Largest Cruise Ship, Or Just Ugliest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptTom

Guru
Vessel Make
Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
You decide:
2016-03-10T175821Z_793434892_D1AESRTDKFAA_RTRMADP_3_FRANCE-STX.jpg

Hideous monstrosity. I don't care how many shopping malls and climbing walls it may have, ug-ug-ugly.

The aesthetic end result to maximizing profit at all cost.

I'm ok with it. Would much rather have all of those people on one boat far away from me, than clogging up my favorite anchorages. If that's what it takes to get them all together for the next cruise ship plague, so be it. Kind of like mice in an over populated laboratory experiment.

Ted

I'm not a cruise ship fan or one who cruises on them, so it's not designed to appeal to me and doesn't really matter what I think of it. I feel like I don't get a vote. I am not capable of appreciating a great cruise ship.

You'll know it when you see it.

Attachments

• Queen_Mary_II_Einlaufen_Hamburg_Hafengeburtstag_2006_-2.jpg
    Queen_Mary_II_Einlaufen_Hamburg_Hafengeburtstag_2006_-2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 186
You'll know it when you see it.

Thanks, I needed that! The QM2 is one fine-looking boat.

I feel better now.

I got up close and personal with her on her first visit to Portland (ME). I was totally in awe. We saw her through the haze as we rounded Portland Head. Couldn't figure out what we were seeing in the distance where the city was supposed to be. As she emerged out of the fog and we got to see her lines... wow. Just wow.

I'm ok with it. Would much rather have all of those people on one boat far away from me, than clogging up my favorite anchorages. If that's what it takes to get them all together for the next cruise ship plague, so be it. Kind of like mice in an over populated laboratory experiment.

Ted

We refer to such things as "fly paper".

Not only is that a really, really ugly boat, but as top heavy as it looks, not too sure I would want to be on it in a big blow! Plus, I can't imagine being stuck on that thing with as many passengers as it must carry. A floating cattle car designed solely to separate you from as many of your dollars as possible.

My office used to overlook the Hudson river and I regularly got to see the QE2 come and go. Everything else is just a garbage scow.

I love a cruise. I've really enjoyed the ones I've been on. That being said, just about all modern cruise ships are pretty hideous to look at. Classic, old timey passenger ships were just so pretty. So graceful and elegant. They're what got me into boats in the first place. They just don't make 'em like they used to...

Attachments

• REX1.jpg
    REX1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 186
  • norm.jpg
    norm.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 187
  • ILE%20DE%20FRANCE%20.jpg
    ILE%20DE%20FRANCE%20.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 185
  • tumblr_m2hz8rjtBD1qes27do1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m2hz8rjtBD1qes27do1_1280.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 179
  • ken marshall15.jpg
    ken marshall15.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Na1.jpg
    Na1.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 187
  • QUEEN MARY at New York.jpg
    QUEEN MARY at New York.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 176
Thanks Dave, love those old liners.

It got me thinking, so I looked up the status of the SS United States. Turns out there's another plan to (maybe) restore her. Check out this story.

I'm not holding out a lot of hope, but it sure would be great to see her underway again.

Thanks Dave, love those old liners.

It got me thinking, so I looked up the status of the SS United States. Turns out there's another plan to (maybe) restore her. Check out this story.

I'm not holding out a lot of hope, but it sure would be great to see her underway again.

Yup, I just learned about that a couple of weeks ago. Here's a link to big plan maker's website. It's got a few renderings of what they want to do with her. I like a lot about the new look.

I think the phrase is 'cautiously optimistic.'

Only cruise ship (ocean liner) I've been on was the Andrea Doria (sunk 1956).

Doria1.jpg

Doria2.JPG

The gilded fist class china is very nice though.

Doria3.jpg

Doria4.jpg

Ted

How many feet of water does she lie in Ted?
The sand around the wreck varies a bit, 240' is a good average. When I was diving it, the shallowest point was around 180'. The area where we were getting the 1st class china was around 220' deep and maybe 75' inside.

Ted

Interesting, thanks for the lesson.

The sand around the wreck varies a bit, 240' is a good average. When I was diving it, the shallowest point was around 180'. The area where we were getting the 1st class china was around 220' deep and maybe 75' inside.

Ted

I was thinking that you were aboard before she went down... I was wondering how old you were...:hide:

That must have been an awesome dive! I'd love to see her. What kind of shape is she in?

I was thinking that you were aboard before she went down... I was wondering how old you were...:hide:
:nonono:

That must have been an awesome dive! I'd love to see her. What kind of shape is she in?

Think I dove her 16 times over 4 or 5 years.

She has been falling apart. I believe the unsupported bow finally broke off.

Imagine the weight of the bow unsupported for half a century. Hull wasn't designed for that kind of sustained loading.
Doria5.jpg

A better representation of the collapse of all the above deck level structures.
Doria6.jpg

Ted

Juno is the oldest passanger ship in the World still working; on the Gota canal in Sweden,
Launched 1874.

images

Last edited:
Some Australian (with help from Dubai) is making a replica of the Titanic. Hopefully it will at least get through its maiden voyage.
That would be Queensland businessman/politician Clive Palmer, associated with Queensland Nickel which recently ceased production. I would very much like to see photos of the ship under construction, it`s only 2 years to the maiden voyage. I`ll believe it when I see them, or the ship.

A fellow I know makes his living painting portraits of beautiful ships.
He's an interesting guy and a very good artist. He dresses like its the late 1800's.
He has built a couple of interesting small boats as well.
Here is a link to his website.
Paintings of Ships

The Empress of Canada - We emigrated to Canada from Scotland on this ship.

Maid of the Loch - My Grandmother took me every summer with her lawn bowling club on an excursion on Loch Lomond on this ship.

The Canberra - My Dad helped design the screws for this one.

They don't load in the order I attached. First left - Maid of the Loch, Right - Canberra, Lower left - Empress of Canada

Attachments

• empress.jpg
    empress.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 323
  • loch.jpg
    loch.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 83
  • canberra.jpg
    canberra.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
She has been falling apart. I believe the unsupported bow finally broke off.

Imagine the weight of the bow unsupported for half a century. Hull wasn't designed for that kind of sustained loading.
View attachment 49950

A better representation of the collapse of all the above deck level structures.
View attachment 49951

Ted

What a shame. She was such a pretty lady. Only a few years old when she went down, too.

A fellow I know makes his living painting portraits of beautiful ships.
He's an interesting guy and a very good artist. He dresses like its the late 1800's.
He has built a couple of interesting small boats as well.
Here is a link to his website.
Paintings of Ships

I've seen some of these portraits before. I love this sort of thing.

Canberra was a regular P&O line visitor to Australia.
These days P&O seems to consist of 3 budget class cruiseships,plus 2 ex Holland America ships still partly in HA livery.
Harmony OTS is not pretty, ship design has clearly given way to making $.
Cruise ships are what you make them,and they can get you to interesting places you might have trouble accessing otherwise. The buffet can be a danger area.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom