Lake Champlain NDZ + Grey Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Decided to start a new thread on this one.

Some of you know our destination for the summer is Lake Champlain and I've been confused by some of the information out there regarding grey water.

I cannot find anywhere that says in legal terms no grey water. I did see on the NYS canal systems web page that makes a mention of no grey water discharge in the lake. But all of the other resources from lake protection organizations to University backed studies all say grey water is discharge is ok.

So I'm saying my boat is in compliance. I have no overboard discharge for my sewage and my drains go overboard.

If anyone has conflicting info I would be interested.

Thanks.

This has been discussed here in the past, and AFAIK there is no definitive answer for Lake Champlain. OTOH no one has reported being cited for dumping their grey water.

The legality of dumping grey water is, well grey. As an RVer I know it is illegal to dump grey water in NPs, SPs, USFS parks but not BLM areas.

David

According to this, grey water discharge is permitted.

greywater

Yes sir, that was one of my sources.

But then I run across this too.

Just wanting to be sure I have the correct information if I get questioned.

Attachments

• Canal stance on grey water.jpg
    Canal stance on grey water.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 37
I’ve seen that grey water ban comment in a few places. It may be there was some confusion between the CWA restrictions and subsequent CBA which clarified or created an exemption from NPDES permitting. That’s what I got from the Sea Grant memo and some other places about the Lake Champlain Basin Program echo that. While you can find state and federal prohibitions from black water discharge, I haven’t seen a law and citation from grey water prohibition.

I’ve seen that grey water ban comment in a few places. It may be there was some confusion between the CWA restrictions and subsequent CBA which clarified or created an exemption from NPDES permitting. That’s what I got from the Sea Grant memo and some other places about the Lake Champlain Basin Program echo that. While you can find state and federal prohibitions from black water discharge, I haven’t seen a law and citation from grey water prohibition.

Thanks, that is pretty much my take on it also. When first checked into doing a season on the lake I thought I may have to put in a grey water tank.

I also did read to Vermont will cover 75% of the coast of installing pump out stations.

IMO that NY Canal page is absolutely incorrect.

I certainly have seen publications that state clearly that greywater discharge is prohibited. I also believe these are coercive tactics that attempt to shape boaters behaviors with no legal basis.
The Lake Champlain Committee is one such organization. And their publication mentions grey water.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IQFnoECAcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1ImIUR_yVmEmMvKtTvvwTO

I have written to the above 2X asking for reference a NY or VT law / regulation regarding grey water and they won't answer the requests.
NY Laws mention disconnect MSD overboard discharge hose(s) but no mention of grey water on Lk Champlain. Note: NY does control and prohibit grey water discharge on inland lakes such as Lk George.
This Sea Grant Memo is the best summary of the issue and conclusion that grey water discharge from recreational vessels into Lake Champlain is perfectly legal. If I were cruising and concerned about it I would carry a copy of this to show anyone that questioned a discharge.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IQFnoECD0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw0Qz1AOIoxqR21HnVCrmtc-

Screenshot_20220405-155804_Office.jpg

IMO that NY Canal page is absolutely incorrect.

I certainly have seen publications that state clearly that greywater discharge is prohibited. I also believe these are coercive tactics that attempt to shape boaters behaviors with no legal basis.
The Lake Champlain Committee is one such organization. And their publication mentions grey water.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IQFnoECAcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1ImIUR_yVmEmMvKtTvvwTO

I have written to the above 2X asking for reference a NY or VT law / regulation regarding grey water and they won't answer the requests.
NY Laws mention disconnect MSD overboard discharge hose(s) but no mention of grey water on Lk Champlain. Note: NY does control and prohibit grey water discharge on inland lakes such as Lk George.
This Sea Grant Memo is the best summary of the issue and conclusion that grey water discharge from recreational vessels into Lake Champlain is perfectly legal. If I were cruising and concerned about it I would carry a copy of this to show anyone that questioned a discharge.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IQFnoECD0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw0Qz1AOIoxqR21HnVCrmtc-

View attachment 127456
Interesting Read. Thank you for sharing.

Interesting Read. Thank you for sharing.
ASD
Agree - I find it both interesting and disappointing that it takes a Sea Grant investigation to sort through state and supposedly credible organizations regs & BS to offer an opinion. I do appreciate having it clarified by Sea Grant as this has confused boaters for literally decades.

ASD
Agree - I find it both interesting and disappointing that it takes a Sea Grant investigation to sort through state and supposedly credible organizations regs & BS to offer an opinion. I do appreciate having it clarified by Sea Grant as this has confused boaters for literally decades.
I think it would work with other waters. Especially the definitions

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom