Nutrition planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope everyone saw the small tidbit in the China Study that the wealthier areas of China that had more access to protein were healthier than the rest of the general populous.

Sure you can say they had better health care than the rest...but then...so do I.

My Grandfather and Mother have out lived every vegan I know.

I still say genetics blows diet ooyut of the water every day if you are not stupid.

Health care and nourishment go hand in hand.

Bill Gates recent notes to Warren Buffett showed some refreshing numbers. Childhood deaths per year cut in half since 1990. 45% of childhood deaths are due to malnutrition. That's not just not getting enough calories, but about not getting the right nutrients and being more susceptible to diseases.

I quote Bill Gates, "Nutrition is the biggest missed opportunity in global health."

One that shocked me was that worldwide, extreme poverty has been cut in half since 1990.

Ok, I admit to personal prejudice when it comes to Bill Gates and Warren Buffett. Both heroes of mine, one who I haven't met, but hope to some day. I encourage everyone to read these notes. It shows what his and Melinda's foundation, with a lot of funding from Buffett, is working to accomplish. Bill and Melinda Gates are heroes in my mind and not because of what he did with Microsoft, because of how they're using their time and money today. Also, it's nice to read a bit of optimism in today's world.

https://www.gatesnotes.com/2017-Annual-Letter

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. BB. There is an ever increasing trend toward diet base disease prevention and as Martha Stewart would say "This is a good thing". Adult and particularly childhood obesity is becoming a major problem. It's not lack of food, it's the wrong food and too much of it.
The fast food industry brought in $200 BILLION in the US alone in 2015.

Eat what you want
Eat a wide variety
Eat lots of fruits and veggies
Avoid sugar and highly processed junk
Listen to your cravings

And eat less of the above.

A splurge every now and then is good.

By all means, continue your vegan regime but do not preach that it is THE solution to lifestyle based illnesses. Moderation.

Ahhh yes, moderation. That's what people end up saying when they have no facts in their argument.

So smoking in moderation - good for you?

How about just a little heroine injected once a month?

I didn't expect any different reaction about this subject from the standard group who posts 90% of the content here. I do want to thank you for not finding a way to pull ActiveCaptain into it. By page 2, that usually happens.

If I managed to make one lurker out there think about it, I've done my job. Thank you for giving me the forum to do so. :flowers:

Greetings,
Mr. JS. How little you know about what facts I have available. By all means, encourage any lurkers or any members to think about nutrition it's what makes us tick and hopefully by making the proper educated choices we will all live long and prosper.

IMO Active Captain has no place what-so-ever in this thread so no thanks is necessary.

I am not at liberty to reveal my expertise data base but rest assured nothing I have said is false in spite of YOUR views.

I see no way you can dispute the idea of a balanced diet, yes, in moderation given the overwhelming science that supports such a regime.
The China Study is just that, one study. As others have mentioned there are many things that affect one's health, heredity, environment, lifestyle (including amount of exercise), vices (yup, smoking, excessive drinking, drug use etc.) where diet is just one of the modifiers.

A number of years back, Linus Pauling, winner of 2 Nobel Prizes advocated taking mega doses of vitamins to better one's health. He postulated that vitamin C taken in doses of up to 10,000 mg./ day was a cure for cancer. He had scientific PROOF. He must have known what he was talking about he was a 2X Noble Laureate AND he wore a white lab coat just like the "doctors" on TV. The Dark Side of Linus Pauling's Legacy

"I didn't expect any different reaction about this subject from the standard group who posts 90% of the content here." WHAT, pray tell do you mean by THAT statement please?

Last edited:
"I didn't expect any different reaction about this subject from the standard group who posts 90% of the content here." WHAT, pray tell do you mean by THAT statement please?

My postings are like beautiful songs. A songwriter doesn't need to explain them. They are beautiful because they explain themselves.

:thumb:

Moderators should close this thread as it is sadly taking a slippy course.

Moderators should close this thread as it is sadly taking a slippy course.
Why not just unsubscribe? How come arguments turn into closing a thread? Just use the tools withing the thread to unsubscribe and you're done with it.

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Well, I've said all I can for the moment so we can carefully return to our regularly scheduled programming. Now about that chicken in a can....

Bill and Melinda Gates are heroes in my mind... because of how they're using their time and money today. Also, it's nice to read a bit of optimism in today's world.

https://www.gatesnotes.com/2017-Annual-Letter

B, very well said. Thank you for posting the link of the must-read 2017 letter of The Gates Foundation which Bill wrote right after the Davos World Economic Forum this year.

The Gates Foundation spends more on global health every year than most countries. With a All in All estimate budget of $5 billion this year, larger than the World Health Organization's budget, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is dealing with a issue, whether malaria, pneumonia, HIV, nutrition, TB and Reproductive Health Program, then set a strategy over a sufficiently long period to search for the cause of the problem and then determine and consider the solutions in a coordinated manner.

The Gates Foundation, because of its size and the international reputation of its founder, is in a class of its own which has adopted a practical, get-it-done approach.

Bill and Melinda, the two "Impatient optimists" (as they like to call themselves), are at the top of the great benefactors of global health in the most efficient and pragmatic way.

There's no doubt the Gates Foundation has had a profound impact on global health, especially to improve maternal health and childhood mortality among other emergency actions.

Last edited:
There's no doubt the Gates Foundation has had a profound impact on global health, especially to improve maternal health and childhood mortality among other emergency actions.

It's scary to think how much more widespread ebola would have been without them as they immediately attacked Nigeria. Nigeria was where it was first an issue and then the first country in the area to be ebola free. Their director just came to them and presented the idea and they said "do it". Other agencies had processes to go through, funding to arrange, and time was key. The ability to act quickly was literally a life saver.

The world is a scary place and it's nice occasionally to read the other side, that advancements are being made. Years ago I was astonished how little it took to provide so many with netting to prevent Malaria. Today you see something as simple as vaccines for children. It had never crossed my mind what a change making contraceptives available in poor countries would make. Sometimes we're looking at what seem to be huge challenges and very expensive and overlook the impact less obvious changes can make.

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Well, I've said all I can for the moment so we can carefully return to our regularly scheduled programming. Now about that chicken in a can....

About this, I visualize the process of putting a chicken in a can, aside the disgusting aspect, must be quite an effort to make the beast goes in the cage! :eek:

Why not just unsubscribe? How come arguments turn into closing a thread? Just use the tools withing the thread to unsubscribe and you're done with it.

Well you know when a thread is going far from its intended subject, and ends with posts that only exhacer tension between people, this is the time to either take a good breath of fresh air or close the discussion :)
But I am not a moderator so no problem if you like it I will just :popcorn:

I am not an expert in nutrition, as most here are not. I do have a background in the biological sciences and physiology. All that means is that I can understand the research, but it doesn't mean the research is always definitive. Anecdotes about our grandmother who lived to be 105 by smoking a pack a day while eating fried sausage daily, doesn't tell us anything. Retrospective demographic studies are also extremely limited but folks love to draw conclusions from them.

I never really could figure out why some folks get all worked up about what other people eat. If you like to eat meat, that doesn't bother me at all. If you want to stick to a vegan diet, good for you. In either case unless I am related to someone or they are my health care provider they probably shouldn't worry too much about what I eat or drink.

FWIW I think that in the US, WHAT we eat isn't nearly as much of a problem as how MUCH we eat. If we simply ate less we would be a much healthier nation.

I don't eat all that well when I am home so don't eat a lot better when on the boat. As my wife and I approach retirement I hope that our increased available time will translate into more time for shopping and preparing better meals. Figuring out how to do that on the boat is something that we have not done yet. I have enjoyed reading the threads on the subject as I learn a lot and get good ideas.

FWIW I think that in the US, WHAT we eat isn't nearly as much of a problem as how MUCH we eat. If we simply ate less we would be a much healthier nation.

Indeed. First time I went to US was with a friend almost 15 years ago. We were going to south california for work. First time we went to a restaurant we were not able to believe the size of the plates. We spent our trip eating only appetizers as it was far enough for us. Aside the fact that it was gigantic portion, for us it was also wasting as more than half the plate was trashed. I will forever remember the day when I ordered some guacamole as an appetizer, the lady came to me with a plate containing something like 5 or 6 avocado! How can 1 person eat that much!
No criticism here just that from where we were coming we were just not used to that size.

I never really could figure out why some folks get all worked up about what other people eat.

That's a good turn of the conversation. I think I know what motivates me.

1. Health reasons. As an EMT, I had to perform CPR on too many people having heart attacks. Do that a few times, see the obvious reasons why it happens, and you sort of want to help others. There will be some who have bought into the BS and feel justified in attacking the truth. But there are always a few who quietly read it, take a few moments to realize the facts, and change their life and health forever.

2. Animal cruelty. There's enough of it in the world. There's a thread on this forum right now about how sad it was that some pigs in the Exumas were found dead. And yet those same people have no problem reading the news about the pigs while eating bacon. It's cruel what we do to billions of animals every year (yes, billions). Don't go on about some picture of a hunter with his dead lion catch and then eat a hamburger. It's hypocrisy.

3. The environment. It takes 1,800 gallons of fresh water for a pound of beef to reach your plate. That is not sustainable. The environmental damage done by raising animals for slaughter is criminal. And even worse, industries like beef are subsidized by federal tax money for no good reason other than lobbying efforts.

So it's much more about diet choice. What you eat has an effect on everyone around you. Ignoring that is just sticking your head in the sand.

I think a person living to 105 smoking a pack a day is very pertinent.

It tells us that we are all different and medical science can not without a doubt tell us what will and won't kill us.

Guidelines are great but not absolutes.

I think medical science has done amazing things for a long time, I have also seen it almost kill people trying to keep them alive.

So until I see studies that my favorite docs can say without any reservation the science is better than average for ME.... not the generic public...then I will get excited.

To many fads with ultimately no or disastrous results tarnish so much of the scientific and anecdotal research.

So until I see studies that my favorite docs can say without any reservation the science is better than average for ME.... not the generic public...then I will get excited.

You should watch the 4 minute video I posted previously. Your doctor will be among the last people to realize what's good for your continued health. It's not what the medical profession does - they don't provide healthcare; they provide disease-care. They seriously have no idea about nutrition any better than we all do.

I don't eat all that well when I am home so don't eat a lot better when on the boat. As my wife and I approach retirement I hope that our increased available time will translate into more time for shopping and preparing better meals. Figuring out how to do that on the boat is something that we have not done yet. I have enjoyed reading the threads on the subject as I learn a lot and get good ideas.

The big challenge between home and boat is finding fresh items when cruising and having freezer space. It's being able to avoid too many packaged foods and it's not overindulging in restaurants all the time.

Early bird dinners are popular in South Florida because the regular meals are both too expensive and too large for most older people. Tapas and other small plates have just recently been on the rise.

I haven't lived in other countries so don't know some of the attitudes. However, what I see in the US is that celebration always means food and/or drink and typically overindulging on one or both. People gain a tremendous amount just over the holidays from Thanksgiving until New Years at the same time their bank accounts are shrinking.

We haven't done well as a society at enjoying without the gratification of excessive food and drink. The huge meals have to be accompanied by huge desserts. At home, we don't have desserts most nights. A little trick I learned years ago from following diets like Adkins and like Heller diet, especially the Heller reward meal. The rule for that meal is eat balanced, eat all you want, but you're limited from start to finish including beverages to one hour. Amazingly, the insulin release that moves you to wanting more normally doesn't kick in until an hour and a quarter and an hour and a half. Nothing wrong with sitting at the table and talking to family and friends but we get our second wind for eating. How many times have you said you were stuffed and then sat and suddenly dessert sounded good?

I think we also consume more of certain items, such as soft drinks and we fooled ourselves into thinking all was well if we drink diet drinks. One of the keys to our management is water, lots of it, and most days nothing else. Now I'm not suggesting others go that route, but the difference between water and soda is huge and we were the worst about sodas. I know I consumed at least 4 a day at one time.

We all have some things we know we eat that aren't healthy for us in the quantities we do. Some things are easy to give up too. Soft drinks and french fries and white bread were for us.

There are a lot of gimmicks that really can be tools. Smaller plates is one, just the physical size.

I also know that my eating much change as I age and especially if I become less active. When I was 20 I would typically eat the equivalent of five full meals a day and I weighed 130 lbs. Now, I still consume way above average. Yes, I'm tall. Yes, I'm active. Still, I know I must condition myself at some point to eat less. I go to a nice restaurant and get the large 16 oz Prime Rib and I've never had any left for a take home bag. Now, at home I'm not served that much. On the boat I'm served or cook smaller portions. Not down to 8 ounces where I should be but 10-12 is better than 16.

Restaurants. At home we don't eat at restaurants often at all. The average American eats out 4.2 times a week. We know why. Working couple, tired, takes the easy way. However, if restaurants reduced portions people would complain. It's easier to serve too much and keep prices up too. A 12 ounce steak is far more profitable than 8 ounces. Take a meal with a 12 ounce and the entire meal is $19.99, a food cost for the restaurant of $5. Reduce the steak to 8 ounces, you only reduce the food cost by $0.25. To make the same margin you'd have to sell it for $18.99 but no one is going to pay $18.99 for 8 ounces when 12 ounces is $19.99. What's the solution. We should plan to get two meals our of our restaurant meal. I know boaters who do this. They may not be equal meals, perhaps the second is smaller but we supplement with fruit or something at home or on the boat.

I appreciate this thread because it has made me think. Will I change? Not tomorrow, but perhaps when we get home, when we head out on the next trip. I'm seriously considering making, not huge bold steps, but very small ones initially.

Another thought. Exercise works better with a partner. Watching one's diet does too if two people can do so without offending each other. At home, we have someone preparing our meals who keeps us in line. We respect her and let her boss us in that respect. It's really on the boat with all the incredible restaurants we visit where we're at risk. We still don't eat in restaurants as much as some. One reason is wanting a lighter meal tonight because we just feel like we ate too much last night and don't want that much tonight.

We also monitor ourselves. We get labs done periodically, more than our doctor says we must, but we do want to keep our eyes on indicators. We also weigh daily. If we gain 3 pounds we diet the next couple of days to lose it. We do not trust ourselves to lose 10 pounds. 3 is easy, we fight to never make it hard.

This all started from cruising but any traveling carries risks. I have a cousin my age who was a college athlete. He is now 4 inches shorter and 60 pounds heavier. He's in sales. He's always on the road. He entertains clients on the road. He eats in restaurants at least 5 days a week, but then his wife wants to go out when he gets home so it becomes 7. Lou Tribal pointed out the shock of US restaurants. They aren't going to change so we must in spite of them.

Now, it's 1:00 AM and my incredible wonderful wife just brought ice cream to bed for the two of us. That is not the way to progress, so tomorrow we'll think more about it.

There is no such thing as an unbiased source on this subject and the site you suggest has the bias of Dr. Michael Greger.
When the bias of a source happens to agree with our own personal bias, then we tend to call it unbiased.

You should watch the 4 minute video I posted previously. Your doctor will be among the last people to realize what's good for your continued health. It's not what the medical profession does - they don't provide healthcare; they provide disease-care. They seriously have no idea about nutrition any better than we all do.

Jeff, I've been following this thread with some interest, because I am a medic, and one with a strong interest in nutrition, and weight control, etc, so I do have to pull you up on the above statement. Why? Because I think you would have to agree, it is a sweeping generalisation, and like most sweeping generalisations, the impression given is always somewhat wide of the mark, and in this case stands to undermine good medical advice folk might well be given.

As it was going, things were getting a bit testy, but as this thread is now in Off Topic however, we can continue this discussion for those interested.

So, I do have to agree with you regarding the apparent hypocrisy with the smoking thing, but where there are such huge financial vested interests involved, acting on the science is always hindered by those same vested interests, especially the effects on politicians, who are in the best position to actually do something about it, but always appear more concerned with staying elected that doing good things for the citizens, sadly. Proof of that is that making and selling cigarettes is still legal, yet knowing what we know now, they should have been banned years ago. Actually, the same might be said for alcohol as well. However, the politicians assuage their collective consciences by saying that the individual must take some responsibility, or they would be accused of running a 'nanny' state'. This allows them to sleep at night.

In defence of my medical colleagues I would also point out that as well as being up against these powerful financial vested interests, we also have the issue of the 'shifting goalposts', whereby the science is telling us one thing today, and something different a few years down the track. This salt issue being one, and I agree with you it's role in BP is, or was, somewhat over-played, as was the bogey of saturated fats, when now the bogey is trans fats. Even for doctors it is hard to keep up.

When faced with the confusion of extreme ideas, one tends to suspect the truth probably lies somewhere in between, and I suspect this is also the case re diet. If we take the teleological (evolutionary origin) argument, we can get some idea of where we came from, and what we survived on, and while I don't support the paleo (caveman) diet for today, we can learn something from it, and that is we evolved eating meat and fruit, roots, fish and other seafood. We were never strictly vegetarian or vegan. What we did not have much of was refined carbohydrate, which arrived with the growing and grinding of wheat, then along came sugar, the abundance of both in today's diet being largely the cause of the obesity and diabetes.

The other issue we are up against when it comes to weight control, is the fact our metabolism is still largely aimed at protecting us from food shortage, not excess. Which is why our body fights weight loss and makes it so hard. I have found the 5:2 fasting plan one that helps get around that issue quite well. Most other diets don't.

However, one of the standout things about this issue now is we are all living way beyond nature's best by date, (ie about 50), so evolutionary survival adaptations that are beneficial cannot be passed on, (once no longer reproducing), so we are in an evolutionary never-never land where all bets are off as to what is best from there on.

However, this is interestin. Prompted by a brush with a health issue myself, and having been lent the book "How not to die" (of virtually anything), by a neighbour who had had a recent brush with the bid C, I read the book, and was surprised myself at some of the content. This is a book written by the author BandB referred to above, one Dr Michael Greger, who is SDA, and is a born again vegan, and his answer, essentially, to virtually any health issue is to revert to a purely plant-based diet.

The interesting thing is that mostly I found myself finding it hard to disagree with a lot of what he says. However, even he admits it is not always feasible or practical to go vegan, and probably not necessary to be so, but getting as close as one can is certainly worthwhile. From what I now know, I must say, I have no problem with that, even though he crosses off his shopping list a lot of the things I like the most.

But as Lou_tribal said, or words to this effect - "living is fatal", so while following the best possible organic & virtually vegan diet might buy one a few more years, what if you got run over by a bus..? Or one might draw a comparison with say with the pure and stress-free life of a Buddhist monk...but where's the fun in that..?

Footnote;
1. Most Drs now don't smoke.

2. Most Drs are advising re healthier diets and trying to help their patients lose weight, even though many are a bit over the odds themselves I must admit.

3. There is no real doubt that a largely vegetarian diet, augmented by other food sources in strict moderation and unrefined as possible, is probably the healthiest compromise we can manage.

4. The doing of it, as opposed to just talking about it is the trick. Most folk never actually start the healthy diet they say they will because they are always going to start 'tomorrow' - and tomorrow never comes, because we live in today..!

Jeff, I've been following this thread with some interest

Pete - thank you for a well reasoned discussion. Imagine if every posting were as well thought out and debated.

I've been very interested in nutrition for the last 10 years. I've probably read a thousand studies (the actual studies, not what Time magazine reports) and a few books. I'm on websites like nutritionfacts every day - Greger makes a video or posting every day. I also have many friends in the medical profession including one who's the head of a cardiac department of a very large hospital. My previous businesses were all producing medical products - we had 9 FDA approved products that I designed over the years giving me a front row seat into the mechanisms by which governments give those types of approvals and recommendations. (Alternate subject - your government does not protect you like you think it does)

Given that, I stand behind the statement that the medical profession has little understanding about nutrition. When multiple MD friends look at me like I'm crazy for going Vegan, all asking the identical question, "Where do you get your protein?" it is obvious that they don't have the slightest understanding about nutrition. I've had the luxury of showing some the real science and when faced with it, a couple have gone vegetarian with definite reductions in dairy (cheese is hard to give up).

As an aside, for other readers, nearly every food product has protein. Step back and ask, where do the cows you eat get their protein (they're Vegan). How about hippos, gorillas, horses, and actually most of the animal world? They're all Vegan.

The trick question of all time - which has the most protein:

A) 100 calories of iceberg lettuce
B) 100 calories of tomatoes
C) 100 calories of sirloin steak

I'll give one hint - the steak has the least. This isn't made up - it can be easily verified by any of the nutrition databases online. If you don't believe it prior to looking it up, it shows what advertising from the meat industry has done to you.

So no, just like smoking, our doctors don't know about nutrition. In the US, medical school includes 4 hours of nutrition class. Not 4 semester hours; 4 clock hours - one afternoon.

Match that against the advertising we're subjected to and the many paid and faked "scientific" studies, and the goal is to confuse everyone. Science is pretty good though - it's fairly consistent. But throw in a paid study showing how butter is great, and yeah, everyone is confused. That small, meaningless, and poor science study in particular was paid for by the dairy industry. Then they present it to magazines who, let's face it, are eager for advertising dollars themselves, and the result is more "Got Milk?" advertisements and a front cover of Time showing a pad of melting butter. These companies take advantage of press laziness and the desire to receive industry money. The result is that we're all confused.

That's where Greger is different. He's not paid by any industry. He's an experienced MD in these studies and can get at the underlying science and statistics to determine if they are real. Then he puts it into context and bases his findings on multiple, well produced, and verified studies. The outcomes are remarkably consistent, unlike the media's view.

> So, I do have to agree with you regarding the apparent hypocrisy
> with the smoking thing...

And surely you see the exact same play book at work with meat and dairy? It is the exact same thing. One difference. Meat and dairy are many times larger and richer than tobacco.

> When faced with the confusion of extreme ideas, one tends to
> suspect the truth probably lies somewhere in between

That is exactly the goal of the fake studies - to move you to the center. The same thing happened with tobacco. So the next move is "moderation" - let's not eat huge amounts of food, just cut down and use less salt. It's a simple argument that makes sense. And yet, no one suggests today that smoking in moderation is good for you. It's not. Meat and dairy - ditto.

> ...and that is we evolved eating meat and fruit, roots, fish and
> other seafood. We were never strictly vegetarian or vegan.

That's another misconception that our own anatomy proves. There actually is no evidence to support the idea that cavemen ate meat. They probably didn't. Here are a couple of examples:

- If you have a dog or cat, they are carnivores; there's no question. Look at their jaw - it only moves up and down. Human jaws move up and down to open but also move side to side, just like a horse, cow, etc. Teeth too. We have teeth called canines. Compare them to your dog's canine teeth. They are significantly different. Our mouths and teeth were made for eating vegetables and especially fruits. Early man probably ate mostly fruit.

- Staying with the dog - if you have one, you know that they eat and poop pretty quickly as opposed to humans who need 24+ hours. That's because our intestines are 5 times the length of dog intestines (cat too, and all other carnivores). That incredible extra length gives too much time for things like fat and cholesterol to be absorbed into the blood stream. This is why dogs don't have atherosclerosis as opposed to humans who, as they get richer and eat more meat, experience it as their #1 killer.

- Real carnivores have stomach acid that is significantly more acidic than human - this allows them to eat bones and helps the mechanism in them to pass waste quickly because it is broken down earlier in their system.

- Milk, especially cow's milk, is designed for one specific thing: turn a newborn calf into a 400 lb cow. The combination of a huge amount of protein combined with hormones designed by evolution to quickly fatten a calf do their job perfectly on humans. We have no business eating the milk of another animal, especially when we then complain that our jeans are too tight. Step back and look at milk under that light - it's sort of obvious that we shouldn't eat it. Added to the hormones, of course, are a fairly large amount of allowed pus because, it's coming directly from the glands of a female cow and you can't remove it. And yet, nearly everyone is taught to believe that milk builds bones and is essential for healthy living. Nothing could be further from the truth. I believe it is actually worse than meat. It's cheese though - it seems so hard to give up.

> What we did not have much of was refined carbohydrate...largely
> the cause of the obesity and diabetes.

Another media myth. It just isn't true. Atkins has a part in this too - watch your carbs! No breads. No pasta. And things like potatoes? Never.

I wonder how many know that Atkins died at 69 with heart disease and was by BMI definition, obese (258 lbs at 6'0" tall). Why is he the god of wisdom to follow?

It's all wrong. Even you have the nutrition all mixed up about it. It isn't your fault - you're repeating the current mantra given by the media - sugar is killing us - sodas - breads - etc.

The cause of type 2 diabetes is fat. As a medic, you surely understand the insulin response and how it all works. As fat builds, insulin cannot make the connection through the fat molecules to bind glucose into the cells. That is what type 2 diabetes is. Keep building fat and the fat will eventually effect the pancreas. That then effects insulin production and changes to type 1 which, as you know, is the dangerous one. Type 2 is no joy ride because the lack of glucose connection at important places starts to make them fail too.

So sure, sugar doesn't help because the added caloric load gives no mechanism for fat breakdown since the body is seeing so many calories already. In fact, add some extra free insulin to that system and the fat binds internally causing you to look fat (insulin has a secondary role - it stores fat in your system). Extra insulin is available when it cannot be used because of the fat causing more fat to be packed on - it's a bad spiral. And you're right, our bodies are designed to pack fat for lean times so we're very efficient at it.

The solution is easy - cut the fat. Then the sugar gets processed normally because you have a healthy insulin system. Although ad hoc examples aren't valid, in my own case and the case of all Vegans I know, we all eat mostly carbs - we have a friggin bread machine on our boat and goes daily. We eat a ridiculous amount of pasta, potatoes, and even refined sugar. I don't measure sugar sprinkled on oatmeal. We spoon it on. And the result? I lost about 40 lbs getting down to the weight I was in high school when I was playing sports. No cutting back. No "watching carbs". Just eating all I wanted.

A lot of people extol the virtues of exercise too. And trust me, I'm into it although for the last year I've been doing boat maintenance instead of working out. Exercise contributes very little to weight control - although it does motivate people to eat better which is great. Exercise does other important things too especially once your weight is under control. And those things are important for living life to its fullest.

Magically, even with high carb intake, my cholesterol reduced to 150 (which is the baseline that our own bodies produce - no human needs to consume cholesterol - we make it). My wife and I, both nearly 60, are on no medications. When we see doctors for physicals, they don't believe us. We do take $5 / year worth of vitamin B12 which is lacking from a Vegan diet. B12 is a bacteria found in the feces of animals - humans used to get it from fruits and vegetables but today, everything is washed too well with antibiotics. Meat still has it because the slaughtering process washes the meat in enough, umm, B12, to give you the micrograms that you need.

> I have found the 5:2 fasting plan one that helps get around that
> issue quite well.

I think fasting is way too hard. Why do it? A lot of people think it does a "cleanse" but really, most people do it for weight loss. It's a painful way and there's only proof that it's bad because you can't control the breakdown of material being done to create the glucose needed to maintain metabolic systems - your body takes the glucose from somewhere. The fact is, you don't need to do it - just cut the fat and protein and you'll never diet again and have no need for a scale. Go back to that question at the top about 100 calories of iceberg lettuce and think about what that really means.

For what it's worth, we never eat salads - there are too many better things to eat and lettuce (most types) is hard to keep on a cruising boat. The idea that you have to eat large amount of salad or tofu if you go vegetarian is completely false. Except in restaurants, I don't think I've had a salad on the boat in 6 months. We both hate tofu and never eat it as well.

> However, even he admits it is not always feasible or practical to go
> vegan, and probably not necessary to be so, but getting as close as
> one can is certainly worthwhile.

Yeah, I totally agree with that. It's impossible to be Vegan in social situations or at most restaurants. On the boat, we are pretty clean because we know what we're bringing on the boat. But we have pizza out and know that many vegetables in restaurants are cooked with butter. Interestingly, my own body lets me know that I had dairy the next day once you've been mostly Vegan for about 6 months. I think that "cheating" once a week or so, is fine. I'd rather enjoy pot lucks or cocktails on other boats than keep 100% strict.

Considering that though, we never eat meat - that's easy to avoid. I have to say that occasionally, it wouldn't be a bad thing. We just don't want it. Things like conch are pretty much on-the-line too - they're not sentient - and it would be a shame to miss that in the islands so we have that occasionally too.

> so while following the best possible organic & virtually vegan diet
> might buy one a few more years, what if you got run over by a bus..?

I don't think it's about getting a few more years. It's about having every year as healthy as possible. As a medic, again, you surely pulled too many unhealthy people out of homes because they were fat and sick, and too young to be in such a difficult health situation. You know it wasn't heredity. It was diet.

Maybe I'll live a few more years, who knows. It's not why I do it.

OK, so this has all solely been about the health reasons of being vegetarian or Vegan. I honestly think that they are good enough to go into it in a pretty big way. Or at least start things like "Meatless Mondays". And to be honest, the health reason is the reason my wife and I got into it. It was purely selfish, looking out for our own bodies. It was easier than we imagined it would be, and the food is incredible.

Now add the two other reasons to this argument - animal cruelty and the environment. Prior to the publication of The China Study, most vegetarians and Vegans did it for animal cruelty reasons. Each of those subjects would take another posting as long to talk about. The question has to be, taking these three major reasons (health, animal cruelty, and the environment), are the reasons not overwhelming to cut back or stop eating meat and dairy?

Last edited:
Yes, well, Jeff, like the good Dr Greger, you are clearly a born again vegan, and therefore like other 'born again' folk, rather hard to argue with, so I won't. In fact I agree with quite bit of what you said anyway. I am well aware of the importance of insulin resistance, and also very aware that if one keeps insulin levels low, then fat burning can proceed much easier, and conversely, as soon as you cause an insulin spike, fat burning is shut down, and fat storage recommences. That is why low carb diets always cause faster loss than low fat diets. That is also why the 5:2 eating plan works as well.. It is easy to do because it is just a mini-fast. For just 2 days out of the 7 one eats 1/4 of normal, ie about 5-600 cals. Simple. But what it does do is trick the body into thinking there is a bit of a famine going on, (why we store it, right..?), so switches on fat-burning more unequivocally.

On that, Dr Atkins was actually ahead of his time, and somewhat unfairly maligned and castigated by the anti-cholesteral brigade who rather simplistically drew the connection that as cholesterol buildup is found in atheromatous plaques in the artery lining, it therefore followed that any intake of cholesterol was bad and simply went straight for the artery walls. We now know that is wrong, as you said yourself, we synthesise most of out circulating cholesterol ourselves. We need some cholesterol anyway, because it is the building block of our cell walls. However, like the low fat is good movement, he was probably a bit too extreme in the anti-carb stance, especially some of the veg he recommended not to have. That's why I feel the answer lies somewhere less extreme in either direction. But I have no trouble believing that a strict vegan diet does cause weight loss and allows good weight control, just because of the relative lower energy consumed.

However, in the interests of fair play and accuracy, you are actually factually wrong re his demise, and his weight when this occurred. Dr Atkins actually died of a brain haemorrhage after a head injury when he slipped over on ice. Just sayin'.

So, for the record...abstract from Wikipaedia...link below...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Atkins_(nutritionist)

but to cut a longish story short...

Dr. Fratellone treated Dr. Atkins from 1999 until 2002, and also worked with the doctor at the Atkins Center. He says Atkins suffered from cardiomyopathy, a chronic heart weakness. But this condition, he says, was caused by a virus—not his diet: “I was his attending cardiologist at that time. And I made the statement… When we did his angiogram, I mean, the doctor who performed it, said it's pristine for someone that eats his kind of diet… Pristine, meaning these are very clean arteries. I didn't want people to think that his diet caused his heart muscle – it was definitely a documented viral infection.”[16]....
....Dr. Atkins died On April 17, 2003, at the age of 72.[7] Atkins official death certificate states the cause of death as "Blunt impact injury of head with epidural hematoma".[19] Nine days prior to his death, Atkins fell and hit his head on an icy New York pavement. At New York's Weill Cornell Medical Center, where he was admitted on April 8, he underwent surgery to remove a blood clot from his brain but went into a coma and died from complications. He spent nine days in intensive care before dying on April 17, 2003.[20][21]
....It also noted that he weighed 258 pounds (117 kilograms) at death, but Dr. Atkins weighed 195 pounds (88 kilograms) the day after he entered the hospital following his fall; he gained 63 pounds (29 kilograms) from fluid retention during the nine days he was in a coma before he died.[20][22]

And one other misunderstanding you have, again as you appreciate accuracy...
B12 is not a bacterium...but is synthesised by certain microorganisms, especially those found within ruminants, which is why meat is the most rich source. Of course vegans need to supplement in other ways.

Again, from Wikipaedia,...link...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12

Vitamin B12, also called cobalamin, is a water-soluble vitamin that has a key role in the normal functioning of the brain and nervous system, and the formation of red blood cells. It is one of eight B vitamins. It is involved in the metabolism of every cell of the human body, especially affecting DNA synthesis, fatty acid and amino acid metabolism.[1] No fungi, plants, nor animals (including humans) are capable of producing vitamin B12. Only bacteria and archaea have the enzymes needed for its synthesis. Proved sources of B12 are animal products (meat, fish, dairy products) and supplements. Some research states that certain non-animal products possibly can be a natural source of B12 because of bacterial symbiosis. B12 is the largest and most structurally complicated vitamin and can be produced industrially only through a bacterial fermentation-synthesis. This synthetic B12 is used to fortify foods and sold as a dietary supplement.

Good discussion though, and even if it just stimulates folk to question their diet, it has achieved some small thing. :)

Last edited:
Following up on Peter B:

Adkins first wrote in the early 70's. He was a cardiologist and concerned about patients. That's when he developed his diet. He did make a couple of changes over time and that was with the introduction of vitamins. He said that while they wouldn't necessarily be required for healthy people on normal diets, the would help balance his diet, especially in the early stages. One other thing that so often gets overlooked. He encouraged people to find a doctor who would do complete blood panels before you started the diet and then monitor. Those who did that were pleased. When they followed that recommendation, the issue of cholesterol often disappeared. For instance, I know a lady who after two months on Adkins had cholesterol of 200. Problem was that prior to starting the diet it was close to 250. Meanwhile her triglycerides had been cut to 40% of the initial level. One of Adkins emphases was type 2 diabetes where most patients he treated were able to maintain without insulin.

Now, it doesn't work for everyone but some very renowned doctors such as the Hellers who were at Mt. Sinai did research and found much the same as he suggested.

Sometimes, too, extreme diets are very appropriate. Medifast has saved many lives. Yes, it should be monitored, especially liver enzymes. One thing that hit television years ago was how Medifast and Nutrisystems patients were having to have their gall bladders removed. Of course, later evidence proved it had nothing to do with the specific diets but with losing large amounts of weight and far better to lose a gall bladder than carry around the extra weight.

I've known several people waiting for lung transplants but over the weights to be listed. The doctors at Brigham and Women's told a patient I knew to try Medifast, that he didn't have time to wait for a normal diet to work and with his lung issues, he wasn't able to exercise strenuously. The doctors at another hospital I know of told a patient waiting absolutely not to do Medifast, to lose weight by controlling what she ate. She died in the hospital in which he did transplants months later 11 pounds over the weight he had set. She met all other transplant requirements except that.

Lifestyle and long term changes, gradual losses are the most healthy for most people. However, for persons morbidly obese, the length of a program is so long, the odds of sticking to it are slim. Now, if they're able to lose more rapidly, there's a constant mental reward and they stay encouraged. That doesn't eliminate all the problems though as once they lose they have to still find the habits and style that will keep the weight off.

For everyone without a weight problem who wants to say it's a character flaw and laziness or in any other way be insulting, you probably also say that about mental illness and ignore the science of our bodies and the chemicals within it. There is no morbidly obese person who wants to be that way. Most have had a lifetime of dieting. Most have been to doctors who said it was nothing but calories and yet couldn't explain why Adkins worked, a clear contradiction to that theory. Other doctors thinking low fat was the answer. A lot of ignorance and shortcomings in helping overweight people. Have one close to you or get to know one and understand the real fight they go through all their lives and you'll never again make fun of a fat person.

Weight is so easy for some of us. Most of my life, I've consumed enough calories for two people and never had a weight problem. I feel lucky and it makes me determined to maintain weight since there is really no excuse for me to not do so. I feel so for friends I've had who have fought so hard, eaten so little, exercised like told, and couldn't lose and when they did, couldn't keep it off. I've seen them have serious health problems. I've seen other resort to surgery. It wasn't laziness though that led them to it, it was a lifetime of struggling and warnings from doctors and desperation.

Following up on Peter B:
Weight is so easy for some of us. Most of my life, I've consumed enough calories for two people and never had a weight problem. I feel lucky and it makes me determined to maintain weight since there is really no excuse for me to not do so. I feel so for friends I've had who have fought so hard, eaten so little, exercised like told, and couldn't lose and when they did, couldn't keep it off. I've seen them have serious health problems. I've seen other resort to surgery. It wasn't laziness though that led them to it, it was a lifetime of struggling and warnings from doctors and desperation.

So true, which is why even though it is a major step to take, it can literally be life-saving, and for those poor folk, who are so overweight they will never get it off any other way, and ultimately it will kill them, I do refer those folk to be considered for bariatric surgery. In those properly selected patients, the results are excellent, even if they need redundant skin tucks later. Most of them lose their diabetes completely in the process, and most also can come off their inevitable BP meds, and the statin they are on for their lipids. (Various cholesterol fractions).

Oh, B&B, one small thing...his name was Robert Atkins, not Adkins...sorry to be a bit pedantic, but it's nice to get the gentleman's name right, eh..? ;)

Greetings,
Mr. PB. "...a born again vegan, and therefore like other 'born again' folk, rather hard to argue with, so I won't." You have voiced my thoughts exactly in a diplomatic/genteel manner and reached the same conclusions I have. I reiterate, moderation... Thank you.

> That is why low carb diets always cause faster loss than low fat diets.

You can lose a couple of pounds with low carb quickly. Check the research, it never stays off. Even Atkins followers - it's too hard to give up carbs; no one can stay on the diet for the long term. In fact, there's a lot of research showing that it only causes a super-absorbtion of carbs once they are re-introduced. This is also one of the failings of fasting too. There you're matching pain and discomfort with ineffectiveness. Sticking at under 1,000 calories a day is less than the caloric intake of Jews at Auschwitz (1,300 per day). The famine response you think you're getting is, again, just a super-absorption once you get food again - you're teaching your body the wrong thing! Pain plus ineffectiveness (or worse) - makes no sense. Think about it. Do some research on fasting. It sure sounds like this "5:2" diet is a fad coming out of a book. Surely you've seen the poor results of these book-based diets? A quick Wikipedia search (seems to be your favorite) says there is a lack of evidence about intermittent fasting and this diet specifically. It appears to have been born from a TV documentary? That's what Wikipedia says in the first paragraph. Doesn't that say "unsubstantiated fad" all over it?

By the way, the "born again" cubby hole you're trying to put me into is just name calling. Stop it. Present your facts. The moment you start name calling just means you've lost the argument. Your facts should stand on their own. I'm not hard to argue with because you say I'm "born again." I'm hard to argue with because the facts are on my side and I'm presenting them as clearly as I can.

I did say that B12 was a bacteria - it was an oversimplification. It is symbiotic with a bacteria and only available in its presence because a bacteria creates it. The result is the same - that was nit picking for no value. The bottom line is that it comes into meat through exposure to defecation and the large amounts of bacteria present. Spin that in a better way but it's still the same thing.

I'm not sure I understand your cholesterol statements either. Our bodies create all the cholesterol we need from amino acids and other available molecules. They stop producing it when it reaches the 150 baseline value. It's quite rare, but it does happen, that some people over-produce cholesterol. The vast majority of cholesterol buildup is from eating saturated fats (that only come from animal eating) and cholesterol eating itself (also meat and dairy based). The relationship between cholesterol and heart disease appears to be quite complex - and appears to happen when artery trauma catches cholesterol that is floating by. The extra cholesterol past the 150 level puts the level too high in the blood stream and makes the molecules too easily available for building. Of course, artery trauma starts it so having less of that means that cholesterol won't matter. It now seems like other oils in the diet create the artery damage although that isn't proved yet. Age damages arteries too and there isn't a cure for that yet either.

Still, are you suggesting that lowering cholesterol intake or reducing your baseline cholesterol levels aren't a goal of medicine today? Why are all those people out there on Lipitor? I mean, let's be honest - 25% of the members of this forum are taking it every day - probably more since people here likely have higher incomes with better medical care.

Then, Dr Atkins...

Go back and read my statement carefully - he died WITH heart disease, not because of it although there are many who feel a heart attack caused the ice slip. Surely you've seen trauma induced post MI or post hip fracture when you've come onto a scene.

Realize that at the time of his death, his book had sold 10 million copies and between the book and the other assorted crap he sold, the business was extremely valuable. The records don't make sense - there are many competing discussions about all of this - you cherry picked one from Wikipedia. In this case, I can make a simple argument about it all based on the facts that are not in dispute. And especially, since you are a medic, it will make perfect sense to you.

I'm assuming you know what cardiomyopathy is. In case you're not aware of the causes, the Mayo clinic gives a pretty quick outline:
Cardiomyopathy Causes - Mayo Clinic

I don't see a virus cause there. In fact, as you probably know, it's mostly caused by other heart disease, especially diet-related although it certainly runs in families too.

Your own copied statement from the cardiologist providing hear-say "evidence" from the angiogram provider isn't proof at all. It's BS. The operator has never been identified. It was a quite obviously a cover up because there were millions of dollars at play. There's a reason that hear-say isn't allowed in US courts (although Australia appears to allow it in some cases under the Uniform Evidence Act).

But even ignoring those personal statements given by others interested in promoting the Atkins myth, let's take some of the real facts about the Atkins case.

He weighed 258 lbs at his death - undisputed even by the family, because it was on health records that were mistakenly released, another twist to this story. And that number forms a BMI making him obese as I stated previously. There's no dispute about that.

I know well what you quoted so let's continue with the other "facts" and throw them against your medic knowledge...

On April 9th, some unidentified source gave his weight at 195 lbs, a small margin below the obese BMI line. He died 7 days later. That 195 number is valuable for being outside the obese rating, but how probable is it given no record of it, including the mistakenly released medical records?

So post surgery, a patient IN THE HOSPITAL, in the ICU, was allowed to gain 63 lbs of fluid? That's 9 lbs per day. Do you really think any ICU would allow that type of day-after-day fluid retention to take place? Of course not - one day of that would be too dangerous. Think about it - 63 lbs of fluid within the ICU. It didn't happen. If it did happen, then why hasn't the family released the rest of the medical record showing his weight surely taken at check-in?

The 195 lb value was a lie made by the family to keep the Atkins diet lies alive. There was too much money at stake.

One mistake I fully admit to making, I said he was 69. I remembered that incorrectly - he was 72. My entire Atkins paragraph in the previous posting was done from memory - I'm sorry I used the number 69.

And by the way, these aren't Jeff Siegel theories - they are widespread. The NY Times eventually wrote an article about it allowing other physicians to give their opinions including the well respected cardiologist Dr Neal Barnard. Read this short article and tell me the data wasn't faked by the family:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/11/n...ctor-and-what-keeps-the-issue-alive.html?_r=0

I enjoy diet discussions. There are too many lies out there. I don't think there is much honest dispute about vegetarian lifestyles being a healthy way to live. But above that; beyond that...isn't there enough cruelty in the world? Can't we all just start by not torturing and killing animals for our diets, especially when eating animals just ends up causing additional health risks?

And if you care about the environment, and most boaters seem to more than others, shouldn't our diet exist with environmental sustainability in mind? I can actually understand if someone denies the climate change argument and therefore doesn't care about the environmental effects of diet. But if you honestly believe in the idea that man is causing the changes we're seeing, then aren't the other 2 major reasons (health, animal cruelty) added with this environmental one over the top reasons?

Seriously Pete, try Vegan for 3 months. Give up cheese after the first month (we did it in 2 weeks because we stopped wanting it). Stop the 5:2 and eat all you want. You'll be happier, healthier, and a few animal lives will be saved in the process.

Last edited:
Oh, B&B, one small thing...his name was Robert Atkins, not Adkins...sorry to be a bit pedantic, but it's nice to get the gentleman's name right, eh..? ;)

I can only blame it on the time of night. Sounds better than stupidity. Have no idea why I did that.

Back
Top Bottom