Old 06-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Vessel Model: Glacier Bay 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Lena and I both have one and love it. I’m a bit of an insomniac and it’s great for reading at 3 in the morning without having to turn on a light.

We also have library cards from St John’s County. They have over 3000 Kindle books you can borrow anywhere in the world as long as you have internet. The new releases may be waitlisted but you can get an email when the one you’re interested in becomes available.

If I haven’t finished a borrowed book, the library gives you two weeks, I put the Kindle in airplane mode till I finish. Sort of cheating the system.
Definitely get a Library card!! Most Libraries belong to consortiums that share kindle books. Its easy and I have not bought a book in years thanks to my wife who set me up through Overdrive
Mainship400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #22
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Love my Kindle (Paperwhite). Would never go back to paper books!

Can't help you with history as sci-fi is my favorite genre.

The Kindle app for the iPad or iPhone is great too, although like someone else said, the Kindle itself is better for extended reading as it's lighter and the screen is less taxing on your eyes.

BTW, most people that say they'd rather read a paper book haven't used a Kindle.

I know this was really about history books, but I'm a huge Kindle fan so had to chime in!
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #23

City: North Carolina
Michener is a great suggestion. Long reads, a wonderful combination of historical fiction, science and geography.

The Source, Alaska, Chesapeake, Hawaii, Tales of the South Pacific...
monk228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:02 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I own a Kindle Paperwhite (two actually) and really like them. I also have the Kindle app on my iPad and Android phone. For extended reading, I prefer the Kindle.
I prefer the iPad because the iBook app is much more sophisticated and user friendly. I also particularly like being able to read at night without the light on to bother the wife, and the white light of the Kindle is not as good for this as the white on black format the iPad offers, which I use a lot.

I also found it annoying that you don't get access to a printable receipt with Kindle that you get when ordering via iBooks on the iPad. In my view the only benefit of the Kindle is being a bit smaller and lighter to hold. I might try this Kindle app on the iPad - that might be the best way to go for me.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:22 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Cruising
Vessel Name: Möbius
Vessel Model: XPM 78-01
A good source for deals on Kindle books

You might consider signing up for the daily email from BookBub. This is an excellent source for finding bargain and free books for the Kindle. You select the type of books you like - in your case historical, and perhaps seafaring - and they will send you an email every day alerting you to books on sale.

What makes them different, is they really read the books, and they only select books that are quality books. You won't be offered books that are poorly written and edited.

If you don't want the email, you can just go to their website and search for bargains.

Happy reading!

https://www.bookbub.com/
ChristineKling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:05 AM   #26
FF
Guru

IF you have a library card many millions of titles can be downloaded for free with Overdrive.

I do 150-200 books a year and the bride does about the same in audio books , she listens while weaving.

Although the device can store a history of the last 100 books , its best to start a paper list , to keep track.

$50. for an Amazon Fire was the second best bucks spent , (first best was for a GPS).

Enjoy!!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:24 PM   #27
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Thanks for the overdrive tip FF!
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:07 AM   #28
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I like reading Bernard Cornwall. He writes very good readable historical fiction.

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/bernard-cornwell/
In particular, The Saxon series. Amazingly good.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:40 AM   #29
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
In particular, The Saxon series. Amazingly good.

Thanks for the heads-up! I didn't know the latest book was out.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #30
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
Thanks for the heads-up! I didn't know the latest book was out.
Just finished it. The remarkable thing about Cornwell's books is the historical accuracy and the depth and sophistication of character development. In this last book, Uthred is aging and it is starting to show, but like most older folks, he compensates in other ways to get the job done. That said, the ending to this one is a bit surprising. Love the complexity of the politics as well. You'll enjoy it BL.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:35 AM   #31
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Just finished it. The remarkable thing about Cornwell's books is the historical accuracy and the depth and sophistication of character development. In this last book, Uthred is aging and it is starting to show, but like most older folks, he compensates in other ways to get the job done. That said, the ending to this one is a bit surprising. Love the complexity of the politics as well. You'll enjoy it BL.

After Aubry/Maturin this is probably my favorite series. Yes, the historical accuracy is impressive. I spend 4-5 hours/week in my home "gym", a tedious time but for the endless stream of documentaries on YouTube that I watch while exercising. I've seen a number on that period including about Alfred the Great and one on castles even visited Bamburgh Castle.

Have you read "Pillars of the Earth"? An amazingly immersive read set a few hundred years later.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:11 AM   #32
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
After Aubry/Maturin this is probably my favorite series. Yes, the historical accuracy is impressive. I spend 4-5 hours/week in my home "gym", a tedious time but for the endless stream of documentaries on YouTube that I watch while exercising. I've seen a number on that period including about Alfred the Great and one on castles even visited Bamburgh Castle.

Have you read "Pillars of the Earth"? An amazingly immersive read set a few hundred years later.
I read Pillars of the Earth over the period of a week sailing back from Hawaii, and you're right, it was terrific. If you haven't tackled Cornwell's Sharpe series, you'd like that as well. There are about 35 of them, but they are all excellent. Napoleonic army era, tracking the entire history of that time through an Uthred like infantry soldier.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #33
FF
Guru

The Amazon FIRE is $50.00 and does great downloads from local library .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:12 AM   #34
Curmudgeon

Quote:
I read Pillars of the Earth over the period of a week sailing back from Hawaii, and you're right, it was terrific. If you haven't tackled Cornwell's Sharpe series, you'd like that as well. There are about 35 of them, but they are all excellent. Napoleonic army era, tracking the entire history of that time through an Uthred like infantry soldier.

I read a few in random order as I could get them from the library. I should start from the beginning. I was turned on to them, and Cornwell in general, when I saw a few episodes of Sharpe's Rifles on BBC.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:01 AM   #35
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Everyone probably knows this already, but you can also get the Kindle app for iPads and other tablets. It gives you full Kindle functionality without having to buy and carry around another device.
I had the Paperwhite, but found that at night, it hurt my eyes/head/ something. So I traded with my ex for her Kindle 3.

But the reality is I hardly use it, as I use the Kindle app on my Samsungs. All my books and newspaper are on my S-7, while large format magazines are on my 12" tablet.

With my phone, I like having to carry only one device no matter where I am, though of course, when I travel or on the boat, I have them all.
And i can read easier on my phone at night or in a dark room.

I found the Civil War series by Jeff and Michael Shaara to be great. As well as, gore Vidal's Lincoln and Burr. If you do like the Civil War, then the book about Sheridan, the Terrible Swift Sword" is fantastic.
I also turned out I loved Newt Gingrich's Alternative history book about the civil war, which starts from the premise if Lee had won Gettysburg by a flanking movement that Longstreet had begged for.

Lastly, the Robert Frump books about the maritime industry, the Merchant Marine and the USCG are must reads. He just published one about the El Faro, but I found "Until the Sea Shall Free Them" to be a better book.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #36
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
I had the Paperwhite, but found that at night, it hurt my eyes/head/ something. So I traded with my ex for her Kindle 3.

But the reality is I hardly use it, as I use the Kindle app on my Samsungs. All my books and newspaper are on my S-7, while large format magazines are on my 12" tablet.

With my phone, I like having to carry only one device no matter where I am, though of course, when I travel or on the boat, I have them all.
And i can read easier on my phone at night or in a dark room.

I found the Civil War series by Jeff and Michael Shaara to be great. As well as, gore Vidal's Lincoln and Burr. If you do like the Civil War, then the book about Sheridan, the Terrible Swift Sword" is fantastic.
I also turned out I loved Newt Gingrich's Alternative history book about the civil war, which starts from the premise if Lee had won Gettysburg by a flanking movement that Longstreet had begged for.

Lastly, the Robert Frump books about the maritime industry, the Merchant Marine and the USCG are must reads. He just published one about the El Faro, but I found "Until the Sea Shall Free Them" to be a better book.
Great tips, thanks!