Job I never new existed; Now wish I had.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civilitas

Vessel Name
M/V Peter Iredale ;)
Vessel Make
rusting hulk
I read this snippet in a news article today:

The space rock exploded with 10 times the energy released by the Hiroshima atomic bomb.

Lindley Johnson, planetary defence officer at Nasa, told BBC News ...

Planetary Defense Officer? YGBSM...

If I knew that was a real job, I'd have spent the last 20 years getting credentialed for it. OMG - imagine the gravitas of dropping that at a cocktail party, or having it on your business card to hand off in a bar... Imagine the latitude that could give you in budgeting and authority day-to-day.

The mind reels at the possibilities... ;)

And here I thought "Applicant Interviewer and Quality Control Tester" at the Mustang Ranch (state licensed brothel) would have been the job to have.

Ted

I watched a 'documentary' about what happened after the asteroid which wiped out the dinosaurs hit just north of South America...apparently, chunks of crust were falling in British Columbia where I live. :eek:

Lots of rocks & ice whizzing around out there. The last close call I remember hearing about passed 1/2 way between the Earth and the Moon and nobody knew it was coming because it came from the direction of the Sun...nobody saw it until it went by.

It's just a matter of time: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47607696

Last edited:
I want to be the tester for condoms :D ok I am out lol

L

After being self employed for so long the only paid job i’m Willing to accept is Retired.

Hahaha, Lou, hope you don’t get fired for being physically incapable of meeting the job requirements.

"the only paid job i’m Willing to accept is Retired."

No question there are far more tasks to do when Retired , but how does one get paid to do them?

I read this snippet in a news article today:

Planetary Defense Officer? YGBSM...

If I knew that was a real job, I'd have spent the last 20 years getting credentialed for it. OMG - imagine the gravitas of dropping that at a cocktail party, or having it on your business card to hand off in a bar... Imagine the latitude that could give you in budgeting and authority day-to-day.

The mind reels at the possibilities... ;)

Only problem of being Planetary Defense Officer is that current human technology as a pretty much zero chance of deflecting an asteroid. Humans can only get a few hundred pounds into deep space and that takes many, many months of travel time (not counting the years it takes to design and build the rocket). Add in all the political in-fighting that would occur before an asteroid defense could even be mounted and you may was well just kiss your *s* goodbye when the big one comes.

In the meantime, being Planetary Defense Officer might be a great way of impressing chicks at parties. Might be the only thing it is good for.

Last edited:
In the meantime, being Planetary Defense Officer might be a great way of impressing chicks at parties. Might be the only thing it is good for.

And if we're all going to die, that's good enough for me!

"Humans can only get a few hundred pounds into deep space and that takes many, many months of travel time (not counting the years it takes to design and build the rocket)."

No problem , now that private companies are launching to space and only charge 1/10 of NASA prices (with a goal of reducing it to 1/100) a simple competition should get a push away (or whatever ) is required.

"Humans can only get a few hundred pounds into deep space and that takes many, many months of travel time (not counting the years it takes to design and build the rocket)."

No problem , now that private companies are launching to space and only charge 1/10 of NASA prices (with a goal of reducing it to 1/100) a simple competition should get a push away (or whatever ) is required.
We're competing for the same job at Mustang, Ted. Great minds!

We're competing for the same job at Mustang, Ted. Great minds!
Not sure how I copied Fred's post. Trying to work off my phone.

Interesting how well the upstart aerospace guys are doing.

"Interesting how well the upstart aerospace guys are doing."

The upstarts are interested in progress , gov in charge is interested in more meetings.

Upstarts understand failure is part of any advance ,

gov employees just don't want any setbacks so desire to blame a group.

"Interesting how well the upstart aerospace guys are doing."

The upstarts are interested in progress , gov in charge is interested in more meetings.

Upstarts understand failure is part of any advance ,

gov employees just don't want any setbacks so desire to blame a group.
When I worked for the NIH I learned to use committees to make decisions. No tenured bureaucrat can reject the finding of a committee. Also works well in big corporations or start ups run by academics...

...Upstarts understand failure is part of any advance...

In the case of upcoming planetary annihilation, there probably won't be a lot of trial and error time to get it right.

"there probably won't be a lot of trial and error time to get it right."

The past is not the future , but its been 3 or 4 billion years ,for a planet ending event, so even a gov. might have time.

Although C. N.Parkinson's Law states

"Work expands to fill the time available"

Last edited:
In the case of upcoming planetary annihilation, there probably won't be a lot of trial and error time to get it right.

One other good thing is if you screw up this job probably not many left to bit#h about your screw up[emoji4]

John

"There will be no more misery
When the world is our rotisserie.
We all will go together
When we go."
--Tom Lehrer

In 5 billion years the Sun will begin its helium burning phase and expand out into a giant red star that will reach/consume Earth. The planet is doomed no matter what.

Hopefully by then (if we're still around) we'll have smartened up, found a Plan-B planet, and get it right from the start...if the original occupants allow us to resettle there.

Birds singing today, sun is shining, just a bit of snow left on the valley floor.

Life is good :thumb: :thumb:

Last edited:
I am a over paid, under worked retired federal employee. I picked my career due to the benefits and retirement. I worked in the lumber industry in the 70s. It went boobs up.

Had I known what Transmission Linemen make I would have maybe gone that route.

"I worked in the lumber industry in the 70s. It went boobs up."

Your burorats at work?

"I worked in the lumber industry in the 70s. It went boobs up."

Your burorats at work?

Yep. Most saw mills are closed, while I see millions of board feet in timber loaded on ships from China......

In all honesty, I was working my way up through my dream job when my health went awry. :cry:I was an aviation line service tech and a commercial pilot in training. I was getting ready to start my IFR training and move into the prop jet arena. I did a lot of moving aircraft around as a fairy (ferry) pilot.

Greetings,
Mr. CM. VERY interesting! That article is dated March 8th, 2019 and from the article: " All expressed a desire to see the final paper, which will be published next week, in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, so that they could evaluate the data for themselves."
March 15th is come and gone. I would REALLY like to read that paper. It would fly in the face of MY theory...Or add credence...

giphy.webp

Makes you think looking for asteroids might not be a dumb idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom