Freezer Fail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
Lifted from the net, perhaps useful.

For those of you that are evacuating from the coast, I just heard a great tip.

It's called the one cup tip.

You put a cup of water in your freezer. Freeze it solid, then put a quarter on top of it and leave it in your freezer.

That way, when you come back after you've been evacuated, you can tell if your food went completely bad and just refroze, or if it stayed frozen while you were gone.

If the quarter has fallen to the bottom of the cup, that means all the food defrosted and you should throwit out.

But if the quarter is either on the top or in the middle of the cup, your food may still be ok.

It would be a great idea to leave this in your freezer all the time.

Then, if you lose power for any reason, you will have this tip to fall back on.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Thanks Mr. FF. Been doing a similar thing for years only we use a plastic water bottle. Fill to half and freeze while on it's side. Stand upright when frozen. So 1/2 of the bottom will have ice and the other half of the bottom will be empty. IF warming occurs, the amount of re-frozen water on the empty bottom side will indicate the length of the warming cycle.

I heard a similar tip for boat freezers. Ice cube in a ziplock bag. If it's not a cube when you open the freezer, throw the food away. It also can't spill if it melts on a rolling boat.

Ted

A QUARTER! What if the house blows away? I use a penny on an ice cube.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom