Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 08:57 PM   #61
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
The world needs a Churchill right now, but the closest we've got so far is Zelensky and he's too busy fighting for his country's survival.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:06 PM   #62
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

...What he does not appear to grasp is that those he wants to unite, don't want to be, so he runs a high risk of leaving a legacy he did not intend to leave. That of being mentioned in the same breath as Hitler. Not what he envisaged at all. If he realises this - he might just back off..?
Replacing the italicized underlined words with "accept" may better reflect the Putin approach. Resort to nukes is more likely than Russia slinking away, tail between legs,defeated. Hope I`m wrong.
Update edit: 2 Russian oligarchs have called for an end to the war. Dare we hope cracks are emerging?
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/28/b...ska/index.html
Old 03-01-2022, 11:39 PM   #63
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Not sure of the veracity of this latest, but it has just popped up in Aussie media that the puppet president of Belarus has slipped up and divulged a secret, that the intent is to also annex Moldova as well. This would fit with the desire he clearly has to try and reassemble the old Soviet. This may just be rumour, but would be no real surprise if true.

From our local Queensland Courier Mail just now...
PLANS TO INVADE MOLDOVA LEAKED
The President of Belarus appears to have accidentally revealed top-secret plans to invade a new country.

Alexander Lukashenko – a close ally of Vladimir Putin — fronted security officials in a live TV broadcast while positioned in front of a battle map that seemingly indicates a planned Russian operation into Moldova.

The map included Russian lines of attack into Ukraine – some of which have already come to pass – and also outlined attacks which have not yet occurred.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...1&overallPos=9
Old 03-02-2022, 01:38 AM   #64
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1 View Post
I come here for trawlers.
We don't need politics argued here.
I see so many friendships and forums ruined because of political fighting on forums.
We don't need it here. I suggest those that want to argue about world politics, go join a forum where that is welcomed. Like twitter!
Hi,

yes this brutal war affects us all trawlers, whether you like it or not.

The price of oil will affect your boating and more broadly rising inflation.

The entire world economy is going to get mixed up and it will also affect more of us in many ways, so politics and Trawler will merge in the coming years only in a negative and bad scenario the whole world will be polluted by radiation and destruction on all continents.

We have 1340 kilometers of common border with Russia here, we have experience when Russia attacked Finland in the same way on November 30,11.1939 without warning. with great man and equipment superiority.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War

You are right in that politics should not be discussed here, because it is pointless to speculate.

Your US is impossible to try to understand the logic of the Russians, NATO does not scare Putin and it seems that he wants his name in history.

Finland received a direct threat with the same idea as Ukraine, we have been part of Russia's history and if his intention is to get the old territories back, then the future is not bright here either.

Hopefully we can get the boats of the 2022 season in the Baltic Sea that it has not turned into a war field with sea mines.

NBs
Old 03-02-2022, 01:46 AM   #65
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
Hi,

yes this brutal war affects us all trawlers, whether you like it or not.

The price of oil will affect your boating and more broadly rising inflation.

You are right in that politics should not be discussed here, because it is pointless to speculate.

Your US is impossible to try to understand the logic of the Russians, NATO does not scare Putin and it seems that he wants his name in history.

Finland received a direct threat with the same idea as Ukraine, we have been part of Russia's history and if his intention is to get the old territories back, then the future is not bright here either.

Hopefully we can get the boats of the 2022 season in the Baltic Sea that it has not turned into a war field with sea mines.

NBs
With all due respect, Baltic, there is a difference between politics, and major world events which are actual, and factual, and a threat to us all. That is why, for now, we are letting this thread run. Because most are being very responsible in the tone of their posts, and keeping it largely factual, rather than philosophical, which is typical of political posts.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:57 AM   #66
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mer View Post
Since last weekend Putin is not in Kremlin of Moscow anymore

As the Russian safety procedures require in nuclear scenario he has been evacuated to the presidential underground operations and communications center , a secure bunker-shelter located in Altai republic in western Siberia ; Not a good news for peace
Hi,

this bunker is more, it is a nuclear-resistant small "city" with its services. According to information, he and his friends, as well as key individuals, moved to safety from any attack. This person does not shy away from any means.

NBs
Old 03-02-2022, 06:32 PM   #67
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
I agree. Unless Putin or Russia cries uncle and goes home -- and I see no sign of that -- at some point we (that is, the "West") will have to do more. Cutting up their credit cards and barring them from the World Cup becomes laughable when you're bombing apartment buildings and destroying a civilian population, as if you're on some Roman conquest. The "Greatest Generation" didn't allow this kind of thing, and at some point we, their descendants, can't either. There is no nice, clean, antiseptic, risk-free, remote solution to barbarity.
Not so laughable.
The goal behind sanctions is to get the people feel it so to wake up.
Julius Caesar said give people games and wine and they are happy.

Now cut games, wine etc and maybe (maybe) people will get mad enough or fedup enough to kick poutine out.
Revolution always comes from the inside and because people get fedup of seeing the king wearing gold while they barely have anything to eat.

L
Old 03-02-2022, 06:46 PM   #68
Guru

City: Vermont
What's needed at this point is a face-saving exit for Putin. It's all about egos and dick size at this point. But I can't image what that exit would be. So getting him kicked out from inside of Russia seems a plausible alternative if enough pressure can be placed on financial interests, and that's what's being done. Otherwise he needs to be kicked out from outside Russia and that will likely be a very violent and prolonged effort.

Modern warfare is economic, not violent. Putin just never got the memo.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:19 PM   #69
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
While a non-binding resolution, U.N. General Assembly in historic vote denounces Russia over Ukraine invasion

• In support of the resolution - 141 countries
  • Against the resolution - 5 countries (Russia, Belarus, Eritrea, North Korea and Syria)
  • Abstained - 35 countries including China
Jim
Old 03-02-2022, 08:46 PM   #70
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Oh, well that's an encouraging relief, a UN resolution. I'm sure that's make Valdimir tremble in his bunker and order a withdrawal. That'll make the Ukrainians feel better as the rockets rain down on their apartment buildings.

Unfortunately I think TwistedTree is wrong, modern warfare is still violent and deadly and dangerous - just more efficiently violent. There's no clean, antiseptic, risk free response to barbarity, and I can't think of a single nation in the modern age bent on military conquest whose course was changed through sanctions or external economic or political pressure. If that were possible or effective, North Koreans wouldn't be eating grass and starving to death since what, about 1954?
Old 03-02-2022, 08:56 PM   #71
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Quote:
Oh, well that's an encouraging relief, a UN resolution. I'm sure that's make Valdimir tremble in his bunker and order a withdrawal. That'll make the Ukrainians feel better as the rockets rain down on their apartment buildings.
Thank you for your extremely helpful insight into my post!

Jim
Old 03-03-2022, 05:29 AM   #72
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Apparently the city of Kherson along the Black Sea has fallen to the Russians.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:00 PM   #73
Guru

Quote:

Unfortunately I think TwistedTree is wrong, modern warfare is still violent and deadly and dangerous - just more efficiently violent. There's no clean, antiseptic, risk free response to barbarity, and I can't think of a single nation in the modern age bent on military conquest whose course was changed through sanctions or external economic or political pressure. If that were possible or effective, North Koreans wouldn't be eating grass and starving to death since what, about 1954?

I should have said that in a civilized society, warfare is economic, not violent. I agree there is still a lot of uncivilized society, but I had hoped Eastern Europe was past that. Clearly not.

One way or another this can’t be allowed. I hope economic actions can have the desired effect, and hope American and other lives can be spared entanglement in this barbaric action from Russia.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:26 PM   #74
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
The Chinese have been "invading" countries for decades and quite successfully I might add. They're in it for the long haul. Might take 25 or 75 years but eventually they'll be in control.

"We're your friends. Let us build you new highways and improve your infrastructure. Oh, and by the way....You owe us now!"

Groucho once asked a young lady..."Would you go to bed with me for $25?" She replied "Certainly not. What do you think I am?" Groucho replied "I know what you are I just want to know your price"
Old 03-03-2022, 06:27 PM   #75
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
We need to remind ourselves the Russian forces bombing rocketing and shelling Ukraine and killing its citizens are Putin`s "peace keepers". Goodness, that feels better!
Old 03-03-2022, 06:48 PM   #76
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post

Groucho once asked a young lady..."Would you go to bed with me for $25?" She replied "Certainly not. What do you think I am?" Groucho replied "I know what you are I just want to know your price"
Rufus!!!!
You blew the set-up. He asks if she would do it for a thousand (1936 dollars, adjust for inflation) and she agrees...

P.S. Do you know the secret of comedy?
Old 03-03-2022, 06:50 PM   #77
Guru

Old 03-03-2022, 06:51 PM   #78
Guru

Timing.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:12 PM   #79
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Apparently our friends decided to bomb nuclear plant in Enerhodar.
Just hope there will not be another tchernobil, one has been enough.

L
Old 03-03-2022, 07:33 PM   #80
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
The Chinese have been "invading" countries for decades and quite successfully I might add. They're in it for the long haul. Might take 25 or 75 years but eventually they'll be in control.

"We're your friends. Let us build you new highways and improve your infrastructure. Oh, and by the way....You owe us now!"

One of the best TV lines I have heard was from Madam Secretary, where Tea Leone is the secretary of state and single-handedly solves all world crises. From the Chinese ambassador to Madam Secretary, "we won't invade, we will simply foreclose".