Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 04:58 PM   #101
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
With respect, the pain to the boating industry should not be compared to the pain of innocent civilians, women and children included, being blown up and murdered. This is not a military combat, but more like genocide. I'm not making a political statement, but let's get our priorities straight.
In no way was I comparing the two or minimizing the pain to those in Ukraine or their families. I resent any implication I did. You were the one who just said "Boating and trawlers are affected by world events. My opinion, is that they should be discussed as applicable to boating and can be done so w/o being political." So I did so and then get blasted by you for comparing it to the pain of innocent civilians.

I made it clear my post was only about boating. I don't personally care how high fuel prices go or what happens to megayacht builders by comparison to what I care about what happens to the people of the Ukraine. I hope we're all willing to sacrifice for our fellow man. I oppose military takeover of sovereign nations in all circumstances.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:30 PM   #102
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
One of the many consideration that the admin is juggling is destabilizing world oil markets, not just ours. They’ve been going to great pains to coordinate every move with our allies; we can’t just pretend we’re fortress America economically. What may be a political liability here (only 10 percent of our oil imports are from Russia and we can compensate) could hit other economies hard and potentially destabilize them politically. Like one of the commentators said today leadership often means making the least-bad choice. It doesn’t seem right to be thinking about global economics while Ukrainians are being savaged, but they must, at least, be considered. Personally, I hope our allies take the same stand the Germans did with Nord Stream and say “f**k ‘em.”
Old 03-04-2022, 05:55 PM   #103
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
One of the many consideration that the admin is juggling is destabilizing world oil markets, not just ours. They’ve been going to great pains to coordinate every move with our allies; we can’t just pretend we’re fortress America economically. What may be a political liability here (only 10 percent of our oil imports are from Russia and we can compensate) could hit other economies hard and potentially destabilize them politically. Like one of the commentators said today leadership often means making the least-bad choice. It doesn’t seem right to be thinking about global economics while Ukrainians are being savaged, but they must, at least, be considered. Personally, I hope our allies take the same stand the Germans did with Nord Stream and say “f**k ‘em.”
The Germans were dragged kicking and screaming to that decision. They didnt want to do it at all.
They were late to the party with any help for Ukraine.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:05 PM   #104
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
In no way was I comparing the two or minimizing the pain to those in Ukraine or their families. I resent any implication I did. You were the one who just said "Boating and trawlers are affected by world events. My opinion, is that they should be discussed as applicable to boating and can be done so w/o being political." So I did so and then get blasted by you for comparing it to the pain of innocent civilians.

I made it clear my post was only about boating. I don't personally care how high fuel prices go or what happens to megayacht builders by comparison to what I care about what happens to the people of the Ukraine. I hope we're all willing to sacrifice for our fellow man. I oppose military takeover of sovereign nations in all circumstances.
B, please accept my apology because I know that you are not of that mindset. I didn't mean to attack you personally. I am just frustrated at what is going on in the world and our unwillingness to do anything about it or even discuss it here. It's un-American to stand by and watch atrocities taking place and not taking any action on the side of good. I understand that we don't want to start WW3, but you can argue that Putin has already done that and the actions he has taken is not just against Ukraine, but also neighboring NATO countries. I think it may not be much longer that some military involvement happens like a no-fly zone. In the meantime, I still support banning import of anything Russian, including energy, even if I have to pay $50/gal to enjoy the luxury of boating.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:15 PM   #105
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
...I hope Putin isn’t suicidal and that he’s just following the Russian playbook—push until you meet intractable resistance and then plot your next push. The most hopeful part of this is the (nearly) uniform condemnation of his aggression by the west, backed up by actions that necessarily require avoiding a shooting war between NATO and Russia.
Ukraine cannot alone put up "intractable resistance". There has to be a time when The West says "Enough!". If not, the Russian push will go country by country. What is happening to Ukraine is horrible,it needs more than sanctions and ammunition.
Or just maybe:
Old 03-04-2022, 07:29 PM   #106
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Depending on what you read, Russia gives us anywhere from 3%-7% of our crude oil import. It's not like they give us 60% which is the Canadian contribution of our total. We can't ramp up production and call on others to cough up a little more to cover this tremendous loss?

NOTE: I am not an offshore, or onshore, oil driller nor have I played one on TV.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:36 PM   #107
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
It is absolutely horrendous. Like watching someone drown, and not helping. But the reality is Russia is a third world country, with first world Nukes. That statement is not directed at the Russian people, because their state run media will spin this accordingly and most have no idea what is going on. A scorched earth playbook and targeting civilians is nothing new for Putin, going back many decades in other countries including Chechnya and Syria. “Most” world leaders have had his number and knew what he was capable of. Enforcing a no fly zone means NATO and Russian aircraft are engaged. That is WW3 and no one gets out.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:41 PM   #108
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
Depending on what you read, Russia gives us anywhere from 3%-7% of our crude oil import. It's not like they give us 60% which is the Canadian contribution of our total. We can't ramp up production and call on others to cough up a little more to cover this tremendous loss?

NOTE: I am not an offshore, or onshore, oil driller nor have I played one on TV.
The percentage I heard quoted today was 4% but that would vary almost daily.
Remember that is percentage of imports; the amount of Russian oil as a percentage
of the total U.S. oil use is more like 1%. The U.S. is the largest crude producer worldwide.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:42 PM   #109
Guru

Coal prices have more than doubled in the past week, over $400 a ton now. China doesn`t buy buy(directly?) Australian coal,but others do increasingly, especially now. Perhaps Russia still has a special ready market for its coal, but,our coal producers shares(stock) are up 25% already, bonanza coming.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:43 PM   #110
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post

Neither Russia, Canada nor anyone else "gives" us any oil, we pay for it. Yes, we absolutely should ramp up production and there is talk that we will.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:27 PM   #111
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
With respect, the pain to the boating industry should not be compared to the pain of innocent civilians, women and children included, being blown up and murdered. This is not a military combat, but more like genocide. I'm not making a political statement, but let's get our priorities straight.
Cannot concur more.
Today I was listening to a news channel that was talking about war and casualties, then it went onto financial news with people complaining that their portfolios was melting because of the war... What a wonderful world we are living in.
Anyway, people won't change ever, whatever happens each one of us has his/her own values and priorities and for centuries it is the same while in different times and social circumstances.

L
Old 03-04-2022, 08:29 PM   #112
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Fun fact (maybe): https://www.cbsnews.com/news/putin-r...cht-sanctions/

Not sure it is true or not but if it is I find that very funny

I can imagine military aboard their ship nearby the yacht, what a feeling lol

L
Old 03-04-2022, 10:25 PM   #113

City: North Jersey & Plattsburgh NY
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Neither Russia, Canada nor anyone else "gives" us any oil, we pay for it.
Very true! I would also add that no matter what sleazy deals 'American' oil companies get around the world and in the US they will never sell the oil anywhere for one penny less than what the market will bear.

Ramping up oil production is okay in the short term but we also need to admit that like time, energy is precious and we are better off when we make the most of it.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:26 PM   #114

City: Toledo
I am heartened by the concern for the war in Ukraine the members have shown. I'm convinced it mirrors North American and world opinion as to the unjust nature of Putin's campaign and the lack of a definitive response from the west. Appropriately, it seems to transcend party lines as it is not political crisis but rather a humanitarian issue pulling at our hearts and minds. Hopefully secret plans are in the works, not yet privy to the western citizens, to topple the Russian regime and stop the madness.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:47 PM   #115
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
The Germans were dragged kicking and screaming to that decision. They didnt want to do it at all.
They were late to the party with any help for Ukraine.
Germany refused to certify Nord Stream when Russia recognized the two breakaway republics—before Russia actually invaded Ukraine. Of course they didn’t want to cancel a multibillion dollar energy deal that their economy was planned around. Think that was an easy decision? Maybe it is when you don’t have skin in the game.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:48 PM   #116
Swa

City: Tampa
Lots of politics here. That's ok This is a great thread. Moderators please consider keeping this going without your audit. This is a very life changing topic that has great implications in all our lives. Were all concerned adults and capable of handling a few curveballs. Let this go This forum is a great group of people that try to help one another. Were all pretty stressed along with every one else that's been paying attention. I don't follow many other forums etc. Just sort through the news and try to make sense like everyone else. This is a topic concerning our passions Trawlers, cruising, fuel... Living... Lives We have all been threatened. Nobody is cruising anywhere if we all die in a nuclear war. As for others that want to block it all out just click the back button. I get it. Stressful stuff. Politics, religion etc. it doesn't matter. Its all involved. If you get insulted... so what! Its not cancer Being insulted wont do anything to you
My 2 cents
Old 03-04-2022, 10:48 PM   #117
Guru

I recall that when oil prices went berserk US shale oil production became economic, lowering prices until it became uneconomic again and was suspended. And repeat. Is that happening?
I don`t see the discussion as overtly political, but views will differ on the response of the West, and the likely repercussions.
We can avoid all out war by gradually letting Russia and its allies annex other countries by force until they control all the countries they want. Ask yourself,do they want "your country"? If "yes",are you ok with that, to avoid war?
Old 03-04-2022, 11:19 PM   #118
Guru

Quote:
Germany refused to certify Nord Stream when Russia recognized the two breakaway republics—before Russia actually invaded Ukraine. Of course they didn’t want to cancel a multibillion dollar energy deal that their economy was planned around. Think that was an easy decision? Maybe it is when you don’t have skin in the game.
But in the end they did, didnt they? They were stupid to make a deal with the Devil, but having figured out that the green way wasnt going to cut it for them, they had to get gas from somewhere, and they ended up with egg on their face, and then belatedly came around.
Not sure what you mean by not having skin in the game, but to some extent we all do, whats going on there affects the whole world in one way or another.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:14 AM   #119
Guru

One Opinion on a Ukraine NFZ

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-...iner/100885236
Old 03-05-2022, 03:39 AM   #120
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Fighter jets flying over southern Sweden / Öresund this morning.

This is something we rarely see. Typically only the annual "Christmas Tree formation" exercise...