Old 07-24-2020, 08:51 PM   #21
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I don't believe so.

I also don't know what gear was being used, whether ground, airborne or satellite based....

I think the over the horizon radar was more than just ballistic missile finders...

From Wikipedia

The United States Navy created their own system, the AN/TPS-71 ROTHR (Relocatable Over-the-Horizon Radar), which covers a 64-degree wedge-shaped area at ranges from 500 to 1,600 nautical miles (925 to 3,000 km). ROTHR was originally intended to monitor ship and aircraft movement over the Pacific, and thus allow coordinated fleet movements well in advance of an engagement.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #22
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Hit a transmission power line.

https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-r.../A20P0060.html
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:28 PM   #23
Guru

City: West Coast
I know that power line crossing from Glen Valley to Whonnock.
Fraser River SS
https://goo.gl/maps/zfit6FkzZmSVJ79RA
Fraser River NS
https://goo.gl/maps/heC9tU3KNXoByjsm8

The lines have the usual large red balls, plenty of them, but there is too mush bush to get a shot of them. Too much growth to see them from the road and I don’t see them on satellite.

Be interesting to know if the lines were inspected for impact.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:04 PM   #24
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
I know that power line crossing from Glen Valley to Whonnock.
Fraser River SS
https://goo.gl/maps/zfit6FkzZmSVJ79RA
Fraser River NS
https://goo.gl/maps/heC9tU3KNXoByjsm8

The lines have the usual large red balls, plenty of them, but there is too mush bush to get a shot of them. Too much growth to see them from the road and I don’t see them on satellite.

Be interesting to know if the lines were inspected for impact.
From the report: The aircraft collided with the span between the North and the Middle suspension towers, which is 2077 feet long and was approximately 125 feet above the river at the time of the occurrence. The lowest line was damaged and was disabled by circuit protection (Figure 2).

There is a photo of the impact damage, but no balls in the photo.

125' above the river.

Wow.

Wonder if the flight school offers a barnstormer elective course?
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:44 PM   #25
Guru

City: West Coast
[QUOTE=Northern Spy;998991]From the report:/QUOTE]
Thanks for that and sorry you had to tell me. I did not read the entire report.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:06 PM   #26
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Way back in the day I was in the USAF stationed in AK. I worked in the Inertial Navigation Systems (INS) in the RF-4C jets. We had one plane that kept dumping the gyro when it would do a certain maneuver. No way to duplicate it on the test bench so I talked my way into a ride in the back seat of that jet so see if I could get it to dump. I was on flying status at the time so it wasn't too hard to talk then into it.

So I got about a 1 hr ride and loved every minute of it. On our way out to the range the pilot took me for a "ride". About mach .8, 150'-200' above the ground.

It's amazing how fast stuff goes by when you're that low and that fast.

Once we got to the range we went into the maneuver that made the system dump. Straight up climb then over the top so we were inverted, then a slow roll over to right side up. I watched the gauges on the panel very carefully to see when it dumped and it did, right on schedule.

That was without a doubt the most exhilarating plane ride I've ever taken and to my credit I didn't need the barf bag.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:44 PM   #27
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Back in the late seventies early eighties I made the acquaintance of several pilots who often transported goods that they didn’t want officials to know about.

My understanding is that they flew as low to the water as possible in order to stay under radars horizon as long as possible. One of them disappeared on a trip and was never found. The story was that he liked to touch the water with his prop tips. Don’t know if that was true but they did fly very low.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:00 AM   #28
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
That's really to bad that the instructor flew them into a crash. Yes, he had the responsibility of safe flight and there's a strong argument that low level flight can be extremely dangerous. It also can be fun.... high speed low level thru canyons, circles over your GFs house at 50 feet, high speed runway passes (not really too dangerous) and other low level stuff.

Overall, the radar discussion really has nothing to do with this story... it's just a fact that one can fly under the radar and is done all the time, and totally legal. If air traffic control can't see you, it's hard that they can point out hazards, not that they would have pointed out the catenary (assembly of lines strung between supports).

Unfortunately this is an accident caused by poor choices and ended up with horrible results. A big price to pay.