Interesting perspective

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most famines are political ones, like the irish one, Ukraine one under Stalin, wars in Yemen, etc. And like Ireland, they were local, the world didnt run out of resources or even food.
We have tremendpus surplusses of foods. More than ever before in all history.

If most famines are political (which I doubt), it doesn't make the ones that aren't, insignificant.

You spin your BS about food surpluses all you want. In a global world there aren't surpluses in totality. Because a million children in Africa or any other 3rd world country haven't died, it certainly doesn't mean they've had enough to eat to be healthy.

Ted

DO get nack to us if you can show any resources we've run out of. Potatos in Ireland....jesus h.

Sr Ess. I ask you to go back and re-read the OP, part of which is cut and pasted below for convenience.

Your tone of "there's plenty of food" and "safe drinking water is available everywhere" smacks "then let them eat cake!"

I sincerely hope you are just a crotchety, contrarian, curmudgeon who will argue the color of the sky - a right fighter. For if you truly believe the drivel for which you produce no meaningful corroboration, well, that level of tone deafness would be unfortunate. Reminiscent of a guy who was born on 3rd base and thought he'd hit a triple.

Cut/paste from OP below. Thanks FF. In these bizarre times, it's helpful to pause and realize how fortunate I am to be able to pass time in what is, in comparison to many, a ridiculously selfish pastime of boats and internet.

Peter

77 have their own houses.

23 have no place to live.

Â

21 are over-nourished

63 can eat full meals.

15 are under-nourished

1 ate the last meal, but did not make it to the next meal.

Â

The daily cost of living for 48 is less than US$2.

DO get nack to us if you can show any resources we've run out of. Potatos in Ireland....jesus h.
Sr Ess - I assume by your posts that English may not be your first language. If you have trouble with the links provided describing famines and food shortages (National Geographic) and the list of six most critical shortages of natural resources (The Gaurdian), you may want to try reading in Chrome and installing the translate plug-in so you can read in whatever is your native tongue. The data is presented quite simply and I believe it would survive Google Translate reasonably in tact.

Peter

... :) ... all out of troll food.

I've run out also.

Every time you can't defend your posts, you need to change the subject. Keep waiting for you to start asking about my great grandfathers. I like a battle of wits, unfortunately you're proving to be an unarmed adversary.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. OC. Poor Mr. DE appears to be in the advanced stages of what I am experiencing. VERY short attention spans that....

iu

So Sr Ess lists Dominican Republic as his country - the eastern side of Hispaniola with Haiti on the western side. For a guy who claims the world is flush with food and water, he has chosen a particularly hapless place.

https://borgenproject.org/top-10-facts-about-hunger-in-haiti/

Cut/paste quote:

Haiti had the*lowest food availability*in the world. The*Dominican Republic*was the second lowest.

Roughly*50 percent*of Haiti’s population is undernourished.

Hunger in the Dominican Republic is perpetuated by natural disasters.*

Whatever happened to the overriding TF Rule "Be Nice"?
Being as kind as possible, might the persistent typos, and the "thoughts" depicted, suggest PUI?

Does that mean you dont have an example of any resource we've run out of......either? Nobody else has. Unless you agree with the guy who said its Irish potatos.

Does that mean you dont have an example of any resource we've run out of......either? Nobody else has. Unless you agree with the guy who said its Irish potatos.
Problem is you constantly setup false arguments. Run out of stuff? Not the issue. Shortages where it becomes highly disruptive and forces an alternative at significant cost and effort? Plenty have been cited - including Irish Potatoes, and rare earth metals, and water, and oil, and countless other goods and commodities. Add-in common sense which seems to be in woefully short supply with some folks. You're just too argumentative to acknowledge.

Tell us all about your boat David. Looks interesting in your Public Profile. Is it built of aluminum?

Do you by any chance run a Marine Mechanic business in Vanuatu?

Aluminum? I thought it was a Norwegian built steel commercial boat? Oh wait, now I remember, they didn't respond to his online button push, so it was a 64 foot electric catamaran that crossed the Atlantic with a a pair of 250 kw motors but only a 210kwh battery bank. He got agitated when no one could tell him the physical size of the batteries. I guess that builder didn't respond with specs either.

Now it's aluminum? Running out of options. Maybe ferrocement is next?

My professional trade for almost 20 years has been management consulting. I work in strategy and change - my phone rings when a company wants to pivot or when things go to hell. 5 years ago when oil went from $100/bbl to $20/bbl, my phone started ringing in Texas. I had been working on Wall Street since 2007 or so.

This year, many of the oil majors (especially European) have changed their strategy. Even with oil rebounding into the $40s, the majors are rebranding themselves as energy companies, not oil and gas. It's breathtaking - 2.5 years ago I worked on one of the largest asset acquisitions in the industry (in the Bakken). That has since been heavily written down.

There is no question the energy density of hydrocarbons will have a place in our world for a very, very long time. But the applications that require that energy density are quickly reducing. Many, not all of the majors have begun a long term pivot away from hydrocarbons. It's a complex industry with many facets and it will take a long time.

For leadership teams of many energy companies, the writing is in the wall. Whether it's dwindling reserves or dwindling demand or political headwinds, the days of unfettered use of hydrocarbons are numbered. The money is already shifting. Only the. Politicians are Saber rattling

Personally, my investment portfolio has $0 in hydrocarbons. No idea which way to play it.

Peter

Peter,

Good points. And, you're right, oil will be around for a LONG time. And there will be demand for a long time.... way beyond our lifetimes. Yes, I'm invested, but my situation is very unique so I'm hanging in there. Pumping has resumed, and there's a few more wells to be drilled and turned on. Just can't get away from it for years to come.

In my next lifetime, I'll probably not be in oil. For now... drill baby, drill.

Oh Man! I missed it? "I can kill this thread in three notes". I was just warming up my fingers and now this? You snooze you lose.

Here is a happy article related to global warming.

https://www.sciencealert.com/fatal-...orldwide-linked-to-climate-change-study-finds

one more for interesting reading. This could happen sooner than I thought. The Russians had a hydrogen plane in the 80's? My sense is that while it will be some time before oil is out of our transportation modes, this is all going to happen sooner than we think.

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/hyperion-xp-1-hydrogen-powered-ev-supercar-2941564/

The good news is that oil will make all those water bottles that we throw in the ocean, so no real problem to "see" there. Nestle sucks so much water out of the ground in Stanwood Michigan that the local lakes are dropping significantly. People are losing their wells and all of the water is free for Nestle to suck out and put into the wonderful plastic bottles.

Deforestation in the Amazon is raising atmospheric carbon, heating the arctic and it's permafrost, which then in turns releases the methane trapped under it creating more greenhouse gasses to raise the temperatures. I'm guessing the Polar Bears and the Coastal Dolphins really dig it.

Last edited:
Didn't see this coming :)
Well that hardly seems fair[emoji8]. I have been watching this 107 post train wreck for two days. I even went back and read some of this realatively new guys other posts. He has been playing ping pong with everyone. For the life of me I can't figure what one gets out of screwing around like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes back to the topic at hand.

I really have to thank FF for the OP. My wife and I have a nice home in St Pete Florida with great outdoor spaces, and we both work from home so have been able to modulate our lives to accommodate the pandemic. Frankly, we have survivors guilt. We have had some modest luck in life so have options that many right now do not. We've always felt just slightly above the 50% line and thankful for that . Reading FFs OP reminds me just how lucky we really are in the global scheme of thinking.

Thanks to all

Peter

The science is in, and it's pretty settled.

We're all going to die!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom