An Obscene Amount Of Money

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do soccer teams have salary caps like American football? Even though many football players receive obscene salaries, at least that cap "evens the playing field" among franchises.

Do soccer teams have salary caps like American football? Even though many football players receive obscene salaries, at least that cap "evens the playing field" among franchises.

No. There are various employment rules in Europe that make US type salary caps difficult to put in place.

However the European governing body UEFA, in alignment with the clubs, have a formula whereby the clubs' spending is restricted based on their revenue (actually based on limiting losses). This is to protect clubs with smaller revenues from trying to match spending by the "big" clubs and ending up in bankruptcy.

Called the Financial Fair Play rules.

So each club in Europe can spend (or lose) differently based on revenue.

There is a difference between amount of $ for transferring a player to one club to another and the player salary. In this article there is no details but looks like this is the $ amount for transfer.
Clubs own the player contract and a player is a " marchandise" to be sold or leased between clubs.

Beyond that, amount is huge but it is private money like any capital held in financial market, I am more shocked when looking at govs wasting people money in many countries.

And what is more shocking is the fact that one is rewarded with insane amount of money while barely able to read and write when kids with education are struggling to find a job. And sorry for the caricature of the dumb sport player, but they are rarely Nobel prises.

L

Last edited:
There is a difference between amount of $ for transferring a player to one club to another and the player salary. In this article there is no details but looks like this is the $ amount for transfer.
Clubs own the player contract and a player is a " marchandise" to be sold or leased between clubs.

Beyond that, amount is huge but it is private money like any capital held in financial market, I am more shocked when looking at govs wasting people money in many countries.

And what is more shocking is the fact that one is rewarded with insane amount of money while barely able to read and write when kids with education are struggling to find a job. And sorry for the caricature of the dumb sport player, but they are rarely Nobel prises.

L

Not in this case. Messi joined Barcelona at age 13. To date he is a one team player and has never been transferred.

That is what he personally gets.

Not in this case. Messi joined Barcelona at age 13. To date he is a one team player and has never been transferred.

That is what he personally gets.
Not my intend to argue but looks more like the $ amount needed to be paid to FC Barcelona for the transfer as he was property of the Barsa.

L

Not my intend to argue but looks more like the $ amount needed to be paid to FC Barcelona for the transfer as he was property of the Barsa.

L

"According to El Mundo, Messi's four-year contract was worth a possible 555,237,619 euros until 30 June, 2021.

It means the 33-year-old would be receiving up to £123m a season."

"According to El Mundo, Messi's four-year contract was worth a possible 555,237,619 euros until 30 June, 2021.

It means the 33-year-old would be receiving up to £123m a season."
So you are right, sorry for arguing [emoji482]

Hope they will sell enough goods for their ROI lol

L

So you are right, sorry for arguing [emoji482]

Hope they will sell enough goods for their ROI lol

L

You see how much his shirts sell for? :eek:

Last edited:
I am just wondering what kind of boat Messi have and if he is working on any projects these days?

IF Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ,,, I would assume "Obscene " is also.

He is getting paid market rate for his skills .

The owners would never have agreed to pay him that much unless they were quite certain that they were going to make EVEN MORE! It is, therefore, the owners, more so than the players, who are making "obscene" amounts of money. I say, more power to him, for demanding that he be paid a fair percentage of what he is earning for them.

Soccer is right up there in the "boring" class with tennis. Up and down the field, backwards passes, glacial action, and with an occasional, very occasional brilliant display of athletiscm. Ho hum.

Soccer is right up there in the "boring" class with tennis. Up and down the field, backwards passes, glacial action, and with an occasional, very occasional brilliant display of athletiscm. Ho hum.

Yeah, 'cos baseball is a thrill a minute.

Then there is driving left around in a circle.

Then there is basketball, the game where only the last two minutes decide anything.

Of course grid iron, which takes three hours to play a 60 minute game, and where the padded up protected players are too dumb to make their own calls on the field. Plus get to rest every few seconds.

Ice hockey - nuff said.

Anything else?

Attachments

• mh-prince-fielder-1451430902.jpg
    mh-prince-fielder-1451430902.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
European sports have very little parity due to the inability to cap expenditures. In turn, US sports achieve some degree of parity between the major and lesser markets although still far from equal. However, if there was no salary cap, then the NY teams and LA teams and a few others here and there would dominate. You have a bit of this when Steinbrenner was on the loose in baseball. Now, US sports have both salary caps and revenue sharing. Football has a hard cap with an absolute limit on salaries a team can pay. Teams do manipulate that a little by giving longer contracts and NFL contracts are not all guaranteed. On the other hand the NBA contracts are guaranteed for the most part and the salary cap is soft with luxury taxes which get progressively harsh for repeat offenders.

Right now US sports finances are quite in disarray due to the pandemic and shortened seasons and the lack of fans. In some cases the leagues and players have negotiated smoothing of caps.

All major US sports leagues currently do have unions and negotiated contracts. If they did not, they'd have the Messi situation as given an open market, clearly players like Lebron James would be paid far more than they currently are.

IF Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ,,, I would assume "Obscene " is also.

He is getting paid market rate for his skills .
Yes. Major sports figures, even more so than actors, musicians and other performers,
deserve to earn whatever they can negotiate in return for their skills which definitely
have a 'use before _' date.
This is the nature of the free market.

Yeah, 'cos baseball is a thrill a minute.

Then there is driving left around in a circle.

Then there is basketball, the game where only the last two minutes decide anything.

Of course grid iron, which takes three hours to play a 60 minute game, and where the padded up protected players are too dumb to make their own calls on the field. Plus get to rest every few seconds.

Ice hockey - nuff said.

Anything else?

Yes. Rugby Union. Are you familiar with the NZ national team, the All Blacks, or the S. African, the Springboks..? They have a pretty good record. Two or three world cups each. Plenty of action. Great athleticism. You can actually recognise the players. Finalised in a reasonable length of time. Typically 80 minutes. :thumb:

"Obscene " may be the next wave of profits to the folks that are attempting a silver short.

I believe it will fail as the banksters have enough political clout to get the rules changed , yet again , as they did to the Hunt brothers last silver short play.

Seems the banks have floated over 200 times as much paper silver than usually is taken for delivery.

"Obscene "profits for the little guy , I sure hope so.

Yes. Rugby Union. Are you familiar with the NZ national team, the All Blacks, or the S. African, the Springboks..? They have a pretty good record. Two or three world cups each. Plenty of action. Great athleticism. You can actually recognise the players. Finalised in a reasonable length of time. Typically 80 minutes. :thumb:

I was listing the top American sports in response to his "soccer is boring" post.

I played RU, a full back. Also wife and FIL are Kiwis.

Six Nations starts this weekend!

Menzies, I was the guy dissing soccer. Soccer is not the only snoozer, plenty more, but soccer in my mind is right up there with golf and tennis. Have you ever watched Sergio Garcia prepare to hit a golf ball? One could grow a beard waiting for that guy to get around to taking a swipe at the ball. However, I do admit to enjoy watching the Master's except for having to listen to Jim Nance's incessant gushing.
I was listing the top American sports in response to his "soccer is boring" post.

I played RU, a full back. Also wife and FIL are Kiwis.

Six Nations starts this weekend!

Take your lady to a 20/20 on a pleasant day. A nice stout in your hand and the other around her even cricket is entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom