Old 01-13-2021, 08:27 AM   #41
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Taxes are taxes, however disguised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The Euro lotteries are a better deal, the taxes are removed before the winnings are issued so if you win a million , you get a million , not a check for a million stapled to an IRS notice of taxes due.

catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:39 AM   #42
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The Euro lotteries are a better deal, the taxes are removed before the winnings are issued so if you win a million , you get a million , not a check for a million stapled to an IRS notice of taxes due.
Yep, the real winners in U.S. lotteries are the IRS and Congress.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:41 AM   #43
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. cj. "...something about education." 'Tis a pity none of the education $$ went to math (the odds) or reasoning skills (what are the odds?).

Old 01-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #44
Guru

Congress, yes, the IRS, no. The IRS is just the collection agency. It gets no benefit one way or another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Yep, the real winners in U.S. lotteries are the IRS and Congress.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:22 AM   #45
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
The idea that lotteries fund a specific purpose is preposterous. Unless education, for example, gets the profits, all of the profits, over and above levels of funding pre-lottery, it is all a sham. The fact is, money is a fungible commodity. Lottery money ends up in the general fund in one form or another.
Exactly. I remember when Florida first introduced their lottery. It was called The Florida Education Lottery. The money went into The Florida Education Lottery Fund. But the small print said that the legislature could spend the money in any way they wanted. For every single dollar of the lottery money that they spent on education, they REDUCED by a dollar the money spent on education from the general fund. They did NOT increase the amount being spent on education, they just moved it around.

The whole thing was (is) a great, big sham! And that's about the nicest word that you can use for it!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:39 PM   #46
Guru

About 30 years ago, the State Govt introduced a "3 by 3" fuel tax. 3c a litre, for a fixed period of 3 years, to cover some rural roadworks.
The "3 years" proved highly elastic. We still have it.
Then there`s the "imported luxury car tax", to protect local manufacturers of higher end cars against imports. We no longer build any cars, luxury or not, in Australia. The tax remains in force.

Governments get very attached to the tax teat.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:32 AM   #47
FF
Guru

The "gas taxes"were claimed to fix roads and bridges , which instantly morphed to a transportation tax to bail out unused air ports in congressional towns , and commuter railroads .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:36 AM   #48
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Congress, yes, the IRS, no. The IRS is just the collection agency. It gets no benefit one way or another.
It adds to how much they collect, which directly relates to how much of a budget increase they get.

That's about the only performance indicator the IRS has to present to Congress.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:15 AM   #49
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
A Youper goes into Wallymart to buy some condoms (on sale). The cashier says "That'll be $8+tax." The fella says "Tax? I thought they stayed on by themselves."

Old 01-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #50

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Name: Wingspan
Vessel Model: Aluminum Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
Let's see, $2 to have a 1:14-million chance to win half a BILLION dollars?!?!
Well, I can see you people aren't statisticians. If it costs $2 for a 1 :14-million chance, then take out a loan and buy 14-million tickets for $28 million. Then you have a 1 : 1 chance of making half a billion for only $28 million.

Jeez, you'd think a bunch of smart folks like you would have figured that out...I would do it, but I don't believe in gambling.
Bkay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:24 AM   #51
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
It adds to how much they collect, which directly relates to how much of a budget increase they get.

I donít believe the IRS has had a budget increase in over a decade, only budget cuts. The number of auditors has dropped every year. With fewer returns being checked the amount of fraud, evasion and non-payment has soared.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #52
Guru

The IRS budget is NOT dependent on how much it collects. How do I know? Before I retired I worked at a high level for the chief IRS budget officer.
Quote:

Old 01-19-2021, 11:50 AM   #53
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkay View Post
Well, I can see you people aren't statisticians. If it costs $2 for a 1 :14-million chance, then take out a loan and buy 14-million tickets for $28 million. Then you have a 1 : 1 chance of making half a billion for only $28 million.

Jeez, you'd think a bunch of smart folks like you would have figured that out...I would do it, but I don't believe in gambling.
Well, if we're going to get all analytical about it, it's even worse than that since there is no fixed number of tickets sold. They allow unlimited duplicate numbers to be sold which lowers your odds of winning and means you may have to divide the winnings with X number of others. In my mind the lottery is almost purely a recreational activity with a likelihood of payoff approaching zero. Kind of like boating.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #54
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
In my mind the lottery is almost purely a recreational activity with a likelihood of payoff approaching zero. Kind of like boating.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! (With one, minor correction.)
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:23 AM   #55
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I see somebody won the Powerball -- $730 million. Rats. That means I'll have to use Mega Millions winnings instead to buy the Nordie.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM   #56
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
I see somebody won the Powerball -- $730 million. Rats. That means I'll have to use Mega Millions winnings instead to buy the Nordie.

Too bad, shipmate, I've already got the Golden Wonka Bar, but I'll save you a bunk.
Attached Thumbnails
lotto.JPG  

AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote