Good bye WhatsApp !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quelle..? Je suis spam..? Je suis dévasté. :eek: :nonono: :facepalm:

I suspect it must because of my rather unconventional email address. Oh dear, how sad - never mind. At least that protects my privacy..? Maybe..? :D

Amities, ma cherie, I look forward to those replies to my somewhat-better-late-than-never, emails, :flowers:
Well you must have known that PeterTheLadiesBeast@....com is something that some would block lol

L

Quelle..? Je suis spam..? Je suis dévasté. :eek: :nonono: :facepalm:

I suspect it must because of my rather unconventional email address. Oh dear, how sad - never mind. At least that protects my privacy..? Maybe..? :D

Amities, ma cherie, I look forward to those replies to my somewhat-better-late-than-never, emails, :flowers:

Ma cherie ? wow I love that. You are such a fast-learner Mon Cheri. Just 1 week in France made you very aware of the French romanticism which is never a code-word neither an empty promise. I much appreciated ! :thumb::):flowers:

Wifey B: It's all a matter of who has access and who doesn't. In March, 2000, I relinquished all privacy to a couple of government agencies and my future (at that time, but now present) hubby had to follow suit as it was a cost of being with me. Also meant some risk to his life. Regardless of administrations, the ground roots people you deal with have continued to do their duty the same way. :)

It's scary but having the good guys monitor you is preferable to the bad guys getting you. We only have direct contact now once a year, but they could be monitoring this post or my next phone call for all I know. I know they monitored heavily in the first few years as they'd remark about something I'd done or someone I'd talked to. Even when we moved to Fort Lauderdale and bought a boat, the next day we get a call to check on us and a comment on how beautiful our boat we bought yesterday is and our name was nowhere on the purchase so clearly they saw us. These are incredible people I'd trust, well, I did trust with my life. Yet, especially during the early years, I had to remain very protective of my privacy otherwise. :ermm:

The points are:

1. The powers to track you they have are amazing and even more so with facial recognition today. Even then though, some had it, hence my reason for never having a photo online. Anything you imagine can be done, I assure you it can be.

2. The information in the right hands can be what protects you and protects us all. There have been terrorists on trains stopped at the destination and arrested before they could do anything, businesses shut down because they were fronts, and murderers caught in amazing ways. :)

3. The information in the wrong hands is terrifying. I often thought if the good guys saw this, what about the bad guys. I never saw a sign of the bad guys after going for help and to help as I had to trust the good guys to watch and take care of them. I'd get updates on them feeling the risk was lessened and feeling now it's virtually non-existent. Still I always thought if the people wanting me dead had been doing what the people protecting me were, then could have been the end of me. :hide::hide:

As a society, a civilization (although I'm using that word very loosely), as a world, we weren't prepared for this age of technology. We didn't understand it's potential. We didn't move quickly enough to manage it. Decisions were made to allow most anything to transpire as we rejected thoughts of regulation. I think now we're understanding there must be limits, but we have no idea how to put the right limits in place. All the privacy policies in the world aren't accomplishing anything. We need cyber security we don't have, that we haven't even yet imagined. And somehow we need that while maintaining freedoms to a reasonable, but not unlimited extent. Freedom of speech was never unlimited. The most used example was you couldn't yell "Fire" in a crowded theater. Yet, now people are yelling "fire" on a world stage and people and companies are tracking your every move online. I grew up loving cookies, especially chocolate chip, but now I fear what information is being stored in cookies. Pilou's in a field constantly concerned. If I end up in ER I'd love for them to know my entire medical history, although it's quite boring. But then we've had to put in all sorts of laws to keep the information protected and that's only a fantasy we have. The horse hasn't just left the barn, it's run miles out of the gate. Somehow we must figure this out. Another simple example is your bank. They must have information. Easy to say no third parties, but suddenly your bank is owned or owns and all these you might have thought were third parties are the same organization. And that's what has happened to WhatsApp. :confused:

I received a message from unknown sources to pass on to you
Get ready to move again, signed WITSEC
It arrived on my top secret sat phone. :rolleyes:

Greetings,
It's all harmless, innocent fun until the "Good Guys" become the "Bad Guys".

iu

I received a message from unknown sources to pass on to you
Get ready to move again, signed WITSEC
It arrived on my top secret sat phone. :rolleyes:

Wifey B: Don't think so. :rofl:

Maybe I should go play the lottery instead. :D

"I often thought if the good guys saw this, what about the bad guys."

Who the good guys are and who the bad guys are flips far faster than Orwell predicted.

As a society, a civilization (although I'm using that word very loosely), as a world, we weren't prepared for this age of technology. We didn't understand it's potential. We didn't move quickly enough to manage it. Decisions were made to allow most anything to transpire as we rejected thoughts of regulation. I think now we're understanding there must be limits, but we have no idea how to put the right limits in place.

Your whole post was very well-written and hit the nail on the head, thank you! I wanted to quote the whole thing but decided to focus on this point.

I've seen the same thing unfolding in real time. The experiment of extending so-called "free speech" to an unregulated, on-line, privately-owned environment has failed miserably. Shouting "Fire" on a world stage is a great analogy.

What we do about it is less clear. Here in the US, we can (and I believe, should) fall back on the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Congress (the federal government) may not pass a law abridging the freedom of speech.

So, the framers had a very narrow view of "free speech." They didn't say private property owners couldn't restrict speech on their property. They didn't even say states couldn't, although most included that in their constitutions, too.

And "rights" come with responsibilities. The old tropes about shouting Fire in a crowded theater, or your right to swing you fist ending at someone else's nose.

In some ways I'm glad private enterprise is stepping in to stop those who are presently shouting "Fire." Part of me feels it's a good thing the federal government isn't the one doing it. Orwell and all that.

But I remain troubled that maybe this isn't the best solution. Can we trust un-elected but dominant corporations to rule any better than those we elect to Congress? Their track record isn't good. In fact, neither corporations nor partisan politicians seem particularly motivated by the best interests of citizens.

Last edited:
But I remain troubled that maybe this isn't the best solution. Can we trust un-elected but dominant corporations to rule any better than those we elect to Congress? Their track record isn't good. In fact, neither corporations nor partisan politicians seem particularly motivated by the best interests of citizens.

My belief is that these corporations (and their shareholders) are still driven by profit.

So the limitations on their activity will be driven by two things.

People voting with their feet and wallets and, tightly tied into this, the lack of barriers to entry. That is, nothing to stop new models from using the vacuum created by alienating part of the market, and quickly gaining customers.

(...) I've seen the same thing unfolding in real time. The experiment of extending so-called "free speech" to an unregulated, on-line, privately-owned environment has failed miserably. Shouting "Fire" on a world stage is a great analogy.

What we do about it is less clear. Here in the US, we can (and I believe, should) fall back on the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Congress (the federal government) may not pass a law abridging the freedom of speech.

So, the framers had a very narrow view of "free speech." They didn't say private property owners couldn't restrict speech on their property. They didn't even say states couldn't, although most included that in their constitutions, too (...)

Off-Topic. Not a single key changes in the new privacy policy and terms of service for WhatsApp (which is the subject of that thread), call into question the freedom of speech & expression. WhatsApp - also iMessage, Telegram, Signal Messenger and Wire Messenger - encrypts all its messages End-To-End with a level of encryption that makes the messages sent using the app only visible to the message's sender and receiver. WhatsApp (so far) can't read them and therefore can't reproduce them if ever required to by governments or law enforcement agencies. Also service providers and cyber-criminals cannot read any messages they intercept as they travel across the internet.

WhatsApp uses AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) 256-bit keys and the new set of rules, what have nothing to do with free speech, does not eliminate that encryption.

To be totally clear for everyone, one WhatsApp number cannot work on two cellphones at the same time. BUT WhatsApp omits to point out that hackers could access your WhatsApp messages and data via WhatsApp Web (the computer based and online version of WhatsApp messaging), or register your number on another device. Anyway in this always possible event, encryption is not in question, one must ensure her/his personnal safety to stop you from a serious hack such as the one that hit Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos in 2018 after he received a WhatsApp message from a personal phone number belonging to the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia himself.

Whatsapp’s new privacy policy and terms of service has over 8000 words and it is not easily understood. In short, the new policy means that whatever data you have on WhatsApp, it is now shared with other Facebook companies, and third parties entirely unknown to you. New shared data includes location information, IP address, time zone, phone type, operating system, battery level, signal strength, browser, mobile network, ISP, language, time zone and IMEI(*). Not only this, but how & when you message or call, what groups are connected, your contacts, status, profile photo and last scene are shared.

(*) IMEI - International Mobile Equipment Identity - is a unique number for identifying a device on a mobile networknumber. Make sure to write down the IMEI number and keep it safe. That way, you’ll be able to give it to your carrier in case your phone gets lost or stolen. Also, make sure you don’t share the IMEI number with other people (I recall that new WhatsApp rule will read and share your IMEI). Shady characters often apply a valid IMEI number to a stolen device to avoid getting it blacklisted, which is of course illegal in many regions across the globe.

"WhatsApp delays new privacy policy as users flee to rival apps."
Updated 9:56 PM GMT / January 15, 2021
Credit to : Kaya Yurieff, CNN Business

"WhatsApp said on Friday that it won’t enforce the planned update to its data-sharing policy until May 15, weeks after news about the new terms created confusion among its users, exposed the Facebook app to a potential lawsuit, triggered a nationwide investigation and drove tens of millions of its loyal fans to explore alternative messaging apps."
January 15, 2021 / 8:30 PM GMT+1
Credit to : Manish Singh, Business Insider

I saw the delay, Pilou. Came here to see if you had heard and not surprised you were ahead of me.

I saw the delay, Pilou. Came here to see if you had heard and not surprised you were ahead of me.

Bonjour Brett !

« not surprised you were ahead of me » . This was my first time :)

You and Belle, please take care & stay healthy!

Back
Top Bottom