Old 09-22-2019, 10:10 PM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: I wish we had a professional football team in South Florida.

They're doing the Tua Tank.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #42
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Lost interest in football when Stabler and company left/retired from the Oakland Raiders.

No love for the Jim Plunkett era and 2 Superbowl wins?
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #43
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Lost interest in football when Stabler and company left/retired from the Oakland Raiders.
Those were the days, Mark. Raiders with Kenny in the lead populating the Spangers bar until way into the wee hours Saturday night and showing up Sunday to kick tail.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:53 PM   #44

City: Rye
I am new here.... so I won't get too deep into the Kaepernick fuss. Enough to say I served (21 yrs) during that time I may or may not have liked who was my commander in chief during my service, But I respected the office. Therefore I abided by his orders and did my duty.

Kap could have done the same and abided by the protocol of standing for our anthem, Then he could have stayed in the NFL and used his position to state his cause much louder and more often (every Sunday) in post game interviews just by wearing a tee shirt for his causes as an example. He spilt his team, cause dissention in the rank and file membership of the league, alienated fans and angered sponsors and he and his causes are no better off today then they were before he took a stand.

That said I am glad that he has the right to free speech.

As for Football...…. 6 rings baby......Born in NE and will die in NE.
LaserJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserJock View Post
I am new here.... so I won't get too deep into the Kaepernick fuss. Enough to say I served (21 yrs) during that time I may or may not have liked who was my commander in chief during my service, But I respected the office. Therefore I abided by his orders and did my duty.

Kap could have done the same and abided by the protocol of standing for our anthem, Then he could have stayed in the NFL and used his position to state his cause much louder and more often (every Sunday) in post game interviews just by wearing a tee shirt for his causes as an example. He spilt his team, cause dissention in the rank and file membership of the league, alienated fans and angered sponsors and he and his causes are no better off today then they were before he took a stand.

That said I am glad that he has the right to free speech.

As for Football...…. 6 rings baby......Born in NE and will die in NE.
Wifey B: Do you like getting sex in Asian Massage Parlors or is that just your team owner?
Old 09-23-2019, 04:16 PM   #46
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Do you like getting sex in Asian Massage Parlors or is that just your team owner?
He said he served 21 years so I suspect that he has been around...
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
He said he served 21 years so I suspect that he has been around...
Wifey B: Same team that just signed Antonio Brown for one game too.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #48
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
LaserJock, been there done that, some CiC you grinned and bore it, some had are backs.
K got his 15 min of fame and more money than most people could ever imagine.
I hope now he can get on with life. If he wants to take a knee visit Arlington.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #49
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I truly do appreciate the NFL! Nothing clears the AICW on a Sunday like the NFL. Corporation Washington playing corporation Philadelphia, etc. Saw this in the grocery store the other day and wonder how brainwashed you had to be to pay extra for chips with you team logo.

Attachment 93800

The absolute best boating day of the year is super bowl Sunday. On the East coast, it's a night game and the possessed masses can't even think straight enough in the morning to go boating. I never really appreciated the NFL till I boated on super bowl Sunday. Keep up the good work!

Ted
Darn, I think in just opened the wrong door again thinking this was TF. Where's the moderator? I will also redeem this offense by mentioning boating.

Being in FL, it has been my long time tradition to enjoy a day going to the barrier island free of most any other boats on Super Bowl Sunday and kicking back with nary a whisper of the NFL to passing my ears. I don't ever even let the Army-Navy game nonsense intrude on my equanimity (USNA grad)!
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:54 PM   #50
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I put Kap and a most all other loudmouth politically opinionated celebrities - including that rude, obnoxious, arrogant, hectoring Swedish kid - in generally the same category. What on earth have any of them ever accomplished in life that I would pay any attention whatsoever to anything they have to say?

Now back to boats. Dipping into this forum category is almost never a good idea.
kthoennes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:16 AM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Darn, I think in just opened the wrong door again thinking this was TF. Where's the moderator? I will also redeem this offense by mentioning boating.

Being in FL, it has been my long time tradition to enjoy a day going to the barrier island free of most any other boats on Super Bowl Sunday and kicking back with nary a whisper of the NFL to passing my ears. I don't ever even let the Army-Navy game nonsense intrude on my equanimity (USNA grad)!
In case you have thick thumbs - you are not in a boating sub forum.!
Old 09-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #52
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
We find that watching college football satisfies all of our previous pro football needs.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #53

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Mikala
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
We find that watching college football satisfies all of our previous pro football needs.

Couldn’t agree more. The games are more exciting as well.
Mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #54
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
It sez Trawler Forum when it comes unwanted to my email with other wanted TF posts. You figure it out.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
It sez Trawler Forum when it comes unwanted to my email with other wanted TF posts. You figure it out.
I would have thought that if you don't want to see these threads then you need to figure it out, not me.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #56
Guru

Quote:
I would have thought that if you don't want to see these threads then you need to figure it out, not me.
Maybe so, but I have been here a long time and never saw non-trawler related threads allowed before. So if I get upset, well, I get upset. I guess I will find a way to block harbor chat because politics, finance (unless specifically about a boat), and especially sports are not things I want funneled to my email.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #57
Guru

I figured it out. I get a digest version of new posts weekly, and the topics have to be clicked on before I would see the particular forum to which they belong, and to be frank, I never check that out and never noted the fact that Harbor Chat is non-boating - got added in later years I guess. It is now ignored so will not be seen by me again. I get cranky after a day in the heart cath lab, and not as the doc either. So chat away enjoying the rights some of us fought for.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #58
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Minshew Mania in Jacksonville.
Minshew is a gutty brawler with a chip on his shoulder. What he lacks in talent, size etc he makes up for in grit, confidence and determination to prove the naysayers wrong.
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #59
Guru

Wifey B: Oh and I'd not give anything to many of the NFL owners after knowing about their character and their views.

So, that said, I want the best players. I'm not into judging their political or social views. I'll just crimes they commit and disqualify them on that basis. I don't know them well enough to just choose the "good guys". I would put viciously beating spouses and girl friends below kneeling for whatever reason. I'd consider the workplace misconduct of Jerry Richardson, who was then forced to sell the Panthers, very severe.

Charles Barkley once said something that was horribly misinterpreted and was very poignant. It was in reference to athletes having a responsibility to be role models. He said that parents should never leave that up to athletes or celebrities but they should be the role models for their kids.

I watch television, sports, and movies and I know very little personally about most of the stars. I'm sure I'd be disgusted by a lot of them. Instead though, I just follow them in their profession. I shop in stores where the owners or CEO's disgust me, but I don't hold that against all the employees.

My husband is far more likely to know the business practices of owners and hold that against them. We are very offended by the shenanigans involving the Miami Marlins and their new stadium and their every changing ownership so we don't go. However, we're against public contribution to any professional sports teams stadiums and arenas. At the very least it should be taxable income to the owner.

I know Tom Brady is the best QB ever to play the game. I know his wife is gorgeous. I know nothing about his character. I only know one NFL player personally and he's so much better as a person than his public persona. So, I do cheer him on.

My favorite baseball player until his retirement this year was Adrian Beltre, but because the dude was respected by his teammates, was a potential hall of famer, and one of the funniest guys around. So, watch a little Adrian to lighten things up. Too bad umpire had no sense of humor.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #60
TF Site Team

Quote:
You're right but this is still the Trawler Forum. Non boating topics are allowed but...

Harbor Chat Posting Rules and Guidelines

Friendly, professional, informal exchange of "NON-boating" topics. Political comments, government policy, weaponry, religious and social issue discussions are off-limits in this forum.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote