OTDE: experiment fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It does seem a bit sad, however, that the simple remedy of suggesting that just not going there is the solution if you're offended isn't determined to be the most sensible reaction.

Maybe common sense isn't so common?

Now, how am I going to rag on Mule every day? :)

Anyone feel like me that it wasn't the OTDE that was the failure.... :)

:thumb::thumb:Absolutely!! in spades, the following post represents all that needs be said to the "Solution".

"Never went on the site but I have no regrets.":facepalm:

Not knowing how the mystery of "Who or How" is appointed a godly seat on the forum "committee", if it is a democratic or sovereign act, or what, I'd throw out that "Twistedtree" has proven a well qualified member for future consecration.:whistling:

All posted with devotion and esteem intent:flowers::flowers:

Regards,
Al

, I'd throw out that "Twistedtree" has proven a well qualified member for future consecration.:whistling:

Wifey B: You think Twisted should be declared sacred? Or appointed to a sacred office like a bishop? :confused:

Once again, a few irate extremists have poisoned the well for everyone else.

Just a friendly reminder that all posting standards apply to PMs as well. No corner of TF is a platform for obtuse, extremist bloviaters. Thanks for your efforts to keep it civil and please continue to report those posts and PMs that are not in accordance with our stringent guidelines which are best summed up as, "Be Nice".

What many of you fail to realize is that this has been an ongoing struggle amongst the moderators ever since OTDE has been around. There were some that were for leaving it alone. And some for getting rid of it. And then some for a conditional compromise. It was always good healthy discussion. And up until now, we have all came to the conclusion of leaving it alone.

This time, it did not win. Again, there were people on all sides. But in the end, it was nothing personal. It was simply done in the interest of the Trawler Forum brand. If we had kept it, it was getting to the point that it needed to be moderated. And guess what??? More work for us. So the solution is to let it go. Simple as that.

This had nothing to do with Twisted Tree other than he was the one that brought it up recently. But it was not a new discussion for us. It was a continuous one. And here we are. So.... read into it what you want. But we came to this solution as a team. And it had nothing to do with anyone in particular! It was simply business.

Last edited by a moderator:
I moderated on another boat forum and the issue of an off topic section came up. There was seasoned members that were constantly telling us that we needed such a section so that politics would stay in one place and away from boats. Finally the reply was to two of the folks, " If you want to make the rules on a website, then start your own website, make the rules and talk about anything you wish". :thumb:

Yeah, let's get back to batteries, anchors, and heads, oh my! Boooooring.:nonono:

Yeah, let's get back to batteries, anchors, and heads, oh my! Boooooring.:nonono:

I agree, It is what it is- I will act accordingly .:surrender:

Al-Ketchikan

Actually, I found the OTDE somewhat boring after a while. The same people posting the same messages over and over. Not many participants willing to budge on their concrete view of the world.
I won’t miss it.

Is it really gone or as was stated, renamed and harder to find on TF? :confused:

Greetings,
Mr. s.

200.gif

(Gonzo)

It was simply done in the interest of the Trawler Forum brand. If we had kept it, it was getting to the point that it needed to be moderated. And guess what??? More work for us. So the solution is to let it go. Simple as that.

I moderated on another boat forum and the issue of an off topic section came up. There was seasoned members that were constantly telling us that we needed such a section so that politics would stay in one place and away from boats. Finally the reply was to two of the folks, " If you want to make the rules on a website, then start your own website, make the rules and talk about anything you wish". :thumb:

Yep, that's the path our owner's forum took.

Lost a few members in the immediate aftermath; too bad, some were very good/very helpful, technically. Otherwise, no other discernible impact.

-Chris

Nasty letter in cursive script on slick paper in disappearing ink, via USPS delivery, is a relatively fool proof, non committal way to communicate displeasures.

In general, by my way of thinking... Saying the wrong things in worldwide web exposure is just plain dumb. And, in recollection, I too have printed a few dums during the last couple decades. But - who hasn't?? :ermm:

So... Good Bye!! OTDE. RIP!

:dance:

PS: A thought for the mods and TF members/contributors... Maybe just the OTDE "Humor" thread could be continued. There was some fairly dark, pretty funny laughs posted there. No blacker than late night show hosts' such as Colbert; some posts just as funny too.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. A. "Maybe just the OTDE "Humor" thread..."

200.gif

Strange, the things ya just don't know about some people...

There are however a large number of fun cartoons , that might be politically "edgy", that can be great moments of fun.

Are they now banned too?

There are however a large number of fun cartoons , that might be politically "edgy", that can be great moments of fun.

Are they now banned too?

Well FF, you just put your finger on the essence of the problems associated with trying to control free speech. You can ban it altogether, as in this case, and punish the 99.9% to shut up the .1%. Or, you can try to control it by trying to define what is, and is not, acceptable speech. That never works, since it invariably results in creeping opinion suppression. After all, there is always going to be at least one person who is going to be offended by any opinion, no matter how true it may be.

One alternative is to ask those people who have little to nothing to contribute to the topic of boating to find someplace else to work through their issues, like perhaps a psychiatrist's couch.

Or, and this would be my preference solution, put those people who the moderators are offended by on a global ignore list, and make that list available to all members. Then, a member can remove that person from their own personal ignore list If they want to hear for the umpteenth time why some politician or other should be frog marched out of Washington DC. It would be a short list that you only get on after a warning or two. But this would allow these people the chance to speak their mind, even if to an empty room.

I saw the OTDE page a few times and I had a few topics moved there. However, I am more interested in reading about boating experiences, issues and fixes. I am a politically charged person, but I can post those views on FB or Tweet it. Don't need TF to get my political or other trash out on the airwaves.

Now let's talk about how those in the northern part of the country are complaining how it sucks as freeze up is here, and those in Florida has nice warm weather or those of us in the PNW has the BEST cruising area EVER!!:rofl::facepalm:

OK folks this thread has been closed. We have removed the last couple of posts that once again bring up a directly political topic that has NOTHING to do with this thread, rather push an opinion or agenda and will incite those with other views to respond. This is the definition of trolling.

Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.

This thread, which served as an announcement was left open to encourage discussion about this action but when threads are hijacked, as this one was discussion is ruined for all. When you see this beginning to happen please hit the report button so we can try to get discussions back on track and play your part by not engaging the trolling.

Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom