Having a heart attack? You're alone? Now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
This comes from Dr. Patrick Teefy, Cardiology Head at the Nuclear Medicine Institute, University Hospital, London, Ont.

1. Let's say it's 7:25 p.m. and you're going home home, alone of course, after an unusually hard day on the job.

2. You're really tired, upset and frustrated.

3. Suddenly you start experiencing a severe pain in your chest that starts to drag out into your arm and up into your jaw. You are only a couple miles from the hospital nearest you.

4. Unfortunately you don't know if you'll be able to make it that far.

5. You have been trained in CPR but the guy that taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself.

6. HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE.
Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness.

7. However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously.

A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest.

A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without letup until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.

8. Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it to regain a normal rhythm.

In this way, heart attack victims can get help or to a hospital.

9. Tell as many other people as possible about this. It could save their lives!

5. You have been trained in CPR but the guy that taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself.

Yes I remember Michael Scott discussing this with Stanley

What do the Docs on the forum this about this? Does it make sense. Or is it just a good distraction until you die?

Not sure one would have the reflex to do this in such a situation if not trained regularly. First reaction when feeling the pain would be to panic, and when realizing what you need to do it would be too late already.

L

Depends upon the anatomy of the M.I. Many die from arrthymia. This would be unlikely to be of benefit. Sudden total proximal LAD occlusion may produce too large an area of myocardial ischemia and therefore infarction for this to help. In short there are many scenarios where this won’t be sufficient. However, I’m a neurologist not a cardiologist and could conceive of a situation it might be helpful to some modest extent.

What do the Docs on the forum this about this? Does it make sense. Or is it just a good distraction until you die?

Neurologist surgeon here , not a cardiologist; Well , after the 2021 Civil War - I mean the TrawlerForum's Covid-19 War Of The Vaccination Controversy - where tensions between members became rife until the Site Team simply deleted many covid-threads acting like to bring down a fever by breaking the thermometer, I had really sworn to myself that I would not commit myself again to any specific medical opinion; BUT being a medical doctor I just can't leave wrong and also potentially dangerous information without correction : the buzzwords “cough CPR”...

1. Please do not confuse heart attack and cardiac arrest :
Heart attack is when the blood supply to your heart muscle is interrupted , mostly but not only caused by blood clot,
A cardiac arrest is when the heart stops being able to function;

2. Not all heart attacks are associated with chest pain but if you recognize heart attack symptoms :
Forget “cough CPR” !!! in a heart attack coughing will NOT restore your heart rhythm,
Call for emergency help, 911, unlock your main door,
Aspirin has been proved to be helpful ; Chew = or < 300 mg aspirin if you are not allergic to,
Remain as calm as you can

Postscript: It is important to note that my opinion expressed here is not intended to provide specific medical advice

Thanks La Mer -

I am not a doctor either but have read enough to know male symptoms are different from female symptoms. Sounds like distractions to me... YMMV

Even in men, the classic symptoms (chest pain, arm pain, jaw pain) do not always present. A friend of mine thought he had the flu. After a couple of days of this getting worse, he went to the hospital. "Guess what?" they said, "You're having a heart attack!" Ended up with three stents.

Ok, family and emergency medicine background here - now retired, I might add. I would not dismiss the OP's post completely. I can foresee - in fact have witnessed on a scope - where in the relatively unusual event of ventricular tachycardia secondary to ischaemia (= starvation of oxygen to the main chambers of the heart inducing rapid beating) - the above advice - that is, a powerful cough, especially if faintness develops - could keep kicking the heart back into regular rhythm enough to maintain some circulation, but not for long. In no way would this equate to effective cardiac compressions from CPR. But, if help only minutes away...what's to lose..?

Last edited:
That's my thought as well. If all other available options (including the aspirin suggestion) are already being exercised and there's nothing else left to try, I can't see this making anything worse, even if it doesn't end up helping much.

Pretty much congruent to my post#6. Agree what's to lose. Similar to the old time thump on the chest.

Wifey B: Curious and maybe I missed it, but did no one mention nitroglycerin in this discussion? :ermm:

Wifey B: Curious and maybe I missed it, but did no one mention nitroglycerin in this discussion? :ermm:

Most people who have a first heart attack out of the blue probably don't have a prescription for nitroglycerin on them. It can be given to cardiac patients for help with preventing angina and additional heart attacks, but for most people out cruising on a boat, the first heart attack is usually a surprise that they haven't prepared for in advance.

Most people who have a first heart attack out of the blue probably don't have a prescription for nitroglycerin on them. It can be given to cardiac patients for help with preventing angina and additional heart attacks, but for most people out cruising on a boat, the first heart attack is usually a surprise that they haven't prepared for in advance.

Wifey B: Thanks for making an important point, maybe they should have some available to them. :eek:

As I understand it when someone calls 911, the first thing they're asked is if they have nitroglycerine. Then when they say they don't, it goes to Aspirin. We carry nitroglycerine when cruising even though none of us have had heart attacks, but as part of our medical kit. Would it save any lives if when the emergency operator asked, then everyone had it? :ermm:

I know there are negatives and dangers related to it. Just it always comes up as does aspirin. You're right about the first heart attack, but it's also often deadly. Just tossing a thought out. The thread brought up an interesting question of what would you do. I'd call 911 and do what they said. Of course, I'm seldom alone. Then I think of those of you who single hand a boat and I do worry about what you can do if a serious health issue arises quickly. :eek:

Last January (2021), I suffered a heart attack. I was relaxing at home watching TV. Pain started in chest, spread to arms and neck. Very intense pain. Told my wife to call an ambulance, she thought I was joking at first. From first discomfort to ambulance arriving was about 10 minutes. Within the hour I was being prepped for stents. That did not go well as they could not be inserted due to blockage. Three days later I had triple bypass surgery. Four days after the surgery (today the 25th, the year anniversary) I was released. Up until then, no health issues. I passed a stress test 9 months before with flying colors. I visit my doctor every three months as my company requires it. Cholesterol was within limits at upper range as was blood pressure.

Two cardiologists told my wife that if the paramedics would have been delayed a few minutes, I would have been dead. I was given drugs by them. If this would have happened on my boat, offshore or down the Gulf ICW, the result would have been death.

Bottom line, you can prepare by leading a healthy life. Make sure you have your physicals. But, if it is going to happen it will happen, I was lucky.

Greetings,
About the nitro...Can one even get a prescription for a "just in case" scenario? IF one mis-diagnoses oneself or another what are the dangers of an improper nitro dose at the wrong time? Medical comments, please? Thanks.

Great! One more thing to worry about.

iu

Nitroglycerin is cheap (as drugs go), but I doubt that a person without any history or indications of cardiac issues could get a prescription "just in case" unless they got it from a friendly doctor on an "unofficial" basis.

I keep baby aspirin on the counter in its special place. Just in case.

Baby aspirin and some Basil Hayden Bourbon to worsh it down .

I keep baby aspirin on the counter in its special place. Just in case.

Except if you are having a heart attack you're supposed to take north of 300mg of aspirin. A baby aspirin ain't going to cut it, but may be better than nothing.

FWIW, they used to say older people should take a baby aspirin once a day or a regular aspirin every other day to help prevent strokes and other clot caused issues. Apparently, unless your doctor specifically tells you to do it, this aspirin regimen by the average person tends to cause more problems than it solves.

In the case of a hemorrhagic stroke and other bleeding injuries, regular use of aspirin can make them worse.

Last edited:
I have no desire to enter into a medical argument with my fellow colleagues Peter B and Hippocampus and even less to relive the nightmare of the TF’s Covid-19 Civil War , thus I am going to get right to the main point:

The OP's email suggests that you can give yourself CPR if they think you are having a heart attack and are alone; It advised you to cough repeatedly and very vigorously; The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it to regain a normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get help or to a hospital; This advise was from Dr Patrick Teefy, Cardiology Head at the Nuclear Medicine institute University hospital, Canada ;

Moreover it's the type of email that implores us to pass on the information to at least ten people ! Well, the outlook does not look good at all...

Today I tried to reach Dr. Teefy by phone in order to get some more information about this email which - as a medical doctor myself I found suspicious, questionable and inaccurate; Patrick Teefy is a five stars MD, FRCPC , Interventional Cardiologist & Medical Director of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, LHSC , Associate Professor of Medicine, Western University ; Dr. Teefy has been on staff at London Health Sciences Centre since 1993 initially at Victoria Hospital and now based out of the University campus;

So , I called the Cardiology London Health Sciences Center, University Hospital
 in London, Ontario, Canada, contacted an administrative assistant who provided me Doctor Teefy's direct phone # 519.685.8500 ext 33075 but couldn't reach him today, however I have been able to speak on the phone with two other staff's members who are also cardiologists, I was looking for the reaction of the persons to whom I was addressing the question :

Not the first time they received inquiries and questions from medical people who have read an email supposed to come from Dr Teefy; This email has been going around usually on internet since 1999 ; Dr Teefy does not endorse any practice of cough CPR and any such reference on the internet is erroneously attributed to Dr. Teefy's name

To quote Twistedtree, That seems to sum it up.

The people I spoke to gave me numerous links of resources of which we discussed extensively at the phone, which I summarize :

"Apparently, the information came from a professional textbook on emergency cardiac care and is used in emergency situations by professional staff in settings such as a cardiac catheterization laboratory where patients are conscious and constantly monitored (i.e., an ECG machine) with a nurse or physician coaching the patient, or this has been achieved in hospitals, during tests or treatment on the heart in which the person was being monitored closely and supervised by doctors throughout."

"If you feel like you’re going to pass out, there is no harm in trying forceful coughing to try to terminate a possible arrhythmia. But the majority of people having a heart attack will not suffer a cardiac arrest, and by attempting ‘cough CPR’ they could make their condition worse."

"About cardiac arrest, it usually causes loss of consciousness within a matter of seconds, giving a person no warning. Even if a person suspected that they were having a cardiac arrest, it is highly unlikely that coughing could maintain enough circulation to do anything else, let alone drive safely. The correct advice for anyone who thinks they may be having a heart attack is to call immediately for an emergency ambulance and, whilst waiting for the ambulance to arrive, follow advice from the ambulance call handler."

"About aspirin, the best strategy if we find ourselves in this predicament, says Harvard Medical School’s Deepak L. Bhatt, M.D., M.P.H., is first stay calm. Call 911. Then chew one regular-strength 325 mg aspirin (or four low-dose 81 mg) - if you are not allergic to aspirin. Lie down. Chew the aspirin before swallowing as the sooner it is dispersed by the stomach, the sooner it gets to where it is needed. During a heart attack, waiting for the enteric coating surrounding the pill to break down naturally could be a mistake so be sure to chew the aspirin."

Well, there are always two sides to every story

Last edited:
Thank you La Mer. Excellent information which combats the misinformation that started this thread.
Will note we compiled a med kit for our boat for voyaging and passage making. As part of our vetting crew we required a detailed past medical history and varied our kit in accordance to some extent. Features included
A separate store of all meds taking by crew. That additional 2 week supply was stored by us in hard shell waterproof containers.
List of crew specific allergies was held by us.
Beyond general surgical, trauma and burn supplies we carried separate modules for infection, vascular, shock, anaphylaxis/allergies, skin, etc.
My wife is an RN, I’m a physician who’s done internal medicine before doing neurology. My PCP is skilled in wilderness medicine. We collaborated on what’s feasible to do on a small boat following the principle of “first do no harm”.
This principle is important. In the absence of basic vital signs and a understanding of the differential diagnosis the indiscriminate use of a vasodilator like nitroglycerin can cause harm. Just like MI can mimic other ills other ills can mimic MI. Probably just fine with uncomplicated esophageal spasm but can envision scenarios where harm could be done. Yes, we did carry nitro. Fortunately like the epi pen never used. But in the absence of telemedicine input, prior training or prior directions from personal medical personnel would not endorse the blanket use of nitro in unsupervised settings by unskilled individuals.(LaMer please chime in with your opinion).
Inspite of the training of several members of our boat we also arranged for telemedical support on passage. This included access to our PCP (or his coverage) via satellite. For those who are or intend to be off grid would suggest.
Take a wilderness medicine course or equivalent. Make sure it’s relevant to your cruising grounds. Tropical medical concerns in the windwards is different than those of the inner passage.
Have 24/7 access to medical support. (We had prepaid formal arrangements and our PCP/coverage).
If you intend to carry paddles or run codes get educated so you know what your doing.
Don’t assume. Without a ECG, vital signs and a educated eye you maybe mislead. Yes, with stroke we say “time is brain” and cardiologists drill into you timely intervention is life. Still although I routinely gave thrombolytics on land I chose to not carry tPA in the absence of imaging. Realize your limitations. Even the best cardiologist will be limited in what they could do on a small, mid ocean boat.
In our litigious world none of the above is medical advice as each circumstance is different.

Last edited:
Thank you La Mer. Excellent information which combats the misinformation that started this thread.
Will note we compiled a med kit for our boat for voyaging and passage making. As part of our vetting crew we required a detailed past medical history and varied our kit in accordance to some extent. Features included
A separate store of all meds taking by crew. That additional 2 week supply was stored by us in hard shell waterproof containers.
List of crew specific allergies was held by us.
Beyond general surgical, trauma and burn supplies we carried separate modules for infection, vascular, shock, anaphylaxis/allergies, skin, etc.
My wife is an RN, I’m a physician who’s done internal medicine before doing neurology. My PCP is skilled in wilderness medicine. We collaborated on what’s feasible to do on a small boat following the principle of “first do no harm”.
This principle is important. In the absence of basic vital signs and a understanding of the differential diagnosis the indiscriminate use of a vasodilator like nitroglycerin can cause harm. Just like MI can mimic other ills other ills can mimic MI. Probably just fine with uncomplicated esophageal spasm but can envision scenarios where harm could be done. Yes, we did carry nitro. Fortunately like the epi pen never used. But in the absence of telemedicine input, prior training or prior directions from personal medical personnel would not endorse the blanket use of nitro in unsupervised settings by unskilled individuals.(LaMer please chime in with your opinion).
Inspite of the training of several members of our boat we also arranged for telemedical support on passage. This included access to our PCP (or his coverage) via satellite. For those who are or intend to be off grid would suggest.
Take a wilderness medicine course or equivalent. Make sure it’s relevant to your cruising grounds. Tropical medical concerns in the windwards is different than those of the inner passage.
Have 24/7 access to medical support. (We had prepaid formal arrangements and our PCP/coverage).
If you intend to carry paddles or run codes get educated so you know what your doing.
Don’t assume. Without a ECG, vital signs and a educated eye you maybe mislead. Yes, with stroke we say “time is brain” and cardiologists drill into you timely intervention is life. Still although I routinely gave thrombolytics on land I chose to not carry tPA in the absence of imaging. Realize your limitations. Even the best cardiologist will be limited in what they could do on a small, mid ocean boat.
In our litigious world none of the above is medical advice as each circumstance is different.

Wifey B: Excellent Hippo. No fair you and wife being med pros. :lol: Carrying your own doctor and nurse with you, in your selves. :)

We have done the best short of that we could. At our maritime school, we started with first aid and continued with both taking Medical Person in Charge course. I'd highly recommend it for anyone cruising, even if not interested in licensing. Now, clearly with 10 days training vs. your decades we're beneath novices. However, it did at least give us some training in the subjects I'll list below plus a training session in an ER.

Suturing & Wound Care, IV Therapy, Medication Administration & Injections, Pain Management, Infectious Diseases, Behavioral Emergencies, Eye, Ear, Nose & Throat, NG Tubes & Urinary Catheterization, Altered Mental States, Specific Diseases, OB/GYN & Infant Care, Complications of Drug & Alcohol Use, Poisoning & Overdoses, Rescue & Death At Sea, Legal Issues, Communication & Documentation, Anatomy, Patient Assessment, Respiratory Emergencies, Cardiovascular Emergencies, Defibrillation (AED), CPR, Bleeding & Shock, Burns, Environmental Emergencies, First Aid Kit, Sterile Techniques, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Muscular & Skeletal Injuries, Spinal Injuries, Lifting & Moving Injured or Ill Patients.

In addition to that, we subscribe to MedAire. This gives us immediate phone contact with a first responder type and ER type team. They helped us select what would be in our medical kit. We can get a webcam or other video call, all 24/7/365. Anything significant we would do based on their instruction, but feel we do at least have the exposure to carry out their instruction. :)

At the time we set this up, PC's weren't doing telehealth and I imagine there are other ways to do it. So, what we're doing does mirror your methods, just a very small level of experience compared to yours. Also, the service we use will assist in hospitals and doctors in other areas of the world and in evacuation from sea if necessary. (We do have travel policies on all on long range cruises). :ermm:

One thing I was so happy to see on your list was requiring medical history. We require it of all cruising long distances or extended cruises with us. At this point, don't know of anyone cruising at all with us for whom we don't have it. They understand the purpose. I'm fully on board with HIPAA and protecting information but many don't know first what HIPAA doesn't apply to and second times they need their information known. Protect from employer abuse and others spreading information, but if you have friends you travel with on land or sea, please inform them. It may save your life. Among friends, it's not being nosy, it's looking our for each other. :)

This is far off from being alone and having attack as it involves others, but a little training might help one recognize better what they're experiencing and translate it to more usable descriptions for 911. I'd rather wait for the paramedic, but if 911 says to do something and it makes sense, I'll do it. I'd rather wait for the hospital, but the 911 operator and the paramedics are the key to me making it to the hospital. I think we're not far from the day we'd get patched through by camera to the paramedic and/or ER and they'd see us before they reached us. :)

I would encourage everyone with long times spent at sea to have a good medical kit, get some level of training, and follow your lead and ours and have arrangements with someone to advise us when an emergency arises, or in your case, to consult with you. They work together. We know heart attacks can kill, but we often forget the so called minor things that may not be minor, an infected wound, dehydration, an allergic reaction, a bite, a cut, a burn. :ermm:

On occasion I have seen advertised small portable battery powered units with paddles or electrodes to give someone a jumpstart at home if needed.

Sounds like someone solo would pass out before they could find it and use it.

But is that sort of gadget a piece of gear one should have around, or more dangerous than helpful?

On occasion I have seen advertised small portable battery powered units with paddles or electrodes to give someone a jumpstart at home if needed.

Sounds like someone solo would pass out before they could find it and use it.

But is that sort of gadget a piece of gear one should have around, or more dangerous than helpful?

The defibrillators you can get to carry onboard are pretty automated and give directions. They're not meant for self use but it's not a bad thing to have around.

Reactions: FWT
The defibrillators you can get to carry onboard are pretty automated and give directions. They're not meant for self use but it's not a bad thing to have around.

Wifey B: Do you know the difference between not breathing, agonal breathing, and normal breathing?

If the answer to that is "no" then you need some training. :eek:

Do you know the difference between cardiac arrest and a heart attack?

Those who sell equipment may or may not train you on the use of that equipment, but mostly they don't train you on when or when not to use it and the risks involved. :banghead:

AED's are life savers, but one must get training. Here is just a small discussion of some of the do's and don't's.

https://avive.life/when-not-to-use-a-defibrillator/

And a Mayo article.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...utomated-external-defibrillators/art-20043909

:)

Wifey B: Do you know the difference between not breathing, agonal breathing, and normal breathing?

If the answer to that is "no" then you need some training. :eek:

Do you know the difference between cardiac arrest and a heart attack?

Those who sell equipment may or may not train you on the use of that equipment, but mostly they don't train you on when or when not to use it and the risks involved. :banghead:

AED's are life savers, but one must get training. Here is just a small discussion of some of the do's and don't's.

https://avive.life/when-not-to-use-a-defibrillator/

And a Mayo article.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...utomated-external-defibrillators/art-20043909

:)

Yes, some training is needed. The AEDs I'm familiar with will confirm that the rythm is abnormal but shockable before giving a shock. So the level of training needed is lower than you'd need for a hospital grade unit that relies more on the operator, for example.

Strong like for above two posts. As regards the infinite threads about MOB would also suggest every ~5y even if not racing doing a Safety at Sea course. A real eye opener.

Back
Top Bottom