New threat to BC wild salmon revealed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveK

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4588
While some worry about transiting vessels. Fish farms are killing the BC wild salmon and the administration knows/knew about it.

Recent government documents reveal Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) staff were shown new research indicating a bacterium (T. maritimum) that causes mouth rot in Atlantic salmon is hitting B.C. factory farms hard. The science shows this bacterium is decreasing the survival of wild salmon that pass by the farms.

The mouth-rot bacterium is naturally present in the marine environment; but, its infection pressure peaks near salmon farms at more than 12 times background levels. This shocking info hasn’t even hit the news yet. Here’s an excerpt cut right from the federal documents:

As if out-of-control salmon lice from factory farms weren’t enough! This is a bad situation.
https://watershedwatch.ca/

I have believed for years, that these types of fish farms should be stopped. There must be other methods that could be used to continue raising farmed fish and to protect wild stocks at the same time. EG. tanks on land??

It is Atlantic farmed salmon. Farm it on the atlantic.
Btw when last in Florida saw prawn farms on land. Anything else is possible though there must be an extra cost involved.

The fish farms have been permitted to exploit our natural resources, which is cheaper to the farmers, rather than pursuing the more expensive land based fish farms. Comes down to money and lobbying.

I thought B.C. was outlawing fish farms at least in the in the Desolation Sound/Broughtons? This sucks. When we came through in 2019 there seemed to be fish farms going up every where in B.C.

Washington is now allowing fish farms but can only raise native fish like Coho etc.

Trudy is too busy planning a sneak election. The discovery group was to be shut down, however last report was the fish farms will conduct meetings with indigenous leaders to get an extension while restocking this year even though they are to dismantle in 2022.

Follow the $$$$$

Alaskan Sea-Duction said:
I thought B.C. was outlawing fish farms at least in the in the Desolation Sound/Broughtons? When we came through in 2019 there seemed to be fish farms going up every where in B.C.

Your “thought” is incorrect and I’m not going to spend a lot of time on it, because as you often say: ”look it up.” There are dozens of Google hits on BC fish farm closures and I just grabbed the two most convenient.

There was a DFO order in December 2020, that a small number of facilities in the Discovery Islands, would not be permitted to restock after June 2022. They were not outlawed and the principals immediately initiated plans to relocate.

Opposition mounted quickly and on April 05, 2021, a Federal Judge suspended the DFO Order.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...sh-farms-in-b-c-s-discovery-islands-1.5977450

Further, there has been no significant increase in BC fish farms and the topic of this thread is really nothing new.

Last edited:
Ok fair enough. So I have a genuine question.

The Alaska Native Tribes are set against fish farms. They would rather manage the wild stock. Things like Pebble mine also comes to mind and the destruction of the Bristol Bay stock. Because of their input fish farms are illegal in Alaska.

So why the big difference between Alaskan Natives and the First Nations of B.C.?

Is it a money maker for them? Different management processes?

I find in some spots where B.C. does a better job of managing salmon than Alaska does.

So why the big difference between Alaskan Natives and the First Nations of B.C.?
Is it a money maker for them? Different management processes?
If you are asking me, I’m not even remotely equipped to answer any of those questions.

I do have a question for you, though:
I find in some spots where B.C. does a better job of managing salmon than Alaska does.
Where?

If you are asking me, I’m not even remotely equipped to answer any of those questions.

I do have a question for you, though:

Where?
We saw a lot of fish in Inside Covert Island. Lots of fish in Kutze Inlet. It also might be the fishing pressure is not much in northern B.C. when compared to the south end of B.C.

I caught a nice king in Kutze and it had a marker chip. I turned it in and I got a call from a fish biologist wanting to confirm where I caught it. It appeared it came from a hatchery in Desolation Sound. Heading up river in Kutze.

It will be nice when everything opens up and we can explore northern B.C.

I caught a nice king in Kutze and it had a marker chip. I turned it in and I got a call from a fish biologist wanting to confirm where I caught it. It appeared it came from a hatchery in Desolation Sound. Heading up river in Kutze.

C'mon Tom, Was that King really caught by Kay? :rofl:
Just pulling your leg and saying good morning to you!

Hey Canucks, if you care about wild salmon send your voice to Ottawa.
Another bombshell was published today by the Globe & Mail. Some Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) staff blocked the release of a science study that shows a harmful fish farm virus (known as PRV) causes disease in chinook salmon. And get this, they suppressed this information for 10 YEARS!
https://watershedwatch.ca/june-22-do-not-renew/
https://www.safesalmon.ca/?utm_campaign=dfo_witholding_info&utm_medium=email&utm_source=safesalmon

Last edited:
Alaska doesn’t have fish farms but between the State and aquaculture associations the salmon runs, especially pink, chum, and red salmon are augmented with hatchery production in SE and PWS. These augmented runs also threaten wild stocks through diluting the wild gene pool. You see attempts to mitigate this in sport fish limits on take of wild vs hatchery king salmon. These operations take advantage of nature without pens but roll the dice on open ocean survival. They have also resulted in conditioning of whales to hang around hatcheries waiting for release of smolt. The hatcheries now play a shell game with the whales by towing pens of smolt out to release them elsewhere, including empty pens hoping to have the whales follow the wrong pen.

Tom

crowd cheering.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom