iPad/iPhone photo fix!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
For those of you who struggle with Apple device pictures that post in a seemingly random orientation, here is the trick.
The "why" has something to do with the method Apple uses vs what "everyone else" uses to attach metadata to the photo. The forum does not recognize the Apple method so the picture is sometimes sideways.

'The fix" is actually pretty easy.
If you want your Apple/IOS pictures to be top side up you need to first edit them in an app that attaches the correct metadata to the photo.

I use an app called ImageResizer but almost any photo app will do. Take your pick from thousands in the App Store.
Any editing will attach the needed info to the picture and voila, it is right side up when posted. I usually resize the photo and re-save it. It literally takes seconds.
Hope this helps...
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2053.jpg
    IMG_2053.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 74
Bruce,

An easier way to fix without a third party app :

If you want your Apple/IOS pictures to be top side up you need to first edit with the "Edit" option in Camera Roll:

1) Open Camera Roll, load the pic
2) Click on "Edit"
3) Rotate the pic to 90° or 180 / Right or left, it doesn't matter, just rotate it.
4) Save the modified pic.

5) Click on "Edit" again,
6) Rotate in the right side then Save it.

No other app needed, and fast to fix.

Attachments

• Img_2027.jpg
    Img_2027.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Img_2028.jpg
    Img_2028.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Img_2029.jpg
    Img_2029.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Img_2030.jpg
    Img_2030.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Img_2031.jpg
    Img_2031.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Img_2032.jpg
    Img_2032.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Img_2033.jpg
    Img_2033.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Img_2034.jpg
    Img_2034.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Well now, look at that!
I began using the resize app on a different forum where photo size was strictly enforced. It never occurred to me to try it that way...
Thank you,
Bruce

Or .... get an Android phone. :D

When I open the app on my iPad, the posts show a large preview photo, whether it's a GIF that RTF posted or a photo contained within the thread. My iPhone only shows the text, no big photos as a preview. Is there a way to just show the text preview in the iPad?

@drb1025

No option on the App to just show the text on iPad.

But if you are using Safari on your iPad :

- Go to CP (Control Panel)

- Settings and Options,

- Edit Options,

- Scroll down to Thread Display Options,

- Uncheck Show Images.

So, you can use Safari on iPad to just look at the txt, and your App for txt AND pics.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Or .... get an Android phone. :D

There's no need. I've posted hundreds of pictures from my iPhone and iPad and have never followed any of these procedures. Never had a disoriented photo either though I have fixed perhaps 300+ for other members.

If an Ipad or Iphone is used sideways (panoramic view) with the picture taking button to the right side, looking at it, your pictures will always be aligned properly. No need for any apps or alterations after the fact. This has always been like this and Apple will not fix it for some reason.

If an Ipad or Iphone is used sideways (panoramic view) with the picture taking button to the right side, looking at it, your pictures will always be aligned properly. No need for any apps or alterations after the fact. This has always been like this and Apple will not fix it for some reason.

Issue is not with picture taken in landscape mode (panoramic view), it's in portrait mode.

Issue is not with picture taken in landscape mode (panoramic view), it's in portrait mode.

Yes I understand that, what I am saying is that if you always take your pictures in panoramic view you will not have any problem posting to any site. Knowing this I always take pictures panoramic on my Iphone. A nuisance but easier than dealing with rotation.

Yes I understand that, what I am saying is that if you always take your pictures in panoramic view you will not have any problem posting to any site. Knowing this I always take pictures panoramic on my Iphone. A nuisance but easier than dealing with rotation.

That's right :thumb:

I tend to find that the time the post ends up sideways is when one posts a portrait view next to a landscape view. Maybe the forum software does not like the uneven sides of the pics, and likes to line them all up..? So, it may not all be down to an iPhone thing. I would be interested to hear what Pseudonym/Craig does to prevent this issue on his iPhone, as he says it never happens to him.. Maybe he takes a leaf out of La Bomba's book, and only uses Landscape..?

Anyway, Pilou, thanks for that tip you put up for Bruce, I will try it next time. However right now, taking photos has a somewhat lower priority for me, as you know.

Anyway, Pilou, thanks for that tip you put up for Bruce, I will try it next time. However right now, taking photos has a somewhat lower priority for me, as you know.

Prends bien soin de toi mon cher ami.

Back
Top Bottom