shore. He also only told the story once in the years I knew him.

Now, it's an imposition for the government to ask us to wear a little mask in the grocery store. Where did all the patriots go?

greatest generation! My dad was a Marine on Guadalcanal. Field commissioned. He never would talk about actual fighting. He would talk about funny stories before and after getting deployed.
He was nominated for the Legion of Merit for capturing a "pill box" but wouldn't accept it. He said all the real heroes were still on the beach at landing. Battle of Bougainville.

Thank you to those who served the "Greatest Generation" ever.

What is troubling is this:

Ask a high school or college student this question:

'What is the significance of December 7, 1941?'

For the last 20 years or so I have asked many students this question. Only 3, yes only 3 student knew the correct answer.

Sad.

My dad was already in the army and had an assignment as a master sergeant to sort out logistics and supplies in conjunction with the local airfield at the time. He was off duty that day so went to the movies. My mom was working in the pentagon so he needed to fill his free time. The movie stopped among the rumbling of overhead aircraft. So he went outside. Seeing the destruction he tried to get to his service post but was commandeered to help do transport of wounded then for fire fighting. He saw some horrible things in the South Pacific islands later on but recalled watching the battleships going down and the total chaos of the day as one of his saddest days.
When he was alive he was nearly mute every Dec7. We knew what was in his thoughts.

My dad was already in the army and had an assignment as a master sergeant to sort out logistics and supplies in conjunction with the local airfield at the time. He was off duty that day so went to the movies. My mom was working in the pentagon so he needed to fill his free time. The movie stopped among the rumbling of overhead aircraft. So he went outside. Seeing the destruction he tried to get to his service post but was commandeered to help do transport of wounded then for fire fighting. He saw some horrible things in the South Pacific islands later on but recalled watching the battleships going down and the total chaos of the day as one of his saddest days.
When he was alive he was nearly mute every Dec7. We knew what was in his thoughts.

Amazing response by ordinary people thrust into extraordinary situations. It was all about the country, not about the individual. So many sacrifices by so many. I didn't appreciate it as a young man.

Few if any under 20 years old can properly answered "what happened on Dec 7", unless they are currently in the Navy.
30 years from now, 9-11 will be meaningless too.

Few if any under 20 years old can properly answered "what happened on Dec 7", unless they are currently in the Navy.
30 years from now, 9-11 will be meaningless too.

As many in our generation have forgotten other equally important commemorations. Even with the modern lost cause movement, most people can’t remember any of the dates that used to be fervently remembered in the years after the American civil war. Or that Veterans Day used to be the celebration of Armistice Day from WW1 and had to be rescued from the dustbin of America’s short attention span by rebranding it to the super-holiday we have now (albeit an important one.)

Most Americans think that the Pearl Harbor attack was the only time the USA was invaded, having presumably been taught that somewhere. Never mind the other Pacific territories that were attacked and/or invaded during WW2 including Alaska. “But Hawaii was a state!” they say. Um, no it wasn’t. The War of 1812, Spanish American War, the Border War, incursions during the Mexican Revolution...never mind terrorist attacks.

Not including virus pandemics from Christopher Columbus through today, or season-long droughts causing famine, I believe the single event that killed the most US Americans was the Galveston Hurricane of 1900. Not that well known or at least regularly remembered outside the local region.

Our nation's capital was attacked, occupied, and partially burned, a fair portion of the state of Massachusetts in what is now Maine was occupied under martial law, and some think that - outside of the civil war - our little experiment in republican democracy came the closest to ending...in 1813-1815. We have the Star Spangled Banner, yes, and every Tennessee middle schooler (ironically) learns about the Battle of New Orleans and Andrew Jackson's part in it, but who remembers June 18, or December 23, or August 24 these days?

Not minimizing the impact or honor of those who were there on December 7, or who served in WW2. But I was originally trained as a historian and I think about how society evaluates tragedy fairly often.

Last edited:
Amazing response by ordinary people thrust into extraordinary situations. It was all about the country, not about the individual. So many sacrifices by so many. I didn't appreciate it as a young man.

It's slowly dissipating in many of our new generation of me-first millennials and younger. Not many are willing to sacrifice for their country or their God-given rights. That's what our greatest generation that ever lived handed down to us.

I couldn't agree more with what has been expressed in this thread of remembrance.

At the risk of being called out for "thread-jacking", I'm going to introduce a question here that is related to the topic.

My grandfather was a Chief Bosun on the Arizona. He was on shore leave on the 6th of December and had not returned to the ship by the morning of the 7th (although I think I remember being told that he SHOULD have been back at the ship by that time. Hmmm...). Anyway, he started keeping a hand-written diary that day and kept it going for quite awhile while he was reassigned to other ship(s). I am fairly certain that quite a number of entries are describing what's called today the battle of Midway...and he was apparently in the middle of it...along with thousands of others.

Anyway, I have this diary and have for years been trying to figure out what to do with it. It seems to me that a museum or some other society might be interested in having it. I checked the Arizona memorial website and couldn't find anything that would indicate interest in non-financial donations. Given that there are so many Navy and Retired Navy people on this forum, I was hoping maybe people here might have some suggestions. Note: I'm not looking to sell this diary. I am only seeking to donate it to an organization that cares.

Also, I've been thinking about scanning it into a pdf file. If anyone on here would like a (free) copy of the file, send me a PM.

My dad was an aviation ordinanceman assigned to maintaining PBY Black Cat Squadrons. He was based on Guadalcanal, Munda, and Bougainvillea. His unit was moved to the Bouganville airfields as soon as they were captured from the Japs. The Japs counterattacked trying to retake the airfields . According to my mom, dad manned a machine gun. He told her that he was mowing then down. It was the only time I ever heard anything except "funny stories" and this was indirectly after my dad died at 53yo.

greatest generation! My dad was a Marine on Guadalcanal. Field commissioned. He never would talk about actual fighting. He would talk about funny stories before and after getting deployed.
He was nominated for the Legion of Merit for capturing a "pill box" but wouldn't accept it. He said all the real heroes were still on the beach at landing. Battle of Bougainville.

ScottC, the National Park Service might be interested in the diary they manage the USS Arizona Memorial.

Scott, I tried to send you a PM but, I could not find a place to put the 'subject' so it would not let me send my request for the PDF of the diary.
Thank you.
Dan.

I couldn't agree more with what has been expressed in this thread of remembrance.

At the risk of being called out for "thread-jacking", I'm going to introduce a question here that is related to the topic.

My grandfather was a Chief Bosun on the Arizona. He was on shore leave on the 6th of December and had not returned to the ship by the morning of the 7th (although I think I remember being told that he SHOULD have been back at the ship by that time. Hmmm...). Anyway, he started keeping a hand-written diary that day and kept it going for quite awhile while he was reassigned to other ship(s). I am fairly certain that quite a number of entries are describing what's called today the battle of Midway...and he was apparently in the middle of it...along with thousands of others.

Anyway, I have this diary and have for years been trying to figure out what to do with it. It seems to me that a museum or some other society might be interested in having it. I checked the Arizona memorial website and couldn't find anything that would indicate interest in non-financial donations. Given that there are so many Navy and Retired Navy people on this forum, I was hoping maybe people here might have some suggestions. Note: I'm not looking to sell this diary. I am only seeking to donate it to an organization that cares.

Also, I've been thinking about scanning it into a pdf file. If anyone on here would like a (free) copy of the file, send me a PM.

I think the archivist at the Memorial would at least like to talk to you about it. Hopefully this is up to date, if Scott is no longer there ask for his replacement, or the Chief of History Services there:

Many visitors to the USS Arizona Memorial and WWII Valor in the Pacific National Monument ask what types of material our museum collects. Also, many ask if we are interested in obtaining specific items that they own or are willing to purchase on our behalf. Below is a short list of items themes and background for artifacts the National Park Service desires. If you are interested in donating such items below, please contact the Museum Curator Scott Pawlowski at 808-422-3333.

Last edited:
Scott,

Perhaps the National Museum of the U.S. Navy, in D.C., would be interested? Never been to the museum, we were thinking about going last Spring, but then Covid hit.

Or perhaps, the National WWII museum in New Orleans would be interested? This is a great museum. I had the opportunity to spend a day there a couple of years ago. I would offer that it's a great place to take younger folks as well and is very kid friendly.

Jim

Naval History and Heritage Command at https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/heritage/origins-of-the-navy.html

Publish it in a book. Sounds interesting.

Thank you, everyone, for the interesting ideas and suggestions! I will explore them and eventually come back to this thread and let you all know what happened

To those who sent me a PM requesting a pdf file of the diary. I WILL respond. It may take a couple of weeks...

Something I didn't know was on December 8th Japan attacked the Philippines in a Pearl Harbour style secret attacked. The generals for Army and Navy in Pearl Harbor lost their jobs. The general in the Philippines kept his job. General McArthur.

Scott, I tried to send you a PM but, I could not find a place to put the 'subject' so it would not let me send my request for the PDF of the diary.
Thank you.
Dan.

Hi Dan,

No worries. I will send you one somehow.

I will try sending you a PM so you can respond with an e-mail address for me.

The last time I read my Grandfather's diary was some 30 years ago. I thought I'd better read it again, before scanning and distributing. Just finished reading. I will start scanning tomorrow. I am hoping the pdf file will be small enough to be sent to e-mail accounts. If not, I may have to break it up into a couple of files.

In post #16, I said his rank/position was Chief Bosun. That was incorrect. It was, at the time, Chief Signal Man. CSM. This is so stated on page 1 of his diary.

It could be that he rose to the rank of Chief Bosun in later years, as he was a career Navy man. I didn't really get to know him, as he died in 1960, when I was only 1 yr old. There is a box in my basement that will have some of the rest of the story. Something for me look into during this Corona lockdown period.

I can confirm here that after Arizona was blown up, he was transferred to the Astoria and a task force that spent the next 6 months in the Pacific. He described the bombing and sinking of the Lexington, when the Astoria was present in the battle of the Coral Sea. He also described what he witnessed in the battle of Midway and told of the later sinking of the Yorktown due to damage from that battle.

I saw the movie "Midway" in 1976, when it came out, but other than an exciting to movie to watch, it had little meaning to me as teenager. Surprisingly, I did not know of my grandfather's history and of this diary at the time. Now, I need to see if I can find this movie online to watch again. It will certainly have some more meaning to me!

Ok - I just thought I'd let everybody know I finished the scan to pdf. 88 pages. 14.Mb file. I have started sending copies out to those who sent me a PM request. If anyone else reading this would like a copy, just let me know.
Best regards,
Scott

Giving it to a museum ensures it will end up in a dusty room, never to be seen again.
It is a part of history that should be shared, read and reread.

Last edited:
Ok - I just thought I'd let everybody know I finished the scan to pdf. 88 pages. 14.Mb file. I have started sending copies out to those who sent me a PM request. If anyone else reading this would like a copy, just let me know.
Best regards,
Scott

Hi Scott. Consider using a file transfer program such as Drop Box or WeTransfer. I use the free version of WeTransfer all the time and it works well.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom