Parts of this future are already here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems we be fighting wars for lithium not oil oh wait there lithium in Afghanistan lol haha Having deployed I can laugh I wonder what posses people to think all the batteries and toxic hi tech waste is any better than what’s happening now

Greetings,
Mr. RC. You bring up a significant point-toxic waste. I think every rechargeable battery I've seen says NOT to dispose of in the regular trash. They should be properly disposed of. I'd put money on the fact that less than 50% make it to a recycling facility. MUCH easier to toss with the resultant environmental pollution and loss of the trace elements/rare earths.

"MUCH easier to toss with the resultant environmental pollution and loss of the trace elements/rare earths."

There is a hefty core charge on LA batts , perhaps a discount on purchasing the next batt?

Greetings,
Mr. FF. I suspect the number of LA batteries that go to land fill, in a year, pales in comparison to the millions of small device batteries (flashlights, remote controls, cordless tools etc.). NO deposit on any of those.
Throw in the tons of electronic waste just to add yet more...

Greetings,
Mr. RC. You bring up a significant point-toxic waste. I think every rechargeable battery I've seen says NOT to dispose of in the regular trash. They should be properly disposed of. I'd put money on the fact that less than 50% make it to a recycling facility. MUCH easier to toss with the resultant environmental pollution and loss of the trace elements/rare earths.

What do you base that on? Every source I have seen estimates 97-99% recycled and 98% of the total battery recycled. I also have a lot of direct knowledge of the battery recycling industry. With the lack of primary lead smelters in the US, secondary smelters have assumed even a greater role. Auto batteries are the most successful recycling program in place.

With the debacle in Texas , I wonder how long it will take to create inverters , so the electric vehicle running on its gas or diesel engine can pump some amps into a home? AKA Co Generation.

Even if this administration gets its Green dream, $10.00 a gal for fuel, as long as there is not rationing it will be cheaper than burst pipes,and more comfortable than sleeping in the car.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. BB. Indeed. A goodly percentage of LA batteries ARE recycled (in the US) BUT It's NOT lead I'm referencing. Perhaps "rechargeable" was an incorrect choice of a word on my part. It was Mr. FF. that mentioned LA batteries, not me. Read my rebuttal/clarification (post #64)

Regarding dry cells: "...dry cell batteries contribute about 88 percent of the total mercury and 50 percent of the cadmium in the municipal solid waste stream."
Hazards of Household Batteries - Battery Recycling & Disposal

"... each year Americans throw away more than three billion batteries. That’s about 180,000 tons of batteries. More than 86,000 tons of these are single use alkaline batteries."
https://everyday-green.com/battery-statistics/

"...98% of batteries bought in the UK are not recycled and end up in landfills.

The Facts - Environmental impact of Disposable and Rechargeable Batteries - Battery Company Blog

"To recycle a battery, it currently costs €1 per kg. But the value of raw material reclaimed is only a third of that. Recycling lithium costs five times as much as extracting virgin material. Hence, only 5% of lithium-ion batteries are recycled in Europe."
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017...lectric-cars-carbon-sustainable-power-energy/

In reference to my post #40. "... a whopping 14 billion pounds of plastics are dumped into the ocean each year."
https://www.globewater.org/facts/water-pollution-statistics/

Last edited:
The last thing I EVER want to see in my lifetime is flying cars. Unless these vehicles are under a 'fool proof' automated traffic control system that is directly linked (making them flying automated transports - i.e. human only puts in destination) you'll have near constant shrapnel falling from the sky in urban areas. A significant number of people can't drive in 2D - and now you want to throw in the Z axis. They don't make helmets large enough for this future.

Well, we have the tech today to make that work. However, just won't happen because of cost. The vast majority of families won't be able to afford the flying car, and the logistics of driving to an airport will also kill it. The current flying cars (only one I know of) is a poor excuse for both a car or a plane.

Now, the drones have more future, but have their issues, too.

Geesh, guys, can I come out from hiding yet? Please don't shoot the messenger.

Mike,
Not yet, we'll let you know when.....:)

While your message does have some merit, the bulk of it is poppycock and just won't happen for years and years..... if ever.

As for oil going away... not for a Loooooong time. It's on the INCREASE over the next 20 years.

"After recovering from the "exceptional ferocity" of the COVID-19 crisis, world oil demand will rise from 97.9 million b/d in 2019 to 104.1 million b/d in 2040, according to the IEA's base-case scenario in its latest annual World Energy Outlook."

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. S. Sorry, but your cut and paste is impossible to decipher other than the first sentence.

Greetings,
Mr. S. Sorry, but your cut and paste is impossible to decipher other than the first sentence.

RT,

Thx, can't understand why it does that crazy formatting, reduced it to plain text, and still did it. After reformatting, saving as txt, rft and playing with it, finally got it to work.

Also, can't figure out why I'm getting double spacing on the paragraphs. Only on this forum. I'm sure I've screwed something up....

End of day
Don’t know the future
Don’t know what science may come up with in the future
Don’t know what the political actors will do.

Do know climate change is occurring.
Do know this is causing human hardship and this will increase.

Hence, regardless of political persuasion hopefully we can all agree mitigation efforts should start now. We should support public policy that furthers mitigation and make our personal decisions with that in mind.

Mike,
Not yet, we'll let you know when.....:)

Whoa, wait a minute. Did you guys think I am smart enough to come up with all of that on my own, with this feeble ol' brain?

Wow, I'm honored! :blush::blush::blush:

Plagarism was a skill I learned in junior high and have honed to a fine art over these many, many years!

Last edited:
"Plagarism was a skill I learned in junior high and have honed to a fine art over these many, many years!"

You could have been a politician!

The workers in Texas that will be really happy are the plumbers and wallboard repair folks.

I would find out how hard it is to convert a home generator from natural gas to propane and sell kits .

On a range its just a different sized burner tip, could it be that EZ on a home gen set?

Back
Top Bottom