I am surprised(and nothing related to trawlers)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the fire is out at the nuke plant, thank goodness! Hopefully whoever controls it for now will keep it from blowing up, sure dont need another Chernobyl.
Without hopefully getting sent to mind reeducation camp again so soon, I would only say I hope at some point that everyone stops buying oil from Russia.
If they dont its all for naught. Just spittin in the wind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread warning!

Thread Warning!

Several posts have been deleted for discussing politics. Please stay on thread please in order to prevent this thread from being closed. Thank you for your understanding.
Trawler Forum Site Team

Boating and trawlers are affected by world events. My opinion, is that they should be discussed as applicable to boating and can be done so w/o being political. I know it's a tightrope and I've learned here the hard way to avoid political slants. But why can't we talk about the fact that diesel futures jumped by 50% the other day and how that affects us without arguing about political opinions around it? I just mentioned in another thread how the recent world events coupled with the huge jump in fuel prices will likely keep new buyers away from the boating market. I was careful not to get political about it and it can be done.

Last edited:
I understand the fire is out at the nuke plant, thank goodness! Hopefully whoever controls it for now will keep it from blowing up, sure dont need another Chernobyl.
Without hopefully getting sent to mind reeducation camp again so soon, I would only say I hope at some point that our "illustrious" CiC and everyone else over there stops buying oil from Russia.
If they dont its all for naught. Just spittin in the wind.

I hope the U.S. will also boycott Russian oil regardless of what that means in regards to inflation and fuel prices. Americans are often willing to make personal sacrafices for a just cause.

I hope the U.S. will also boycott Russian oil regardless of what that means in regards to inflation and fuel prices. Americans are often willing to make personal sacrafices for a just cause.

I agree with you but would like to see effects on the global economy minimized. The White House is considering a ban at this moment.

Fareed Zakaria has an excellent column on this in today’s Washington Post. He’s convinced it’s the one sure way to stop Putin. To minimize impacts, it would take time to ramp up production in the US — currently the world’s largest oil producer — Canada and other nations and so far OPEC’s not cooperating. The country I grew up in was willing to make sacrifices; not so sure about present-day America.

Let's talk boating a moment. At the upper level it's already seen an impact and this is just one week end. I received emails from 5 different brokers who are pushing megayachts at tens of millions of dollars discount. Yards are offering partially built boats at huge discounts. I don't even know anyone who is a potential buyer for 400-600' yachts and I know some wealthy people but the point is they are nothing like the wealthiest. A megamansion in Los Angeles was auctioned with an asking price of $295 million and sold for only $126 million plus commission. It's lower price was directly attributed to a lot of persons who looked including Russian buyers and representatives but then didn't attend the auction.

So, what does this mean to average persons like all of us here? It means very simply that there will be economic repercussions. We've long depended on Russian and Chinese money to bail us out of situations. Major hotel can't make it, Russian Oligarch steps in. Brooklyn Nets needed bailing out and Russian Oligarch bought them, then next buyer was Chinese Multibillionaire. There will be Turkish boatyards that go out of business. I know one yard and one builder that has long been borderline and they are Russian owned and I look for them to fold.

Even look at upper end stores in many areas of Europe and they sell a significant amount to these Russian families.

We don't know all the businesses potentially in trouble. Now, I'm willing to accept any and all financial cost the world incurs versus the human costs that are being faced in Ukraine. Let's just not think there will not be major economic impact and impact to the boating industry.

B&B:

Agreed.

I am old enough to remember when it was the Japanese in the 1980's. They bought up a lot of Hawaii and west coast properties. We were all coached to study how invincible they were in business. Then a decade later, it was Germans who came and bought a lot of farmland where I grew up. Things do change, and the change does create some dislocations, often messy. But this too shall pass.

I had to educate some younger friends lately that Absolut vodka became popular only because of an unoffical boycott of Russian vodka. I think many or most Americans are prepared to forego Russian vodka and cheap fuel, it it helps thwart the Russian invasion. The President should deliver that message rather than saying he wants to minimize the pain on us by not sanctioning Russian oil. We can bear the pain knowing the pain on Russia is worse. Yes there are impacts, shot and longer term and nobody knows where this may go. I was talking to a car salesman today and he has basically zero inventory. But what worries him most is not Ukraine but Taiwan. He say that if they get invaded by China, there will be no cars anywhere for quite some time. People need to get their heads out of the sand and start thinking about the future, not just tomorrow.

I'm not discussing politics and I don't want to make any more sacrifices. Does anyone know where to find a good USA made locking gas cap?

Let's just not think there will not be major economic impact and impact to the boating industry.

With respect, the pain to the boating industry should not be compared to the pain of innocent civilians, women and children included, being blown up and murdered. This is not a military combat, but more like genocide. I'm not making a political statement, but let's get our priorities straight.

With respect, the pain to the boating industry should not be compared to the pain of innocent civilians, women and children included, being blown up and murdered. This is not a military combat, but more like genocide. I'm not making a political statement, but let's get our priorities straight.

In no way was I comparing the two or minimizing the pain to those in Ukraine or their families. I resent any implication I did. You were the one who just said "Boating and trawlers are affected by world events. My opinion, is that they should be discussed as applicable to boating and can be done so w/o being political." So I did so and then get blasted by you for comparing it to the pain of innocent civilians.

I made it clear my post was only about boating. I don't personally care how high fuel prices go or what happens to megayacht builders by comparison to what I care about what happens to the people of the Ukraine. I hope we're all willing to sacrifice for our fellow man. I oppose military takeover of sovereign nations in all circumstances.

One of the many consideration that the admin is juggling is destabilizing world oil markets, not just ours. They’ve been going to great pains to coordinate every move with our allies; we can’t just pretend we’re fortress America economically. What may be a political liability here (only 10 percent of our oil imports are from Russia and we can compensate) could hit other economies hard and potentially destabilize them politically. Like one of the commentators said today leadership often means making the least-bad choice. It doesn’t seem right to be thinking about global economics while Ukrainians are being savaged, but they must, at least, be considered. Personally, I hope our allies take the same stand the Germans did with Nord Stream and say “f**k ‘em.”

One of the many consideration that the admin is juggling is destabilizing world oil markets, not just ours. They’ve been going to great pains to coordinate every move with our allies; we can’t just pretend we’re fortress America economically. What may be a political liability here (only 10 percent of our oil imports are from Russia and we can compensate) could hit other economies hard and potentially destabilize them politically. Like one of the commentators said today leadership often means making the least-bad choice. It doesn’t seem right to be thinking about global economics while Ukrainians are being savaged, but they must, at least, be considered. Personally, I hope our allies take the same stand the Germans did with Nord Stream and say “f**k ‘em.”

The Germans were dragged kicking and screaming to that decision. They didnt want to do it at all.
They were late to the party with any help for Ukraine.

In no way was I comparing the two or minimizing the pain to those in Ukraine or their families. I resent any implication I did. You were the one who just said "Boating and trawlers are affected by world events. My opinion, is that they should be discussed as applicable to boating and can be done so w/o being political." So I did so and then get blasted by you for comparing it to the pain of innocent civilians.

I made it clear my post was only about boating. I don't personally care how high fuel prices go or what happens to megayacht builders by comparison to what I care about what happens to the people of the Ukraine. I hope we're all willing to sacrifice for our fellow man. I oppose military takeover of sovereign nations in all circumstances.

B, please accept my apology because I know that you are not of that mindset. I didn't mean to attack you personally. I am just frustrated at what is going on in the world and our unwillingness to do anything about it or even discuss it here. It's un-American to stand by and watch atrocities taking place and not taking any action on the side of good. I understand that we don't want to start WW3, but you can argue that Putin has already done that and the actions he has taken is not just against Ukraine, but also neighboring NATO countries. I think it may not be much longer that some military involvement happens like a no-fly zone. In the meantime, I still support banning import of anything Russian, including energy, even if I have to pay $50/gal to enjoy the luxury of boating.

...I hope Putin isn’t suicidal and that he’s just following the Russian playbook—push until you meet intractable resistance and then plot your next push. The most hopeful part of this is the (nearly) uniform condemnation of his aggression by the west, backed up by actions that necessarily require avoiding a shooting war between NATO and Russia.
Ukraine cannot alone put up "intractable resistance". There has to be a time when The West says "Enough!". If not, the Russian push will go country by country. What is happening to Ukraine is horrible,it needs more than sanctions and ammunition.
Or just maybe:
image-20220302094453-1.png

Last edited:
Depending on what you read, Russia gives us anywhere from 3%-7% of our crude oil import. It's not like they give us 60% which is the Canadian contribution of our total. We can't ramp up production and call on others to cough up a little more to cover this tremendous loss?

NOTE: I am not an offshore, or onshore, oil driller nor have I played one on TV.

It is absolutely horrendous. Like watching someone drown, and not helping. But the reality is Russia is a third world country, with first world Nukes. That statement is not directed at the Russian people, because their state run media will spin this accordingly and most have no idea what is going on. A scorched earth playbook and targeting civilians is nothing new for Putin, going back many decades in other countries including Chechnya and Syria. “Most” world leaders have had his number and knew what he was capable of. Enforcing a no fly zone means NATO and Russian aircraft are engaged. That is WW3 and no one gets out.

Depending on what you read, Russia gives us anywhere from 3%-7% of our crude oil import. It's not like they give us 60% which is the Canadian contribution of our total. We can't ramp up production and call on others to cough up a little more to cover this tremendous loss?

NOTE: I am not an offshore, or onshore, oil driller nor have I played one on TV.
The percentage I heard quoted today was 4% but that would vary almost daily.
Remember that is percentage of imports; the amount of Russian oil as a percentage
of the total U.S. oil use is more like 1%. The U.S. is the largest crude producer worldwide.

Last edited:
Coal prices have more than doubled in the past week, over $400 a ton now. China doesn`t buy buy(directly?) Australian coal,but others do increasingly, especially now. Perhaps Russia still has a special ready market for its coal, but,our coal producers shares(stock) are up 25% already, bonanza coming.

Neither Russia, Canada nor anyone else "gives" us any oil, we pay for it. Yes, we absolutely should ramp up production and there is talk that we will.

Cannot concur more.
Today I was listening to a news channel that was talking about war and casualties, then it went onto financial news with people complaining that their portfolios was melting because of the war... What a wonderful world we are living in.
Anyway, people won't change ever, whatever happens each one of us has his/her own values and priorities and for centuries it is the same while in different times and social circumstances.

L

Neither Russia, Canada nor anyone else "gives" us any oil, we pay for it.

Very true! I would also add that no matter what sleazy deals 'American' oil companies get around the world and in the US they will never sell the oil anywhere for one penny less than what the market will bear.

Ramping up oil production is okay in the short term but we also need to admit that like time, energy is precious and we are better off when we make the most of it.

I am heartened by the concern for the war in Ukraine the members have shown. I'm convinced it mirrors North American and world opinion as to the unjust nature of Putin's campaign and the lack of a definitive response from the west. Appropriately, it seems to transcend party lines as it is not political crisis but rather a humanitarian issue pulling at our hearts and minds. Hopefully secret plans are in the works, not yet privy to the western citizens, to topple the Russian regime and stop the madness.

The Germans were dragged kicking and screaming to that decision. They didnt want to do it at all.
They were late to the party with any help for Ukraine.

Germany refused to certify Nord Stream when Russia recognized the two breakaway republics—before Russia actually invaded Ukraine. Of course they didn’t want to cancel a multibillion dollar energy deal that their economy was planned around. Think that was an easy decision? Maybe it is when you don’t have skin in the game.

Lots of politics here. That's ok This is a great thread. Moderators please consider keeping this going without your audit. This is a very life changing topic that has great implications in all our lives. Were all concerned adults and capable of handling a few curveballs. Let this go This forum is a great group of people that try to help one another. Were all pretty stressed along with every one else that's been paying attention. I don't follow many other forums etc. Just sort through the news and try to make sense like everyone else. This is a topic concerning our passions Trawlers, cruising, fuel... Living... Lives We have all been threatened. Nobody is cruising anywhere if we all die in a nuclear war. As for others that want to block it all out just click the back button. I get it. Stressful stuff. Politics, religion etc. it doesn't matter. Its all involved. If you get insulted... so what! Its not cancer Being insulted wont do anything to you:)
My 2 cents

I recall that when oil prices went berserk US shale oil production became economic, lowering prices until it became uneconomic again and was suspended. And repeat. Is that happening?
I don`t see the discussion as overtly political, but views will differ on the response of the West, and the likely repercussions.
We can avoid all out war by gradually letting Russia and its allies annex other countries by force until they control all the countries they want. Ask yourself,do they want "your country"? If "yes",are you ok with that, to avoid war?

Last edited:
Germany refused to certify Nord Stream when Russia recognized the two breakaway republics—before Russia actually invaded Ukraine. Of course they didn’t want to cancel a multibillion dollar energy deal that their economy was planned around. Think that was an easy decision? Maybe it is when you don’t have skin in the game.
But in the end they did, didnt they? They were stupid to make a deal with the Devil, but having figured out that the green way wasnt going to cut it for them, they had to get gas from somewhere, and they ended up with egg on their face, and then belatedly came around.
Not sure what you mean by not having skin in the game, but to some extent we all do, whats going on there affects the whole world in one way or another.

Fighter jets flying over southern Sweden / Öresund this morning.

This is something we rarely see. Typically only the annual "Christmas Tree formation" exercise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom