Old 01-28-2022, 02:56 PM   #41
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Ironic or tragic, but I can't see the humor.

Yes, it was a sarcastic reply to the poster who feels that Jim Fixx's death while running is somehow karma because he promoted a healthy lifestyle. I'm not sure he knows what karma really means.

I should have used the sarcasm font, sorry about that.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:53 AM   #42
FF
Guru

I'm at a place in my life where errands are starting to count as going out.Â
Â

I'm getting tired of being part of a major historical event.Â
Â

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do, it's because I missed my exit.Â
Â

My goal for 2021 was to lose 10 pounds. Only have 14 to go.Â
Â

Ate salad for dinner. Mostly croutons and tomatoes. Really just one big round crouton covered with tomato sauce and cheese. FINE, it was a pizza.... OK!
Â

I just did a week's worth of cardio after walking into a spider web.Â
Â

I don't mean to brag, but I finished my 14-day diet food supply in 3 hours and 20 minutes.Â
Â

A recent study has found women who carry a little extra weight live longer than men who mention it.Â
Â

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.Â
Â

Senility has been a smooth transition for me.Â
Â

Remember back when we were kids and every time it was below freezing outside they closed school? Yeah, me neither.Â
Â

I may not be that funny or athletic or good looking or smart or talented. I forgot where I was going with this.
Â

I love being 80, I learn something new every day and forget 5 other things.Â
Â

A thief broke into my house last night. He started searching for money so I got up and searched with him.Â
Â

I think I'll just put an "Out of Order" sticker on my forehead and call it a day.Â
Â

Just remember, once you're over the hill, you begin to pick up speed.Â
Â

Having plans sounds like a good idea until you have to put on clothes and leave the house.Â
Â

It's weird being the same age as old people.Â
Â

When I was a kid I wanted to be older . . this is not what I expected.
Â

It's probably my age that tricks people into thinking I'm an adult.Â
Â

Marriage Counselor: Your wife says you never buy her flowers. Is that true? Me: To be honest, I never knew she sold flowers.Â
Â

I see people about my age mountain climbing; I feel good getting my leg through my underwear without losing my balance.Â
Â

So if a cow doesn't produce milk, is it a milk dud or an udder failure?Â
Â

Coronacoaster: noun; the ups and downs of a pandemic.
Â

I'm at that age where my mind still thinks I'm 29, my humor suggests I'm 12, while my body mostly keeps asking if I'm sure I'm not dead yet Â
Â

You don't realize how old you are until you sit on the floor and then try to get back up.Â
Â

We all get heavier as we get older, because there's a lot more information in our heads. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

If you can't think of a word say, “I forgot the English word for it.â€Â That way people will think you're bilingual instead of an idiot.

Â

--

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 05:47 PM   #43
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
My experience exceeds expectations mostly because I had no expectation I would live to be 78!

But considering the actualities, old age isn't as hard as I expected. I haven't forgotten anything, but remembering any of it clearly takes longer. Pauses in conversation while I rummage through my cerebral Rolodex for the name or date.

I am more easily diverted; start a task and interrupt for another because I thought about it.

Physically, I'm doing great. No longer chop wood; recently decided single-handing my trawler wasn't the best idea, but no real infirmities; I can walk farther than my labrador is willing to go. Have given up skiing because I am no longer willing to break long bones.

They say that in old age, every minute should be treasured...but I'm still more than happy to piss time away unproductively.

Genetically, I can't explain my current life; I've outlived my father's "pull date" and while my mother lived to 94, her last two decades were pretty joyless.

I believe one very big factor in the quality of my "golden years" has been my daughter who is now 23 (you do the math) and has truly has given me "new life."
Attached Thumbnails
liv2.jpg  
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:35 PM   #44
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Going to miss you up north, Bill. Great shot of your daughter.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:58 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Going to miss you up north, Bill.
Not as bad as it seems, many of the places we enjoyed in BC are accessible by other means:

2022 Toyota: $31,000
MV Coho to Victoria: $91
buttery croissant at Barb's Buns in Ganges: priceless

...and, of course, this means more Giants games.

Quote:
Great shot of your daughter.
Thanks, one of many:
Attached Thumbnails
liv-helm.jpg  
Old 01-29-2022, 07:28 PM   #46
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Memory is the second thing to go.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:20 PM   #47

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (Home at last )
As I was approaching 70, I had no real plan to retire. Then my wife of forty years died very unexpectedly, turning my life upside down. I had an eighteen foot cuddly cabin in storage because I was too busy to enjoy it. Boating was not in my future or even in my dreams.

A chance reconnection with someone I had been close to before we went our separate ways led to a brand new life. We were aboard her brother’s boat in the Sea of Cortez when I proposed. She was living in another state in a community with its own marina. She had owned an eighteen foot boat similar to mine but didn’t enjoy boating by herself. I closed my practice, retired and moved to La Conner, Washington where we were married.

The day we returned from our honeymoon, we found the Bayliner 3288 that was going to be the only boat we would ever need. It was perfect for us, that is, until an automobile accident cost my wife most of her right hand. The Bayliner would no longer work for us so we started looking for a boat better suited to her new limitations.

We sold the old boat (to a couple in their mid eighties) and ordered a new Helmsman 38E pilot house trawler which is scheduled for delivery in the late spring.

Life at 77 is beyond anything I could have imagined even in my fifties.
Doug_Snider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:48 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post

Life at 77 is beyond anything I could have imagined even in my fifties.

Congratulations.

"Life is what happens while you're making other plans."
John Lennon
Old 01-30-2022, 12:13 AM   #49
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Memory is the second thing to go.
Of course it is, what was the first?
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:26 AM   #50
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Hmmm, Sorry I forgot…
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:46 PM   #51
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Hubby B: Under duress and coerced by the woman laying beside me.
I think you mean lying unless you guys are swingers. LOL. Sorry too easy and couldn't resist! My apologies, carry on.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:03 PM   #52

City: Florida
How does getting older compare to expectations?

It happened a lot faster than I expected it to!
MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 01:06 PM   #53
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mer View Post
Our mutual friends you met last October told me that in their view you both were in your fifties ; Don’t change your habit 👍 , Keep Up !

Oh! They are so kind!
Old 01-31-2022, 01:08 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Oh! They are so kind!
Or their eyesight is getting worse!
Old 01-31-2022, 01:11 PM   #55

City: Minneapolis MN
Vessel Name: Glider
Vessel Model: 34ft Mainship trawler
Reminds me of a time on active duty in California, on the weekend nothing to do so I decided to walk the docks at a local marina. Came upon an older gentleman doing some sanding on his old wooden sailboat. I stopped and complimented on what a beautiful boat he had. He told me that he had been living on her for the past 45 years. He was shaking his head and saying always something to do on an old wooden boat. Then paused and said " I would have died peacefully years ago if it weren't for the stubborn old bitch." He was 88 years old. Got to love his moxy.
ttompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 01:20 PM   #56
Guru

I'm tempted to relate my own experiences been then think, who really cares? We all have unique stories and experiences and what happens to one person has nothing to do with what will happen to another (in general). So I could go on about my life and things I would have changed, but does it really matter? Nobody will or should change their lives based on what I've done and how it worked out, so I think I'll sit this one out. I think this sums it up for me:

"Youth is wasted on young people"
Old 01-31-2022, 01:20 PM   #57
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Health declines are generally not linear but more like shelves with some form of acute exacerbation leading to the next shelf.

This is an interesting observation / analogy. When I look what my grandmother went through making it to 99, I can recall the "shelves" clearly. Same with my father, who made it as far as 97 (after managing to renew his FL driver's license at 94, just before he went blind). An amazing side note to this, at least in my opinion, is that both of them died with VALID licenses! I can remember my grandmother telling me she got her first license from Sears & Roebuck...
Old 01-31-2022, 01:23 PM   #58

City: Portland
At 76, I have come up to some existential questions that have yet to appear in this discussion. When should I quit driving? When should I stop cruising alone? Or sell the boat? Should wait for an accident to tell you you’ve waited too long?
I expect that significant others will have opinions, but I expect I’ll have to make most of these myself. An then there is that garage full of boat stuff…
dennisspain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 01:59 PM   #59
Veteran Member

City: Cary
Vessel Name: None
Vessel Model: None
As that great American Philosopher, Toby Keith says, "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
HypnoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:25 PM   #60
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I think you mean lying unless you guys are swingers. LOL. Sorry too easy and couldn't resist! My apologies, carry on.
Yes, I just got a lesson in intransitive vs. transitive. Wifey B better educated than I am. lol
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote