City: Slicker?
Gulf Stream slowdown

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...t-in-millenium
Old 02-26-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
Guru

City: .
Bonjour

Interesting indeed.
“ Without the warm North Atlantic Drift, the UK and other places in Europe would be as cold as Canada, at the same latitude. For example, without this steady stream of warmth the British Isles winters are estimated to be more than 5 °C cooler, bringing the average December temperature in London to about 2°C. ”

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/repo...ulf-Stream.htm
Yahoo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:26 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
That's truly amazing that they know exactly what the gulfstream current speeds were 1,000 to 1,600 years ago.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:02 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
That's truly amazing that they know exactly what the gulfstream current speeds were 1,000 to 1,600 years ago.

Ted
Yeah, science is all BS.......
Old 02-26-2021, 03:04 PM   #5
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilou View Post
Bonjour

Interesting indeed.
“ Without the warm North Atlantic Drift, the UK and other places in Europe would be as cold as Canada, at the same latitude.
Very few people are aware that New York is at the same latitude as Madrid. Many years of aviating to Europe the weather was the same, but the daylight differences over the seasons was striking. Light at 4am in Oslo and 70 degrees outside.......
Old 02-26-2021, 03:13 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
Very few people are aware that New York is at the same latitude as Madrid. Many years of aviating to Europe the weather was the same, but the daylight differences over the seasons was striking. Light at 4am in Oslo and 70 degrees outside.......
You are right, very few people are aware of that. Same latitude as well as Naples South of Italy.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:25 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Yeah, and Sioux Falls, South Dakota and French Riviera/Monaco are the same latitude too. I don't think Prince Albert has to scrape the ice off his windshield though.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Yeah, and Sioux Falls, South Dakota and French Riviera/Monaco are the same latitude too. I don't think Prince Albert has to scrape the ice off his windshield though.
Indeed !
Old 02-26-2021, 05:53 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
A "Prince Albert" does not attach to a windscreen.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:13 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
Yeah, science is all BS.......
I wouldn't say that. This just appears as red meat being tossed to the base. When did science become the new religion where no one dares to question the pronouncements?

Ted
Old 02-26-2021, 08:43 PM   #11
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
I wouldn't say that. This just appears as red meat being tossed to the base. When did science become the new religion where no one dares to question the pronouncements?

Ted
Um, you know exactly when/how that got started. It is shameful.

If you do not agree with every last government billion-dollar cost adder, you are automatically a science denier and a domestic terrorist.
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:44 PM   #12

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Stella
Vessel Model: Seaton 56
I visited Waterford on the south tip of Ireland several times and was surprised to see cabbage palms. Not too far from Newfoundland but equipped with Gulfstream central heating.
DCDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:49 PM   #13
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Quote:

Ted
And of course your objection to this research is based on your own scientific study of the gulf stream rather than, say, "red meat that's being tossed out to the base"?

You're not "questioning the science", you're rejecting it out of hand because you don't like the conclusion and have been trained to believe that scientists are lying to you as part of some massive and imaginary conspiracy.
socalrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:34 PM   #14
Swa

City: Tampa
OMG its “The Day After Tomorrow”
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Swa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:01 PM   #15
Swa

City: Tampa
There are many other researchers reconstructions that disagree with these conclusions and don’t show any significant decline over the last 150 years at all. Disaster scenarios might make for a good headline, but we’d be better off leaving the climate drama to Hollywood.
Swa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:09 PM   #16
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Funny how a simple post about a publication is turned in a thread about pro vs con science.
And most of people critic about science are benefiting from it every day without even noticing this.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:14 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Odd weather things happen. This spring/summer/autumn a La Nina has affected the east coast of Australia,drought quenching rain,full dams, lower temperatures. But on the west coast, there are high temps and fires. Last year, much of the east coast was dry and on fire, in high temperatures. La Nina is balanced by El Nino somewhere else, ? the west coast of USA.
Maybe the gulf stream just needs a big propeller at point of origin to speed it up. Powered by a coal fired electricity plant?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:23 AM   #18
FF
Guru

"When did science become the new religion where no one dares to question the pronouncements?"

When science became political and climate change became a religion ,,,,"Settled Science".
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:17 AM   #19
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Questioning scientific theories used to be healthy and welcomed.

Now, if certain topics are questioned and debated, in certain circles one is labeled a "denier".

I had this happen to me when I simply questioned the accuracy of models used to forecast climate change. The climate is a very complex system with lots of variables and lots of processes that are not well understood. The analogy I used is it is similar to modeling an economy with all the variables there. I was in no way promoting that climate change was not happening, just questioning about model accuracy.

In that group I was basically shouted down and labeled a "denier".

Not a healthy situation for science.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:23 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
And of course your objection to this research is based on your own scientific study of the gulf stream rather than, say, "red meat that's being tossed out to the base"?

You're not "questioning the science", you're rejecting it out of hand because you don't like the conclusion and have been trained to believe that scientists are lying to you as part of some massive and imaginary conspiracy.
Yes, actually I'm questioning the science. I have run numerous diving charters to the western part of the gulfstream in Maryland, North Carolina, and Florida.

From my experience the gulfstream stream varies greatly. We dive shipwrecks as deep as 300' where the decompression is done in the gulfstream. Sometimes the current screams at over 2 knots. Other times it's under 1/2 knot. Sometimes we find the warm blue water at 60' to the surface, other times it may be only the top 15'. Most years the gulfstream can be found as close as 50 miles off of Maryland. Occasionally the gulfstream tracks much further offshore. This is evidenced by the pelagic fish that are usually caught off Maryland (tuna and marlin) being all but absent. Instead they are much more prolific in Bermuda.

When diving the shipwrecks off of Cape Hatteras to Morehead city, North Carolina, we expect to see blue gulfstream water. There will be summers when the Northerly gulfstream is pushed offshore by upwellings of the Labrador current with it's Southerly current and cool green water.

Anyone who has dove or boated between Florida and the Bahamas will tell you that the gulfstream changes it's velocity and depth of warm blue water.

Do you think hurricanes and super storms have any impact on the gulfstream?

So with all the variables that I have witnessed over the last 40 years, when scientists tell us they know with absolute certainty (isn't that what science is, knowing with absolute certainty) what the gulfstream velocity was 1,000 to 1,600 years ago, I laugh.

Ted