Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lee Ritenour "Is it You"

Chris Rea "On the Beach"

Not a fan of mimed song videos but the sound quality is so good I don`t care. And there are beaches, boats, and more eye candy.

Last edited:
Deacon blue-Steely Dan

Does anyone pronounce "blue" like Donald Fagen? Vintage Steely Dan, still fresh, still perfect:

RTF, Thanks, though I`ve no memory of that song, comments say it was popular here.

BTW, "Is it You?" made the US charts a long time ago, when Lee Ritenour was way younger. Plenty of his music about but too much improvised jazz for TF.

Vale Burt Bacharach

Sad loss of a song writing genius. Here he is, paying an emotional tribute to Hal David and singing the poignant "Alfie" he rates as one of his best.

Last edited:
Samara Joy "Guess Who I Saw Today"

Emerging singer Samara Joy puts her own mark on the standard perfected by the wonderful Nancy Wilson we lost 2 years ago. One door closes, another door opens.

This is truly strange, but I like it!

RIP Tina Turner

9k=

Gone at age 83. She retired around 2009, having moved to Switzerland with her new husband.
Famed originally as part of Ike and Tina Turner until she walked out on Ike, she soon forged a new and very successful rock music career.
She enjoyed a special relationship with Australia, in particular with Rugby League Football. She became the face of Rugby League, despite initial opposition by some to a black American grandmother taking on the role, in which she succeeded beyond everyone`s wildest dreams.

A truly powerful "rock chick" singer who will long be remembered, especially in Australia

At the time this was made, the guy was married to Rosanne Cash. It is a great song but got little play on the radio for a strange reason. If you’re interested listen to The Professor of Rock tell the story.

Vale Tony Bennett

Tony Bennett has died age 96. After an Alzheimer's diagnosis in 2016 and last performing in 2021, having first performed at age 13. I felt privileged to post here, a little while back in his final years, a perfectly cogent solo performance recorded in his home, dinner suit and all.
As he aged, his voice changed, but in a good way. His phrasing too. His long term backing band,the Ralph Sharon trio served him well, Sharon on piano. A huge but inevitable loss of a brilliant singer who continued to perform longer than we could have hoped.

Tony Bennett has died age 96. After an Alzheimer's diagnosis in 2016 and last performing in 2021, having first performed at age 13. I felt privileged to post here, a little while back in his final years, a perfectly cogent solo performance recorded in his home, dinner suit and all.
As he aged, his voice changed, but in a good way. His phrasing too. His long term backing band,the Ralph Sharon trio served him well, Sharon on piano. A huge but inevitable loss of a brilliant singer who continued to perform longer than we could have hoped.

Well said, Bruce.

Don started Music Favs on Dec 05, 2016.
So far that thread has accumulated 1,304 posts and has been a continual source of joy.

Don’s legacy will live on.

Don started Music Favs on Dec 05, 2016.
So far that thread has accumulated 1,304 posts and has been a continual source of joy.

Don’s legacy will live on.

Beautiful post. thank you much

I have exchanged several emails and spent hours talking at the phone with Don mostly about music and musicians but not only. he was a great man , enthusiastic , also very skilled at boating. I will miss talking with him

RIP

Last edited:
I love this thread. Don will be missed.

Fortunately the melody lingers on,despite Don`s passing. His musical tastes were broad,from traditional American music to more contemporary, including Steely Dan and Anita Baker. He knew of singer Sue Raney I belatedly discovered.
Music is important to many on TF, it certainly was to Don. The thread could be a fitting TF monument to Don`s memory.

I thought of Don`s liking for Steely Dan when reading a review of the Australian Lark Rebellion Single Malt Whisky( $200 for a 500ml bottle!) "graceful,supple and smoother than a chest wax performed with melted Steely Dan records". Maybe Don enjoyed a good whisky too.

Not suggesting Don or anyone else on TF(perhaps since Phil Fill) was into chest waxing, just the Steely Dan reference drew my attention.

I think Don might have liked this. Old song, written by a young Lee Ritenour, sung by a young Phil Perry, "Is It You" never gets old:

Glad you’re keeping this thread alive, Bruce. Here’s one that’s a distinctly different genre with harrowing mountain lyrics that I believe Don also would have loved.

I think you are right Ian. Great track.
Here`s an oldie but a goodie, "Baby Come Back" by Player, from 1977!. Still sounds fresh to me, and the mullet hairstyle is back.

'Stormy"- covered by Santana

Struggled with this, the badly sung awkward live Classics IV original, the Dennis Yost live(ish) version seemingly recorded in geriatric care home, or the still no action clip version by Santana, which won hands down:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom