Olympics, Sailing, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
The Olympics are a welcome diversion while Greater Sydney is----- ----.
Australia had the Men`s Lasers(boats)won before the last race, all he had to do was cross the start line, and he did. We are a chance in the 470s(boats) too.
In the pool(water) Emma McKeon amassed 11 medals. At one point, had Emma been an actual country, she`d have been 10th overall!
Jessica Fox romped home in the Women`s canoes(boats) in an impressive aggressive run. They are more like kayaks than canoes,but she had to accept 3rd in kayaks. An impressive win.

Last night Australia was standing 4th overall, good for a population of 26M, having ousted ROC from 4th. China(mainland) was still leading USA.
Considering all "the difficulties", the 2020 Tokyo Summer Games are going surprisingly well, and they`re not finished yet. Hope you are enjoying them too.

I'm kind of worn out on all the personal political or social campaigns. The fencing drama with the pink masks, the "x" gesture at the podium by the gay shot putter, the Simone Biles drama - I'm supposed to feel sympathy for the stress of an entirely voluntary pursuit? - the Brit soccer players and others taking a knee for BLM or social justice or whatever, or New Zealanders waving an aboriginal flag, or.... Everybody's got an agenda or a grievance.

kthoennes, I missed all those eventualities... still enjoying catching some events,while isolating at home. Today is the last 470 dinghy race, the Aussies just need to start and not get disqualified to win. Years ago I sailed on a 470 as forard hand, using a trapeze, now that`s fun! Hope you can find less controversial events to watch.

I'm sure a good part of it is US media spin or distortion or highly selective reporting. Of course they're going to concentrate on the conflicts and controversies. I'm sure for every athlete making some gesture or insulting her country or nursing some grievance, there are dozens of others who are there for the rare thrill and challenge of world class sport. More power to all of those.

Just watched the last race of the 470s. A contest between Spain and Sweden for silver and bronze, Australia avoided the start melee, looked to be staying back as they fought it out... but the old warhorse saddled up,Australia 1st again, Sweden silver,Spain bronze. Great camaraderie between crews celebrating after the finish, a joy to watch.

Australia took gold in the 2 man kayaks, a close run thing, Germany and Czech Republic just behind. Again great camaraderie between crews of competing boats was on display. Australia is still in 4th position on the medal tally, despite losses in hockey, and some other "land" sports. Today is the final of the female Beach Volley Ball,hope that goes better, though I think it`s with USA.

I'm kind of worn out on all the personal political or social campaigns. The fencing drama with the pink masks, the "x" gesture at the podium by the gay shot putter, the Simone Biles drama - I'm supposed to feel sympathy for the stress of an entirely voluntary pursuit? - the Brit soccer players and others taking a knee for BLM or social justice or whatever, or New Zealanders waving an aboriginal flag, or.... Everybody's got an agenda or a grievance.

I'm sure a good part of it is US media spin or distortion or highly selective reporting. Of course they're going to concentrate on the conflicts and controversies. I'm sure for every athlete making some gesture or insulting her country or nursing some grievance, there are dozens of others who are there for the rare thrill and challenge of world class sport. More power to all of those.
Neither comment has anything to do with boating, these are your personal takes and biases.
So much for the 'new TF rules' we now are apparently supposed to adhere to. :rolleyes:

Good on you, aussie kayakers! that was some good watching! :)

Last edited:
Neither comment has anything to do with boating, these are your personal takes and biases.
So much for the 'new TF rules' we now are apparently supposed to adhere to. :rolleyes:

Good on you, aussie kayakers! that was some good watching! :)
The margin to the German team was just .3 of a second. So close!.
In the Oz vs US clashes, we`ve come second 4 times in the last 2 days. Last one was the Beach Volley Ball (water visible), in fairness our team was originally from South America.
That said, the loss to Belgium for gold in men`s hockey,in the shoot out as it was 1 all at full time,hurt.

Notable yesterday was UK diver Tom Daley spotted knitting between dives, and watching the womens diving. Well, it`s Tom Daley, he gets to do what he likes, competing since age 14.
tom-daley-knitting.jpg

Itried to watch some of the sailing competition, but dang, it was boring as crap. The commentary was poor. The audio and camera work was equally sub-par. Yea, I know it is hard and not cheap to film an event like this, but it is like they really put the most minimal effort into trying.

Wifey B: We're not huge Olympic fans, but the highlight for me was seeing a country of 2 million people and another rather small one of 25 million make the final four in basketball. Yay to Slovenia and Australia teams. :D

Wifey B: We're not huge Olympic fans, but the highlight for me was seeing a country of 2 million people and another rather small one of 25 million make the final four in basketball. Yay to Slovenia and Australia teams. :D
Thanks,I watched that too.Hard fought, more fouls (fowls=chickens) than my great Aunt`s back garden years ago! We got trounced by USA, so getting a bronze was something. How about Patty Mills, he scored about half of Australia`s points, amazing energetic performance, I was so glad for them.
Good news report: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08...oomers-olympics-lessons-for-leaders/100359666

We`re pretty much locked down, stuck at home, watching some Olympics has been good. I watched the 470s last race, filming seemed ok, it was a fairly quick race, they even filmed the Aussie and Spanish helmsmen extending arms between boats, and ending up in the water! Camaraderie between competitors is amazing, not just in sailing.

Last edited:
"Everybody's got an agenda or a grievance. "

Except perhaps the fellow that got the gold for judo, while passed out.

Thanks,I watched that too.Hard fought, more fouls (fowls=chickens) than my great Aunt`s back garden years ago! We got trounced by USA, so getting a bronze was something. How about Patty Mills, he scored about half of Australia`s points, amazing energetic performance, I was so glad for them.

Wifey B: We've always loved Patty. Spurs will miss him. Hope Brooklyn works out for him. :)

Wifey B: We've always loved Patty. Spurs will miss him. Hope Brooklyn works out for him. :)
Energy,agility,and a burning desire to win. Saw his parents interviewed, father is "first nations",very proud. I read Vellavedova was in tears after the win, amazing seasoned players still get so emotional, Olympics I guess. Mills is pin up guy here,wonder how they chose between Mills and Matt Belcher to carry the flag at the closing ceremony.
I teared up a tad, watching the win. But then, lability comes with 6 weeks lockdown, no end in sight.
The other star performance was Cedric Dubler,abandoning his own chances to support training partner and bronze medalist Ash Moloney in the decathlon. Apparently the encouragement language can`t be repeated, but it worked.
Like swimmer Emma McKeon, asked after a win if she had a message for her family replied "F*** yeah!. Oh s**t, I said F***".

...the Brit soccer players and others taking a knee for BLM or social justice or whatever, or New Zealanders waving an aboriginal flag, or.... Everybody's got an agenda or a grievance.
Point of order - it was some Australians who waved the aboriginal flag...just sayin'...

Some agendas are created by the media, such as the racial slur incident at the MLB game where the fan was yelling to the team mascot named "Dinger", not the N word that all of social media and the news reported immediately as a racial incident. Excellent fact reporting as usual.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom