Japan: A cruel and Dishonorable nation...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. BK. I am NOT debating whether or not memorials such as YV (had to look it up) are a good or bad thing (they're good) but how many have the opportunity or the incentive to visit such a site? Likewise, I consider myself fairly well read but as mentioned I was totally unaware YV existed. How is the "average" person to be made aware of both the commemorative sites AND the history behind them if not taught, at some point the who, what, where, why and how's? I don't think it's taught in any schools I'm aware of. Teach the "humanities" but also the "inhumanities". Very easy to design a curriculum NOT based on religion.
I'm sure there are similar memorials worldwide dedicated to events that highlight "man's inhumanity to man" but who, other than people directly involved somehow actually know about both the memorials and most importantly the events that generated same?
While I feel this particular list is lacking, a "top ten". A couple of which I didn't know about myself...
Top 10 Most Horrific Genocides In History - Toptenz.net

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. BK. I am NOT debating whether or not memorials such as YV (had to look it up) are a good or bad thing (they're good) but how many have the opportunity or the incentive to visit such a site? Likewise, I consider myself fairly well read but as mentioned I was totally unaware YV existed. How is the "average" person to be made aware of both the commemorative sites AND the history behind them if not taught, at some point the who, what, where, why and how's? I don't think it's taught in any schools I'm aware..
I was fortunate to visit Israel quite some years back, safer then, though some places were off limits.Traveling alone, I took a 10 day tour, it included Yad Vashem. The memorial to the children is profoundly disturbing. I don`t know how people get informed about these memorials, it probably requires local knowledge or an interest, it certainly figures in guidebooks. My father`s side of the family was Jewish so I`m interested. I doubt any American is unaware of the 9/11 Memorial, without intending it we arrived in NYC on the 10 year anniversary, it was a moving experience.
A good thing about TF is the diversity of knowledge and interests, apart from boating, members have and share. I`m always learning.

Back
Top Bottom