Giant Cargo Ship Jams Suez Canal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
66 container ships currently waiting. If they're able to float the ship, then problem likely short lived. However, if not, they'll bring in cranes and unload it which will take days. Some of the approaching additional ships may then choose to go around which adds roughly 19 days to transit time. Many companies have been experiencing major supply chain issues and this could add to those problems.

###

Attachments

• B9AB5EE0-1213-4342-8D9B-817B9A0A7B2D.jpeg
    B9AB5EE0-1213-4342-8D9B-817B9A0A7B2D.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 243B5B86-C632-4B9D-909E-4778EA4F5D95.jpeg
    243B5B86-C632-4B9D-909E-4778EA4F5D95.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Looks like enough bulldozers might be able to pull the stern back to center channel ,if the advanced nations flew in a hundred or two they might stand a chance.

Probably too much paperwork as they might need import tax paid , like the vehicles sent to Haiti still rotting by the runway , waiting import dollars.

We'll, I hope they succeed and don't end up like the Golden Ray.

Attachments

• PXL_20210327_141404726.jpg
    PXL_20210327_141404726.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 36
It’s resting on just the bow and stern. Investigators to date haven’t shown structural damage yet. But if they don’t do this correctly apparently they can break its back. That would be two very large pieces to move.

Here's a question for one of you professionals:

What does this behemoth weigh? I can find the deadweight tonnage, (199,000 tons) which, of course, doesn't tell me and the gross and net tonnages, which aren't weights at all.

...but what is the weight of all the steel and stuff that makes up its corporeal totality? Surely Google knows, but I don't know how to ask.

Suez Canal traffic jam seen from space.
New images captured by the Copernicus Sentinel-1 mission from European Space Agency.

Attachments

• 7F7627DE-F183-4C7C-8C9F-4B0D0BECF618.jpg
    7F7627DE-F183-4C7C-8C9F-4B0D0BECF618.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 44
Some 9,000 tons of ballast water had been removed from the vessel, Bernhard Schulte Shipmanagement, the Ever Given’s technical manager, said, prior to new operations scheduled for tonight at high tide.

rsn48 said:
I found this Tik Tok interesting from a marine ship's officer.

Well, when someone on Tik Tok, who used to be a ships officer for 5 years, says there is rampant corruption among the pilots and the captain is going to prison, there is no need for an official investigation.

Maybe, just to be safe, a second opinion should be sought from Facebook

And maybe, just maybe, some one with experience might have some educated opinions as to the problems involved versus oh.... lets say .... some guys who have no experience.

And these kids may have an solution to the problem (from CNN):

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2021/03/27/suez-canal-ship-kids-solve-orig-jnd.cnn

Thought I would edit this in. When I was a young sub Lieutenant in the Canadian Navy training at Fleet School, I had to get my head around this fact (which is a metaphor). If I as Captain of a Canadian destroyer (or frigate or what have you) was on vacation in California with my family and my 2IC (Ex O) pranged the ship when it was being moved, I would be on court martial as it being my fault.

Last edited:
some of those experts were those kids at one time

Good to remember. I thought several of the answers were surprisingly insightful, if wrong on the details.

In the 4-5 y.o. cohort, they seem capable of elaborate chains of reasoning, only to reach an incorrect answer due to lack of exposure to the limiting facts.

My kids are now 39 and 22, but for me, 4 and 5 were the most amazing years.

Greetings,
Mr. AP. "...seem capable of elaborate chains of reasoning, only to reach an incorrect answer due to lack of exposure to the limiting facts." That's me, alright.

iu

If you watch this, notice the ever Given is driven by a drunken sailor from shore to shore before the event.

Greetings,
Mr. SV. That's what it appears to be BUT winds and mechanical problems have been mentioned in the press releases. I expect some sort of inquiry will be held and a cause(s) of the grounding found.

No sound but knowing what the final outcome is, one can feel the "Oh no's, OMG's, Holy shyte's, what do we do now's, get help's and general chaos as it unfolds simply from the frenetic movement of the various tugs and other vessels.

I suggest you watch the video AND play this in the background.

Just heard it`s re floated. Can`t confirm it on a trusted news source but the source is a radio station of the ABC news source I trust (except on matters political).

Last edited:
Last edited:
Pardon a little thread drift but I was thinking about the subject of local pilots in strange ports and I was wondering if the US Navy has to have a pilot when it goes into a port, or though the Suez Canal ? (I can't see a Navy Captain giving control of his vessel to a local captain.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom