Landslide In Norway Sweeps Eight Homes Into The Sea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe it said that they knew it was going to happen and had drones up.

I believe it said that they knew it was going to happen and had drones up.

Interesting. They must have detected early slippage. And that also explains why nobody was hurt.

It was quite the spectacular sight.

In BC it's called an 'earth flow' which is different than your typical of rock & crap falling down a mountain landslide but rather oozes across the landscape, sometimes for over a kilometre. The Kitimat Valley has had a bunch of them in recorded history and many in the past.

When the ice sheet was on the land here it was 5,500' thick (ridges and mountains up to that height are rounded smooth, ridges and mountains above that height are sharp edged with pointed peaks) and the weight of the ice sheet actually pushed the continent lower.

When the ice sheet melted, the earth rebounded back up. This left massive deposits of glaciomarine clay...fine particles which had settled to the oceans bottom beyond estuaries into a thick layer of clay, which because of the rebounding can be found 15 kilometres up the Kitimat Valley.

Over time, due to some unknown to me chemical transformation/process the salt remaining in the clay develops into a microscopic columnar structure that can become very unstable and collapse, causing the earth to flow. The slope determines how far and fast it will flow.

Learned about such stuff when there was a proposal to build dual diluted bitumen and condensate pipelines through such terrain, perpendicular to the slope and paralleling our river for almost its entire length. Luckily, it wasn't built.

When they did a modern hydrographic survey of Douglas Channel in preparation for the proposed project they found evidence of two massive earth flows (63 million cubic metres of material) that had occurred under water, which would have caused local tsunamis.

I suspect Norway, with it's glacial past, is much the same.

Last edited:
The big one that is waiting is on the west side of the Azores, about 4 billion tons. In the past, as the Azores have broken up massive pieces of the islands have let loose. The entire east coast of the US has been hit with large tsunamis in the past, shaping the entire shore line along with hundreds of thousands of hurricanes.

When the Azores let loose, goodbye to whoever is around the US east coast at that time. Mother Nature is ever present and not always friendly.

... All in all, I think it is wonderful how we now have cameras everywhere.

I don't. It makes it so hard to get away with anything these days.

If you TP the house down the street, they're going have video of you from three different angles. I mean, come on... how can we have any fun anymore?

Last edited:
I don't. It makes it so hard to get away with anything these days.

If you TP the house down the street, they're going have video of you from three different angles. I mean, come on... how can we have any fun anymore?

Sian found a lot of bird feathers on our porch a few weeks back and asked me to check the camera to see what ate a bird. We got to see a couple of ducks making out!

Back
Top Bottom