MMCC Man Made Climate Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Art,

I appreciate your perspective and thanks for your thoughts. However I'm having a hard time wrapping my around, this huge natural fire pit burning for 50 years with no end in sight, being good for the planet and "life-supporting" but when I drive my very efficient car to the store, that is destroying the planet.

I didn't mean to imply that what planet Earth naturally does in and for production of all its natural effects are necessarily good for the planet's environment. There are "natural" hiccups.... however... they are "natural". Unlike the unnatural [unnatural to Earth's own nature that is] human manner of way too much and way too rapid expulsion of excavated burned carbon thrust back into Earth's atmosphere. Earth's natural conditions are not equipped to handle the carbon overload we are unnaturally thrusting upon its life giving and life supporting systems.

Earth's ecosystem's - environment, climate, seasons, oceanic currents, trade winds and other natural items work together like a big clock. We, having suddenly foist [during the last 121 years] way more carbon into the air and ocean waters, have upset the geared timing of this global-scale clock. Humans must reset the clock back into what Earth needs to be able to continue the currently still available life-positive attributes of its nature. If this reset is not accomplished soon enough [within the next few decades] then Earth's nature will change. The potential oncoming changes seem to not be in favor of humanity's future good.

Follow the science.

Hi Art,

I appreciate your perspective and thanks for your thoughts. However I'm having a hard time wrapping my around, this huge natural fire pit burning for 50 years with no end in sight, being good for the planet and "life-supporting" but when I drive my very efficient car to the store, that is destroying the planet.

One way to look at it that may help is that peat fires, lightning strike forest fires and
the like have occurred for as long as there have been peat bogs and forests.
They 'co-exist'. The world's ecology has evolved this way.

When we learned how to extract and burn 100+ million year old stored carbon by the
billions of tons we introduced a new set of conditions that nature has no balancing fix for.

Edit: I see Art got there first. :)

Last edited:
I didn't mean to imply that what planet Earth naturally does in and for production of all its natural effects are necessarily good for the planet's environment. There are "natural" hiccups.... however... they are "natural". Unlike the unnatural [unnatural to Earth's own nature that is] human manner of way too much and way too rapid expulsion of excavated burned carbon thrust back into Earth's atmosphere. Earth's natural conditions are not equipped to handle the carbon overload we are unnaturally thrusting upon its life giving and life supporting systems.

Earth's ecosystem's - environment, climate, seasons, oceanic currents, trade winds and other natural items work together like a big clock. We, having suddenly foist [during the last 121 years] way more carbon into the air and ocean waters, have upset the geared timing of this global-scale clock. Humans must reset the clock back into what Earth needs to be able to continue the currently still available life-positive attributes of its nature. If this reset is not accomplished soon enough [within the next few decades] then Earth's nature will change. The potential oncoming changes seem to not be in favor of humanity's future good.

Follow the science.

OK, so accepting what you have just said, what do we need to do exactly? It's easy to say we must change but how? I do observe steady progress in the U.S. towards greater efficiency and more non-fossil fuel power production while many other countries get a pass. I've yet to see some actionable suggestions that we can pursue that will reverse climate change on a global scale.

Reactions: Art
OK, so accepting what you have just said, what do we need to do exactly? It's easy to say we must change but how? I do observe steady progress in the U.S. towards greater efficiency and more non-fossil fuel power production while many other countries get a pass. I've yet to see some actionable suggestions that we can pursue that will reverse climate change on a global scale.
I am no paragon of energy efficiency but one action I've taken was to trade my
Ford Expedition in for a Ford Escape Hybrid about 13 years ago. That saved about
a million pounds of carbon right there! BTW, the Escape Hybrid is still getting twice
the MPG of the Expedition 13 years and 230k miles later. I would buy one again today.

Something like that and getting people to stop pissing on adding renewable energy to the grid!

Last edited:
The easiest way to solve this problem is eliminating humans. No plastic problem, no co2 problem, no pollution problems. All solved.

When we learned how to extract and burn 100+ million year old stored carbon by the billions of tons we introduced a new set of conditions that nature has no balancing fix for.

.....and you know this how?

Maybe it hasn't adapted yet. You just [STRIKE]don't[/STRIKE] can't know.

Again, before you call me a "denier" as you so love to do, I DO agree something needs to be done - maybe you didn't read it the first 50 times.

Last edited:
.....and you know this how?

Maybe it hasn't adapted yet. You just [STRIKE]don't[/STRIKE] can't know.

Again, before you call me a "denier" as you so love to do, I DO agree something needs to be done - maybe you didn't read it the first 50 times.
Fortunately, we do know with great accuracy both the amount of carbon we have added
to the environment and the rate at which the environment is able to offset it.

It hasn't adapted yet and science demonstrates both how and why.
There is no 'maybe'.

I do not love responding to your posts; I would rather be changing my oil.
Your denial is either evident or not based on your statements, not mine.

Bigsfish has the only real fix so far. KnotYet kind of proves my point whether it was an intentional change in vehicles or just a normal progression. We all drive much more efficient vehicles than our parents did. Our homes are likely more efficient. Our light bulbs, TVs and other appliances are. About 30% of homes in my neighborhood have sprouted solar panels in the last few years. I think that free choice and the desire for more efficient use of energy is driving change. What I fear most is the govt "fixing" this. How long down that road do you think it will be before politicians decide recitational boating needs to be curtailed for the good of the planet. They could limit the amount of fuel you can buy, or just tax it so much that you can't afford it. I'm all for advances in technology. I hope to own an electric car before too long. But I don't want air travel to be eliminated along with the choice to eat meat because planes and cattle are contributing to climate change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom