Old 06-06-2022, 03:21 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
I can't run SCCA (no rollbar) but I do love my yellow droptop...

A definite beauty Pau!

SCCA dropped the track day rollbar requirement last year for turbocharged cars built after 2006.
syjos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:42 PM   #22
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
A definite beauty Pau!

SCCA dropped the track day rollbar requirement last year for turbocharged cars built after 2006.
Hmmm... a road trip may be in order!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:36 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Charlton N.Y.
Vessel Name: Short Handed
Vessel Model: Sundowner 30’
Smile Red 1961 MGA 1600 convertible in 1966

Most fun car I ever owned was that MGA 1600! What’s not to like for a car enthusiast? A two leather seated convertible with a 4 speed manual transmission that way out cornered all the big boat American cars back then. Of course it only weighed 2000 lbs and that weight was down very low and even though I was 6’4” I could fit in it comfortably. Getting in and out not so much. To open the door you slid the plexiglass window back and reached inside to pull the cable that opened the door. Those glamorous wire wheels were barely safe in fact the spare wheel had so much play in the loose spokes that were frozen up that I would no more spin the one hub nut to replace a flat tire with the spare tire than I would jump off a bridge into unknown water. Although it was the most fun car I ever owned almost all the income from my high school part time job was used to repair one thing or another. Back then I wasn’t skilled at anything mechanical and worse yet the mechanics in Eau Claire Wisconsin didn’t have metric wrenches nor any knowledge of disc brakes. The joke about the Lukas wireing was that if they could only find a way to keep the smoke in the wire insulation it would work fine.
Stephen
sahockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:58 PM   #24
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahockey View Post
Most fun car I ever owned was that MGA 1600! What’s not to like for a car enthusiast? A two leather seated convertible with a 4 speed manual transmission that way out cornered all the big boat American cars back then. Of course it only weighed 2000 lbs and that weight was down very low and even though I was 6’4” I could fit in it comfortably. Getting in and out not so much. To open the door you slid the plexiglass window back and reached inside to pull the cable that opened the door. Those glamorous wire wheels were barely safe in fact the spare wheel had so much play in the loose spokes that were frozen up that I would no more spin the one hub nut to replace a flat tire with the spare tire than I would jump off a bridge into unknown water. Although it was the most fun car I ever owned almost all the income from my high school part time job was used to repair one thing or another. Back then I wasn’t skilled at anything mechanical and worse yet the mechanics in Eau Claire Wisconsin didn’t have metric wrenches nor any knowledge of disc brakes. The joke about the Lukas wireing was that if they could only find a way to keep the smoke in the wire insulation it would work fine.
Stephen
Two of the guys (twins) I worked with had MGA’s. They are now service managers at rival dealerships! Love that car, but could never afford one.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:23 PM   #25
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
I had a Jag Mark II. Its first owner was a doctor who got all the options, including chrome wire spoke wheels with spin-on hubs. The sexiest car ever made. Wind out fourth gear and then, yeah, I've got one more (electric overdrive). Couldn't wear a leather jacket. Leather against leather made a little scritch that was the noisiest thing you could hear.

Parked right in front of a tavern one night and when I walked in a young lady looking at the car said "would you marry me?" Probably not, but maybe we could go for a test drive.

Why do the Brits drink their beer warm? Lucas also made refrigerators.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:34 PM   #26
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahockey View Post
Stephen
Those were beautiful cars.

One of my favorite British roadsters. Lusted after them when I was a kid.
syjos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:58 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Manly qld
I had the old Benz 560sl brand new back in the day, what a fuel injected monster right out of the factory box, I remember one day at a set of lights no one about and a tad wet I lit her up and with in a split second I was rapped around the opposing traffic light, and that was about the end of my 560sl story that day
Mobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:47 AM   #28
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Working on and driving all the latest, greatest Porsches for 40 years spoiled me.
Paid a stupid amount of money for it, but my daily-driver Cayenne GTS is BEASTLY fun to drive.
Attached Thumbnails
20211206_143053.jpg  
Old 06-10-2022, 11:06 AM   #29
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Paid a stupid amount of money for it, but my daily-driver Cayenne GTS is BEASTLY fun to drive.
Nice boat!
I also like the Grand Banks. (JK!)

I prefer my 4WDs to be convertibles, though.

With and without:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1255.jpg   IMG_1244.jpg  
Old 06-10-2022, 02:24 PM   #30

City: Maple Bay BC
Vessel Name: Orca
Vessel Model: RFC Coaster 23
New cars; ho hum

New trucks are Ho hum too.
Yup! I agree with the MGA as the nicest drive. Driver involvement required to milk the best out of it with the little 1600. Of course, it was considered powerful when it came out. Certainly cornered nicely.
My current,almost daily driver, which was my midlife crisis sports car purchase that I have now owned for 23 years.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0782.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	129567
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:36 AM   #31

City: lockhart
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Working on and driving all the latest, greatest Porsches for 40 years spoiled me. Nothing I can afford even comes close. Just boring cars for me.
I've driven Lambo, Ferrari, Ford GT, Dodge Viper, and Porsche on roads and drag raced on a closed airport runway.

Nothing, NOTHING, felt like the Porsche. Some of the others had beastly power and acceleration - as did the Porsche - but they left me white knuckled. The Viper had awesome power but at 100 it already started getting squirrely. I could drive the Porsche at max limits with just my fingertips on the steering wheel and it required very little input to stay in control.

I have a BMW now but yearn for a new Porsche.
phillippeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:40 AM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillippeterson View Post
I've driven Lambo, Ferrari, Ford GT, Dodge Viper, and Porsche on roads and drag raced on a closed airport runway.

Nothing, NOTHING, felt like the Porsche. Some of the others had beastly power and acceleration - as did the Porsche - but they left me white knuckled. The Viper had awesome power but at 100 it already started getting squirrely. I could drive the Porsche at max limits with just my fingertips on the steering wheel and it required very little input to stay in control.

I have a BMW now but yearn for a new Porsche.
Wifey B: Love driving my Porsche although now nearly 10 years old and less than 40,000 miles.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:52 PM   #33
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
We do a boys weekend away each year (old Uni mates). We tend to stay in country pubs and enjoy a beer or two over the catch up each night. Great fun.

The last line up was an 1988 911 (whale tail), a 1992 911, a 2020 911, all terrific cars. BUT, we also had a 1959 1600 MGA along as well on the last trip. This was my favourite car. The bloke that owns it really knows MG's inside out. It is very fast for its age and type, just about keeps up with the Porches. However stopping was another matter.

We try to stick to the old country roads, and when your are in the MG and hit a bump going into a corner the whole car skips sideways, it can be a little unsettling until you get used to it!

We also keep a close eye out for the roos(as in Kanga) on these roads,especially in the late afternoon. They have absolutely no road sense, unlike Emus.

Our next trip is coming up in a few weeks. It will be interesting to see what cars turn up.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:26 PM   #34
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
My customers always asked me what Porsche I owned. I told them I owned a boat. Most of them understood.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:54 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I'm enjoying my Kia Seltos GT-Line, new as of 2 years ago. Seeing it was after driving a Celica GT4 for 28 of its 30 year life, and was a very hard act to follow, this wee beastie is great. I'm loving all the bells and whistles the GT4 lacked.

Like radar cruise, cross-traffic, door open, blindspot warnings, auto lights and wipers, LEDs all round, AEB, forward and backwards, heated and cooled electric seats...the list goes on. And hey, even after owning it that long I just found I can update the mapping software from the Kia website myself, rather than wait for the regular service, and it can be started remotely...who knew..?
PS. Are these selling well over there in NA..?
Old 06-13-2022, 11:23 PM   #36
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Remote start?..........good for bank robbers I suppose.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:58 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Manly qld
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Remote start?..........good for bank robbers I suppose.
This is better
Attached Thumbnails
14D712BB-88EB-49AF-9420-5DCB2E464DE5.jpg  
Mobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:31 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I'm enjoying my Kia Seltos GT-Line, new as of 2 years ago. Seeing it was after driving a Celica GT4 for 28 of its 30 year life, and was a very hard act to follow, this wee beastie is great. I'm loving all the bells and whistles the GT4 lacked.

Like radar cruise, cross-traffic, door open, blindspot warnings, auto lights and wipers, LEDs all round, AEB, forward and backwards, heated and cooled electric seats...the list goes on. And hey, even after owning it that long I just found I can update the mapping software from the Kia website myself, rather than wait for the regular service, and it can be started remotely...who knew..?
PS. Are these selling well over there in NA..?
Hyundai and Kia sell extremely well here.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:57 AM   #39
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
One car I really like is the new style Corvette.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 11:09 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
One car I really like is the new style Corvette.
Wifey B: We have a close friend with one and it's amazing. If I didn't feel like I'd be impeding on Jenn's Vette domain, I might very well consider one.