Old 04-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Unwanted commercial calls

My latest tactic in response to unwanted, anonymous commercial calls asking for me (receive several every day): "Mark Pierce is deceased, and his affairs are settled."
Old 04-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: FIRST (REAL) WORLD
Vessel Name: MYOB, NOSEY
Vessel Model: TS39
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
My latest tactic in response to unwanted, anonymous commercial calls asking for me (receive several every day): "Mark Pierce is deceased, and his affairs are settled."
I get lots of calls telling me the warranty has expired on my car and they can extend it for me. I sask if it is the warranty on the Ferrari, Porsche or Lamborghini that has expired and get a cough just as the line goes dead. There is a lovely U tube of a conversation where the person called pretends to be from homicide squad and thy are trying to call a murder victim, 'when did you last see the deceased?, we need your name address and s/S number so we can have a detective call and interview you personally.... ' HIlarious.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:04 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. mp. Stay with us now... https://www.donotcall.gov/

Register and it may cut down on your obit notices...
Old 04-25-2017, 10:34 PM   #4
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,

"May" is the operative word, Mr. RT. Since putting all our phones on the list, robo calls have increased dramatically.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:43 PM   #5
Master and Commander

Being on a do-not-call list is ineffective. That's my personal experience.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #6
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
While reading this, I got a call on my cell phone.

Pretty cool thing, not sure if it's all Android phones or something unique about mine, but it showed the call as "possibly spam."

If I hang up on a caller after just a few seconds, it prompts me to block the number and/or report it as spam. I can go into the call history, and there's a menu option mark any caller as spam.

I can only assume it's a new feature to crowd-source the identification and blocking of spam numbers faster than the spammers can change them.

I hope it works. I encourage anyone with an Android phone to see if they have these options.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #7
Guru

City: Vermont
I get several a day on my cell phone, which is doubly illegal since it's on the do not call list, and as a cell phone, robo calls to it are illegal. But that doesn't stop anyone.

And blocking the number doesn't help much either. They call in with a called ID using a random, unused phone number. So the incoming caller number is constantly moving. I've tried calling the numbers back a number of times and they are always unused numbers.

The best I have coming up with is to do sort of the opposite of blocking spam numbers. Rather than blocking known offending numbers, I only answer known and recognized numbers. if I don't recognize the incoming number, I simply don't answer. Incoming calls are guilty until proven innocent. I figure if it matters, they will leave a message. I have yet to miss a legitimate call, which shows how bad the situation has gotten.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Do not call registry is completely useless.

These are computers simply dialing 1-111-111-1111 through 1-999-999-9999 intentionally programmed to not call 911. You do not have to answer to get put on the "hot list", if you let it go to voicemail the computer knows to continue randomly calling your number as it is "in use". Peter is right as they utilize any "out of use" numbers(continuous rings without answer) are harvested to be used as the caller ID number for them.

When you do answer and start talking they are programmed to sound and interact like real people and I've heard people hold conversations with them.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
There should be a special level of hell for the folks who run those businesses that make all those calls.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #10
Master and Commander

I rarely answer calls from unknown sources. Usually push "talk" and "off" buttons without waiting for a response. Major problem is that my 98-year-old father uses an anonymous identity (and I keep suggesting he change his phone identity, unsuccessfully), leading me to answer some unwelcome calls.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #11
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
For some funny laughs, look up Tom Mabe on YouTube...

Check out mr. number on you ur cell phones to help blacklist telemarketing calls.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:27 AM   #12
FF
Guru

"There should be a special level of hell for the folks who run those businesses that make all those calls."

Perhaps if they got billed for the answering phones minuets ihe fun would stop.

If its a more intelligent programed call, they may ask , are you ??? insert your name.

Should you answer YES it will be recorded and you have signed up for something bogus and expensive.

The voice ID copy of the YES will be "proof" of your purchase.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:40 AM   #13
Guru

Lately I have wanted to try adding the SIT(Special Information Tone) for this number has been disconnected to the front of my voicemail message. If my guess is correct the computer dialing should list my number as out of service on its database and stop all future attempts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spec...ormation_tones

It would seem I'm not alone in that thinking.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 04-29-2017, 08:10 AM   #14
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
"May" is the operative word, Mr. RT. Since putting all our phones on the list, robo calls have increased dramatically.
Same here.
All of our phones are on the Do not call list.
My wife and I plus the house phone get at least 3 a day each. If its important the caller will leave a message or show up as a caller in our contact list. The unknowns NEVER leave a message. It is getting worse and soon we will need the equivalent of email SPAM or pop-up protection. Anyone remember the X10 camera pop-up ads? Amazing how far that war has gone. Now its come to robo calls.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:48 PM   #15
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
We dropped our home phone line entirely and only answer recognized numbers on the cell. If it's a legit call and we don't pick up, it goes to voicemail and we call back in 2 minutes. I haven't taken a sales call in 2 years. Problem solved.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #16
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Do not call requires maintenance in the form of reporting and informing the caller you don't want the call. Politicians, of course, are exempt. Also companies you have done business with can call until you inform them you do not want any further calls.
I get less than 2 unwanted calls a year. At least one is a politician wanting reelection money.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:49 PM   #17
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I can't imagine anyone doing business with a company that looks for customers this way. So where is the payback to the callers coming from?
I get a lot of calls for extended auto warranty, sometimes for cars I got rid of a couple of years ago, resort stays, and home security systems. I wouldn't dream of buying from a caller maybe some folks do?
Old 04-29-2017, 10:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: FIRST (REAL) WORLD
Vessel Name: MYOB, NOSEY
Vessel Model: TS39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,

Not noticeably. ALL our phones are registered but we still get multiple calls every day.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:18 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I wouldn't dream of buying from a caller maybe some folks do?
Me neither but a lot of folks do, otherwise they'd leave us all alone.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:32 AM   #20

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
I really like the idea of adding the SIT tones to my message. Will give that a go and see how it works. Thanks for that great tip.

Marty...................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote