Good RV forums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
We're in the VERY early stages of looking for then purchasing a Class A motorhome, probably diesel and somewhere in the 32'-36' size.

I am looking for some RV forums that operate like this one does for boats, i.e., people are respectful, don't put down what type iof boat you have, are generous with their experience and knowledge, etc.

Any RV'ers on here who know of high quality RV forums?

Try iRV2.com
Sister site run by SK and very active.
Set up is similar

Many groups on FB, including ones for specific manufacturers.

Many groups on FB, including ones for specific manufacturers.

That would work except I haven't been on FB for many years. I quit it when my SIL posted a message "Well, it's Tuesday and 10:00 in the morning, time for laundry."

I had thought for years about getting off FB. Her post was the straw.

Bacchus, thanks. I'll lurk there for awhile to see if it's what I'm looking for.

[emoji106] I think you will appreciate the cooperation.

If you are an anchor out style cruiser the Escapees might be good for you.

The key with a class A is to purchase one on a chassis built for that length.

Some RV assemblers will use a chassis with a short wheelbase and stick 4 to 8 ft on the rear.

Make sure the wheelbase is correct for the length of the camper or cross winds will be a horror.

The MSRP can usually be discounted 30% on a new unit, a higher quality used unit is usually best long term.

www.escapees.com

Last edited:
Here is a second for irv2.com

Since we just bought a Grand Design product, I have joined mygrandrv.com which is product specific, however much of the information is universal.

I also like the apps "campendium" and 'harvest hosts"

Facebook groups are very difficult to find information previously posted. Better to look for a forum type where you can search easier.
Escapees is one of the better ones, lots of the posters are more serious and experienced than other forums. And once you pick out a brand look for those forums.
Foretravel makes an excellent product in the 36' range. Don't be afraid to look for a well maintained 20 year old coach. Motorhomesoftexas.com in Nacogdoches is a well respected dealer of used models.

Thanks for all the replies and good information. Now another stoopid question--What is FRED?

The Good Sam Open Road Forum is a good one. Also Airstream, Big Foot and Sunnybrook owners club forums we used as owners, I’m sure Winnebago etc also have there’s if you have decided on a manufacturer.

Same question as Mike's regarding forums, except for Class B, specifically MB Sprinters. Considering buying a new bare truck and building one up, or a buying used one already converted. Any comments appreciated.

Thanks for all the replies and good information. Now another stoopid question--What is FRED?
FRED = FRont End Diesel.
Not many MHs built on FRED chassis but there were some.
IMO Sort of a compromise between a gasser and diesel pusher. Power / torque of a diesel placed on a conventional gasser chassis. Avoids some of the complexities and expense of air brakes, air suspension and heavier frame.

Not to be confused with a Tiffin Allegro RED that is a Rear Engine Diesel.

Same question as Mike's regarding forums, except for Class B, specifically MB Sprinters. Considering buying a new bare truck and building one up, or a buying used one already converted. Any comments appreciated.
IRV2.com has different separate sections for different class RVs...
Cl A, B, C MHs, Travel Trailers, 5th Wheels, Truck Campers as well as Truck Conversions
Plus various builders forums for mfg specific questions
As well as many general discussion categories... maint, electrical / electronics, trip planning, regional events, etc
Take a look / lurk for awhile not required to join just to look - iRV2.com is one of the more frequently used RV forums I've seen. Some members and Mod overlap with other SK sites like TF.
Just a note: searches are more productive using the Google Search bar built in vs the "forum search" feature.

Last edited:
I joined IRV2 but thus far have only lurked. Lots of info on there and I do see some crossover from there to other boating sites I use.

Thus far I don't see any brand bashing and I like that. Serves no purpose.

Diesel Front engines were out of favor in motor homes since no matter how well the insulation was in the box the noise reflected down to the pavement and came back into the passenger space.

Bluebirds had this problem, the gas engines are preferred in used units.

Today the M-B sprinters are as quiet as a gas engine auto , so the class B van chassis is popular as is the class C built up unit on a Sprinter chassis..

We have a class C , M-B Forest River 24 ft unit with a full wall slide out .

Lived ok full time for 4 months as our modular cottage was being built and installed.

Drives really easy for the bride who was nervous of the width of a class A. or our past bus conversions.

Sure the unit is as just wide , but the van portion is more car like so she isn't scared of mailboxes.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f242/

We tow a 12ft trailer Snow birding , or a CRV Honda when taking vacations.

Last edited:
Reports of the MB diesels have not been without some issues.

Suggested to me was try to speak to a couple fleet managers before commiting..

I went with a Ford E350 chassis....parts and repairability anywhere in the US (well as good as it can get)

Last edited:

We have a Class B on a Sprinter chassis. My go to Forum for Sprinter questions is the Sprinter-Forum, The Sprinter Source. There is a sub section on Sprinter Based RVs and conversations.

Ours was converted by Pleasure-Way, a 2005 which has the T1N engine.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php

Attachments

• 79E2E8D5-5328-4208-B311-E66E674430BA.jpg
    79E2E8D5-5328-4208-B311-E66E674430BA.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
All very good suggestions above. I would also add that if you start to focus on one brand, particularly if it is a major one like Winnebago, join their owners forum which is also an SK managed site.

Also, whether looking for new or used, shop on Rvtrader.com. Essentially all RV's are listed for sale there. It has a very comprehensive search engine, not like the search function here but one that does it by type, maker, model, trim, year range, price range, etc.

If you want to buy new, also use Rvtrader to find the internet selling price for the RV you are interested by searching on the above terms as well as "new". You will find as much as a dozen internet new RV sellers. Some just advertise MSRP but others like MHSRV in Texas (for Thor coaches mostly) and General RV all over, advertise true discounted prices.

I have noticed that these discounted prices have creeped up over the last several months to about 25% off of MSRP as the market has tightened but should relax this winter to more like the traditional 30%. These will give you a good benchmark for any new RV negotiations with a local dealer.

FWIW I have transitioned away from being a trawler owner and am now focused on a short Class A gasser built on the Ford E350 chassis.

David

Last edited:
IF you choose a used unit which saves loads , first learn the quality pecking order, similar to boats.

Some RV are very low cost, quality , some are Abeking & Rasmusse.

The highest quality units are frequently the best buys as they appeal to solvent purchasers who could purchase new if they chose.

For a good unit that comes from the 70's look at a Superior , made in 20-ft and up by the superior bus company.

Not sticks and staples but like a skool bus, steel ribs ., could take a rollover .

On Dodge chassis , parts are at NAPA , ez to find , gas engines ez, cheap to fix .

Superior club part of FMCA to locate a great unit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom