Is this OK with you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife B, for the last time, you're still missing the point. If you look at the pictures again, you will see where someone has scratched out "She" on the placard. That is what is being objected to. The PC Nazi imposing their standard on the museum, and then the cowardly museum caving. The destruction of property to demand an adherence to their PC doctrine as opposed to an intellectual conversation on the merits of one pronoun versus the other.

Ted

Wife B, for the last time, you're still missing the point. If you look at the pictures again, you will see where someone has scratched out "She" on the placard. That is what is being objected to. The PC Nazi imposing their standard on the museum, and then the cowardly museum caving. The destruction of property to demand an adherence to their PC doctrine as opposed to an intellectual conversation on the merits of one pronoun versus the other.

Ted

Wifey B: I object to the defacing, regardless. That's a separate issue then the museum making the change. :ermm:

I’ve searched all over for a logical definition of PC...this one seems to apply:

'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'

Last edited:
Wifey B: I object to the defacing, regardless. That's a separate issue then the museum making the change. :ermm:
So you don't see them making the change as a result of the defacing? PC has spoken (defaced), resist at your own peril. "Brave New World " V2.0.

Ted

Wifey B: Can a single one of you state why you refer to a boat as a she? :rolleyes:

:hello:As a proven and proud "chauvinist" - :flowers:'Shape', I love a good looking stern "bustle" and waves of beautiful 'curls' flowing from the angled stem underway.
The anchor, hanging perched on the throat of the pulpit like a diamond jewel.on a smooth throat. The feeling of intimacy laying near the ribs while near the throbbing heart of my boat, "She" is my second woman to my faithful and wonderful wife. .:smitten:

Wifey B: Can a single one of you state why you refer to a boat as a she? :rolleyes:
Yes I can. Using "She" is a sign of admiration, respect and adoration. Using a feminine form is not related to reducing a woman to an object but the exact opposite, bringing an object to the highest level of respect and care. Never ever I would consider any man at the same level of adoration than my beloved wife and using a feminine form for something is only to show respect to it. The ones who don't understand that are clueless culturally sterile extremist.

L

200w.webp

So you don't see them making the change as a result of the defacing? PC has spoken (defaced), resist at your own peril. "Brave New World " V2.0.

Ted

Wifey B: I see them as having considered and made the change. Certainly the defacing brought the concern to their attention. If they changed simply because of the defacing, then that's weak and poor on their part. However, if they felt the change was appropriate, they couldn't decide against it because of the defacing either. :)

I’ve searched all over for a logical definition of PC...this one seems to apply:

'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'

Wifey B: My definition: "The avoidance, sometimes taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against." :)

Greetings,
Ms. WB. "...as much of it is very seriously called for..." SOME of it is very seriously called for.
What's wrong with male, female, other? See if you or anyone else can figure out the new "gender" system.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/what-each-of-facebooks-51-new-gender-options-means

SERIOUSLY???? 51?

Wifey B: I have no problem figuring out the gender system, although I'm not fully aware of all 51. No one has said anything is wrong with male or female, but most PC has nothing to do with those. Using derogatory terms toward gays is something I consider quite wrong. As to male or female, a boat is neither. Calling a job title by a male centric or female centric name is inappropriate as it becomes a means of excluding the other or, at the least makes the other uncomfortable. I don't think calling a boat female makes other boats uncomfortable because they don't have feelings.

Comparing the use of sex specific pronouns on inanimate objects is in no way similar to misusing sexual pronouns or other terms on human beings. Those defacing the displays clearly missed that point, but it only takes one. As to the decision to change, that's up to the museum and I would not fault them had they not changed nor can I fault them for changing. :)

Hubby B: I was around boats all my life but never heard of boats referred to as "she" until sometime after moving to the coast. I found it strange, perhaps funny, but had never done so myself and still haven't. I've also never referred to my car as a "she" or "he." Perhaps if I'd named a boat or car after a female or male then I might refer to it as a he or she, but I haven't done so.

To me it's not at all a matter of political correctness, but a matter of language correctness. Perhaps it's a generational thing. I don't refer to any inanimate objects, other than dolls or bears made to look like girls or boys, as she or he.

When gender became so PC, in a certain Court system we were faced with Judge Coleman becoming Judge "Coleperson", so no one was offended (except maybe Judge Coleman). The first female Judge,Judge O`Toole,we called "Judge NoTool", because....
Then there is the feminist promoted word,"womn", instead of "woman", so that the repellent and vile "man" part (in the feminist view) is no longer there giving such deep offense.
If you want to agonize about ships being called she or he or something in between, go ahead, but I suspect that way lies madness, or dragons, or...

What if the boat has a boys name but it identifies as a girl? Wouldn’t the boat be offended if you referred to it as “He”?

Wifey B: My definition: "The avoidance, sometimes taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against." :)

Perceived by whom? Being aggrieved has now become its own industry.

Perceived by whom? Being aggrieved has now become its own industry.

Wifey B: If I perceive that it may make another group of people feel excluded, marginalized or insulted, then I don't feel I should use the term. We know the words that others find offensive, even when we don't understand sometimes. ;)

Wifey B: I don't care what sex you use for your boat, but then I'm bisexual. :rofl:
At last, the context to post Peter Allen`s "Bicoastal"

Last edited:
Wifey B: If I perceive that it may make another group of people feel excluded, marginalized or insulted, then I don't feel I should use the term. We know the words that others find offensive, even when we don't understand sometimes. ;)
So, as I choose to personify my vessel with the the female pronoun "She", and you not wishing to insult my choice of pronouns or marginalize my attachment to my vessel, will respect my feelings (not insult me), and refer to her as she?

Ted

The real answer is that the old English language used to have more gender specific words, like latin and the subsequent romance languages. They have evolved out of the language in all but a few examples.
They have evolved out of English. In Spanish, French, and Italian, "boat" is still a feminine noun. In these languages, all nouns have a gender, which usually has nothing to do with being "manly" or "womanly."

Despite any romantic stories to the contrary, as Shrew says, that's the real reason that we refer to boats as "she." It is a feminine noun, so it is a she. No more deep meaning to it than that.

So, as I choose to personify my vessel with the the female pronoun "She", and you not wishing to insult my choice of pronouns or marginalize my attachment to my vessel, will respect my feelings (not insult me), and refer to her as she?

Ted

Wifey B: If I know she's your lover as it appears, I'll refer to her as "she" while in your presence. It's sort of like names. I'll call someone any name they want to be called. :)

Now wondering if any female owners of boats refer to them as "him" or if they go "she" or go both ways. :confused:

Now, if I was writing a story about a battleship, I'd refer to the ship as an "it", but then I've never had and doubt I ever will have the occasion to write about a battleship. If I ran a museum, I'd use "it".

TF has covered some interesting ground but this is really an esoteric example of WOFTAM. Though the last 2 letters, standing for "And Money" are inapplicable. But, I have to follow it to see how it turns out, does that make it clickbait?

TF has covered some interesting ground but this is really an esoteric example of WOFTAM. Though the last 2 letters, standing for "And Money" are inapplicable. But, I have to follow it to see how it turns out, does that make it clickbait?

In a way, everything on the forum is. Visitors and pages viewed all are part of the equation. Now, if you'll click through on an ad, they'd really appreciate that.

In a way, everything on the forum is. Visitors and pages viewed all are part of the equation. Now, if you'll click through on an ad, they'd really appreciate that.
I use Adblock, never see an advert. But you are right. And Forum Owners could have an interest in controversial threads attracting clicks, leading to some interesting possibilities. Sometimes the most controversial click drawing threads get axed by the Mods,something contradictory there. Wonder if some threads, like say gun ones,ever attracted gun or ammo adverts? As I say, I never see the adverts, I don`t know.
He/she/it? For some, the distinction is blurred. I heard Caster Semenya interviewed today, I thought at first it was a male interpreter speaking.
It`s true, French words have a "gender", "la"= female;le= male. Tradition rather than true gender attribution. A bridge over a river is "le pont", but a bridge hardly has a gender.

So the museum has made the decision to refer to its own assets at "it."

They made that decision based on whatever variables they took into the decision.

Now we have a group of people trying to persuade them not to do it because they shouldn't bow to one of the variables; "PC Pressure."

But if they now changed their mind would they would have bowed to "Anti-PC Pressure," and therefore would be doing what the anti-PC-lobby is against?

The museum can take on board whatever decision variables they decide and make their own decision. Unless you want to volunteer to join their boards and committees etc. then you can blather all you want.

If anyone really dislikes the museum's decision they can make their feeling known by not paying an entry fee. However I suspect that those making most noise about it have never been to that museum, and never planned to. Including the OP.

Last edited:
So the museum has made the decision to refer to its own assets at "it."

They made that decision based on whatever variables they took into the decision.

Now we have a group of people trying to persuade them not to do it because they shouldn't bow to one of the variables; "PC Pressure."

But if they now changed their mind would they not have bowed to "Anti-PC Pressure," and therefore would be doing what the anti-PC-lobby is against?

The museum can take on board whatever decision variables they decide and make their own decision. Unless you want to volunteer to join their boards and committees etc. then you can blather all you want.

If anyone really dislikes the museum's decision they can make their feeling known by not paying an entry fee. However I suspect that those making most noise about it have never been to that museum, and never planned to. Including the OP.

While your analysis was thoughtful, you missed one key point. It appears do to the sequence of events, that they were pushed into it. There seems nothing to support the idea that the museum was considering a change to their policy before the vandals struck. Caving to the vandals demands was probably the simplest solution, not necessarily the correct solution.

Ted

While your analysis was thoughtful, you missed one key point. It appears do to the sequence of events, that they were pushed into it. There seems nothing to support the idea that the museum was considering a change to their policy before the vandals struck. Caving to the vandals demands was probably the simplest solution, not necessarily the correct solution.

Ted

I agree. But their decision regardless of how much one disagrees with a variable.

Now they need to use their museum cameras etc. to catch the vandals and prosecute.

Greetings,
Mr. RD. Re: Your post #29. I realize "double plus ungood" should be one word but I separated for those unfamiliar with Newspeak. Plusgood?

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak

Mr. m. I was just going to suggest security cameras. Good call on your part. I would think that a MARITIME museum would be keen to maintain a tradition that has been around since the early 18th century (from what I could find out).
Look out Mother Earth. They're coming for you...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom