Old 09-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Park Bench

You are having an evening stroll through the park on a warm fall evening and decide to rest for a while on a bench.

Who would you like to have walk up and sit beside you for a pleasant one hour conversation? Anyone past or present.

Family and religious figures excluded.

I know there are a lot of people who read this forum and never post - this might be a great way of making your first post and letting us know, indirectly, a little bit about yourself!
Attached Thumbnails
bench.jpg  
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. m. What an interesting and thought provoking question. Where does one start? Discounting any language barrier, I suppose WHO one chooses would say more than any topics that might be discussed.

One has to ask oneself to what purpose would one want to chat with any specific person and what level of edification one hoped to achieve?

I do suppose that anyone I might choose would depend on what I think I know about them based on commonly available information about said person which may or may not be correct. I would hate to waste my precious hour talking to someone who did not deserve their reputations.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:46 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. m. What an interesting and thought provoking question. Where does one start? Discounting any language barrier, I suppose WHO one chooses would say more than any topics that might be discussed.

One has to ask oneself to what purpose would one want to chat with any specific person and what level of edification one hoped to achieve?

I do suppose that anyone I might choose would depend on what I think I know about them based on commonly available information about said person which may or may not be correct. I would hate to waste my precious hour talking to someone who did not deserve their reputations.
Agreed. When I was working there were training sessions where I was asked who I saw as my "person I would like to meet." After my father I always said Churchill.

I then challenged myself with the above question now that family was excluded. Would I like Churchill to walk up - maybe not because he was pretty egotistical. Einstein? I couldn't even start to hold his attention in a conversation.

So who would I really like to have a conversation with? I feel it should be more of a peer to peer (clearly though me being the less interesting peer) to get more out of it.

Still thinking.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:11 PM   #4
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. m. Can one include fictional characters? Sheriff Andy Taylor or perhaps Hercule Poirot?
Old 09-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,
Mr. m. Can one include fictional characters? Sheriff Andy Taylor or perhaps Hercule Poirot?
No, real people only. Past or present.

Struggling to pick just one?

Or struggling to pick even one?
Old 09-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #6
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. m. Aw snap! There goes Barbarella.

So many to choose from. Confucius? Julias Caesar (We share the same birthday)? Samuel Clemens? Isaac Asimov? Yup. Struggling to pick just one.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:43 AM   #7
Guru

City: Las Vegas
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
One of the most memorable people I met and conversed with many years ago was a WW2 Vet. He wasn't pretentious, nor was he bitter about life. Just a guy who made it back home from hell....and very grateful. Married his hometown sweetheart, had several kids, lots of grandkids and even more great grandkids.
But could describe what happened as a youth in a far off war as though it was yesterday.
And yes, he could tell you the names and history of every friend he lost during a few precious years in that far off place.
It was a different time, less we forget.
Cheers
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:39 AM   #8

City: La Conner WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
I could name many, but I'll just go with Sir Robert Peel.

He served two stints at Prime Minister, during one he helped pass some of the first child labor laws in Britain at the beginning of the industrial age (actually putting caps on how much both young children and women could work in factors where there had been none) and later formed the London Metropolitan Police. His work in that arena was so well thought out that his core principles still stand today as the basic model today for how police should operate (derive their authority from the people they police).

It would be a very interesting hour.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Barbara Ann
Vessel Model: Ranger Tug R31-S
I'd like to spend some time with an old co-worker. He was the "custodian" at a motorcycle shop where we both worked, and had been there since it opened. One of the most dedicated and lovable people I've ever known. He was a reasonably high functioning man with Down's syndrome, and his world view was a bit less expansive than my own. He had an absolute commitment to perfection in everything he did, and was protectively possessive about his duties. He didn't like anybody to try to help him, as he felt it reflected on his own abilities to perform a task. Heck, I even had to ask permission to make a fresh pot of coffee when I first started working there, as that was one of his jobs.

Anyway, I learned more about work ethic, compassion and humanity from that wonderful man than anybody else in my adult life.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:42 AM   #10
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Samuel Clemens or H.L. Mencken. Heck, I'd like to just sit in and listen to their conversation with each other.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalphreak View Post
I could name many, but I'll just go with Sir Robert Peel.

He served two stints at Prime Minister, during one he helped pass some of the first child labor laws in Britain at the beginning of the industrial age (actually putting caps on how much both young children and women could work in factors where there had been none) and later formed the London Metropolitan Police. His work in that arena was so well thought out that his core principles still stand today as the basic model today for how police should operate (derive their authority from the people they police).

It would be a very interesting hour.
Which is why policemen in the UK have the nicknames Bobbies or Peelers!
Old 09-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
I'd like to spend some time with an old co-worker. He was the "custodian" at a motorcycle shop where we both worked, and had been there since it opened. One of the most dedicated and lovable people I've ever known. He was a reasonably high functioning man with Down's syndrome, and his world view was a bit less expansive than my own. He had an absolute commitment to perfection in everything he did, and was protectively possessive about his duties. He didn't like anybody to try to help him, as he felt it reflected on his own abilities to perform a task. Heck, I even had to ask permission to make a fresh pot of coffee when I first started working there, as that was one of his jobs.

Anyway, I learned more about work ethic, compassion and humanity from that wonderful man than anybody else in my adult life.
That's really neat. I wonder if you would like to have more conversation with him as he was, or now as a fully functioning man who remembers how he was and felt from back then?
Old 09-15-2019, 07:24 AM   #13
Guru

Robin Williams.

I suspect it might not be much of a two way conversation, and I don't think I would ever ask why. But maybe before he got up to walk away I would have more of an insight into the person and people.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #14
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Park Bench

Benjamin Franklin.

For a living person it would be Cokie Roberts.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #15
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. m. Along the same lines as Robin Williams, George Carlin. That man verbalized my outlook on life, in a lot of ways...

I've heard it said that behind every cynic is a disappointed idealist.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Greetings,
Mr. m. Along the same lines as Robin Williams, George Carlin. That man verbalized my outlook on life, in a lot of ways...

I've heard it said that behind every cynic is a disappointed idealist.
Wifey B: Can't believe you're being disloyal to your avatar.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Ours is easy and since there are two of us we get to choose a couple. We had a brief time once but only for a focused discussion, not wide and free flowing. However, this would involve no discussion at all about their lives before retirement, all about life since then.

Bill and Melinda Gates.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #18
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Neil Armstrong. I heard him speak once and it was fascinating. I don’t think he gets the credit he deserves for being smart. He had a Masters in Aeronautical Engineering and was a college professor. That’s on top of being a world class fighter pilot.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #19

City: La Conner WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
One of the most memorable people I met and conversed with many years ago was a WW2 Vet. He wasn't pretentious, nor was he bitter about life. Just a guy who made it back home from hell....and very grateful. Married his hometown sweetheart, had several kids, lots of grandkids and even more great grandkids.
But could describe what happened as a youth in a far off war as though it was yesterday.
And yes, he could tell you the names and history of every friend he lost during a few precious years in that far off place.
It was a different time, less we forget.
Cheers
Some of the best lessons about life, war, and peace come from those who had war thrust upon them. Most of them are gone now...
Old 09-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #20
Enigma

Greetings,
Ms. WB. "... disloyal to your avatar." I DID think about it BUT I talk to myself constantly. I seldom listen...