Miscellaneous Boating Stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Not having much to do today, the posting of the days fishing in North Carolina brought back a lot of memories. Those were good times. Our kids loved it, and they got the experience of a lifetime. Both my sons say their fondest memories were of those days. Here's a picture I posted in the "Interesting Boats" thread. It also reminded me of a friend.

img_163038_0_d0ded2c0e7891b8364c89d519fac9603.jpg

The little 25' Bertram on the other side of Chinook belonged to a really nice older gentleman, Harvey Hines. Harvey was the Coca-Cola bottler in Kinston, NC. One day Harvey and his son were out marlin fishing and brought about a 250 lb marlin into the boat. The fish was greener than thought, and proceeded to destroy the inside of the boat. Harvey and his son retreated to the flybridge, and headed back in. I think they gave the fish a deed to the boat. Anyway the inside had to be entirely rebuilt.

I think I have told this story before, but one day after James, the dockmaster, had left for the day a 130' yacht pulled up to the T dock. Harvey and i walked up to take a look, and Harvey said, "Don that is a capital yacht." Then he asked if I knew what he meant.

I said that I knew that a capital ship was a battle ship or carrier, but didn't know what a capital yacht was. Harvey said he thinks a capital yacht is one that you have to touch the capital to operate because you can't operate it out of income.

I sure miss Harvey and some of the other guys around there. We were all fishing fools, and were very competitive with each other. However, most of us became very good friends.

I'm sure that many of you have some favorite stories of the past. I for one am interested in hearing them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom