Old 02-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #21
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
The is a HUGE advantage to just having your own plane, and there's probably several on this list. Seems that flying and boating folks share a lot of common interests.

For trips less that 1000 miles, the light plane (piston single or twin) works quite well. I use to go to the Chicago area (Kenosha, WI) 4 to 6 times a year, and could beat the airline schedule door to door most every time. Heck, by the time I'm seated in a commercial plane, taxing out I'd be well into Georgia with my plane. On the other end, I'm 10 minutes with my plane vs over an hour commercial, plus another 30 min or more getting a car, and rarely took checked luggage.

On the short runs, like WifeyBs FLL to the Carolinas is where the private plane really shines, especially if the commercial is not non stop. Private planes can do that in 3 to 4 hours, on your own schedule. Key West is another. 1:20 for me, 9 to drive, and 3 for commercial that's not reliable.

However, light plane flying does have its drawbacks. The regulations and costs have skyrocketed... worse than boating. One does need the skills and needs to maintain the plane. I'm kinda lucky, also hold a mechanics license with Inspection Authorization credentials.... kinda like being the guy who supervises the mechanics. So, I can hire a mechanic, supervise him and do the paperwork, or I can just do it myself. And, like the boat, have spares on the shelf. And, my significant other is a pilot, too, so I can supervise her and sleep on the long legs. <g>

However, at times, don't know if the plane or boat(s) are more expensive. The trawler has been very reasonable to maintain. The gas inboard/outboards I've had (and currently have) have been more than the plane.

Now, getting back to commercial flying... yes, it sucks, and ain't what it used to be.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:08 AM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Hubby use to fly on company planes all the time and we've used charters, typically Netjets (inside deal from his former employer), a few times. Convenient sometimes but on the whole we just don't have the need for a plane. Like the California trip home, wouldn't have saved all that much time and would have been extremely expensive. Three of four times a year to NC and then to Myrtle Beach and home doesn't bother us driving much because the only time we get out on the highway and go anywhere far in our cars. Now, right now we have a stack of trips to SC and small plane would help there, but that's just a 2019 thing.

Our last long coastal cruise north, we shadowed our boat with different people driving our Sprinter so we always had transportation for a boat load. We put far more miles on it than our cars. Took it on our last SC trip too.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Hubby use to fly on company planes all the time and we've used charters, typically Netjets (inside deal from his former employer), a few times. Convenient sometimes but on the whole we just don't have the need for a plane. Like the California trip home, wouldn't have saved all that much time and would have been extremely expensive. Three of four times a year to NC and then to Myrtle Beach and home doesn't bother us driving much because the only time we get out on the highway and go anywhere far in our cars. Now, right now we have a stack of trips to SC and small plane would help there, but that's just a 2019 thing.

Our last long coastal cruise north, we shadowed our boat with different people driving our Sprinter so we always had transportation for a boat load. We put far more miles on it than our cars. Took it on our last SC trip too.
Wifey B:

You make some good points. One small plane doesn't work for all trips. One really needs 2 or 3, kinda like boats. The small GA planes shine for the short range and in that 100 to 500 mile range, they a much faster than commercial and not that much slower than Netjets. Although Netjets shines in the 300 to 1500 mile range (non stop range), however, not dirt cheap. But if only a few times a year, cheaper than owning and no upkeep, etc. Going to the west coast, as painful as commercial is, it often makes sense.

Just like boating, flying isn't for all. I just got it into my blood early and have always had a plane, and occasionally access to some pretty nice turboprops and jets. Today I'm probably spending 10x the amount of time on the water, vs flying, out almost every day for a short cruise somewhere.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Wifey B:

You make some good points. One small plane doesn't work for all trips. One really needs 2 or 3, kinda like boats. The small GA planes shine for the short range and in that 100 to 500 mile range, they a much faster than commercial and not that much slower than Netjets. Although Netjets shines in the 300 to 1500 mile range (non stop range), however, not dirt cheap. But if only a few times a year, cheaper than owning and no upkeep, etc. Going to the west coast, as painful as commercial is, it often makes sense.

Just like boating, flying isn't for all. I just got it into my blood early and have always had a plane, and occasionally access to some pretty nice turboprops and jets. Today I'm probably spending 10x the amount of time on the water, vs flying, out almost every day for a short cruise somewhere.
Wifey B: Neither of us has ever had the urge to be a pilot. I think when you don't like flying period, it probably doesn't make sense.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:36 PM   #25

City: Florida
Vessel Model: 420AC Sea Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Neither of us has ever had the urge to be a pilot. I think when you don't like flying period, it probably doesn't make sense.
My wife hates to fly. With the help of xanax, valium and whiskey, she does great though.
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #26
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
I only fly if I'm the pilot. I have never been a fan of Nashville. Never seen the appeal. I'm also not a music or TV person so that may be why.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Greenville, NC
Vessel Name: Just One Look
Vessel Model: Back Cove 41, Boston Whaler Montauk 210
I broke down and applied for TSA Pre-check. Went for my appointment and got my number within a week, even with the government shut down.

Had to fly from New Bern, NC to Atlanta to be with my brother who was having surgery. The security line at New Bern is always short, but I was a bit worried about Atlanta, especially given this was Super Bowl weekend. I must say, that was the best $45 I have ever spent. I zipped right through the check points at both ends, no shoes off, belt off, etc. And then on top of that, I charged it to my Venture Miles card, and Capital One comped me for it!

You definitely want to make an appointment for the Precheck, though. There were two guys in the office at RDU when I went that had been waiting for 3 hours to get processed as a walkin. Only one person processing clients at a time, and no ability to do more.

Mark
hayesdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:46 AM   #28
FF
Guru

" Only one person processing clients at a time, and no ability to do more."

AKA burorat job security.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
" Only one person processing clients at a time, and no ability to do more."

AKA burorat job security.
Typical. I got the pre check without applying for anything.... just gave it to me and it's nice. However, not flying commercial a lot these days unless my plane is not with me or it's a really long trip.

So, what does the pre check appointment want and what do they do?
Old 02-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #30
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Mine was fingerprinting, ID check (DL & passport), and an "interview" by a marginally literate mouth breather reading a few questions from a sheet of paper - questions were about time I spent in Hungary 20 years ago. More security kabuki.

Generally worth it, IMO - less interaction with other TSA halfwits later.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Greenville, NC
Vessel Name: Just One Look
Vessel Model: Back Cove 41, Boston Whaler Montauk 210
Yep, fingerprinting, scanning in your passport/other approved ID, answer a bunch of questions.

The actual process is through a company called Identogo, which isn't a government agency, it just supplies retail locations around the country for a variety of Identity services, including fingerprinting. So, don't think we can blame the lack of scale to being a brand of the government, rather they just like to fill the appointment schedule and limit the number of people on the clock at any given time.

It is very well organized, you just don't want to do it as a walk-in. Unless you go the the office in Morehead City, NC, probably, then you would perhaps be okay. Yes, they actually have an office in Morehead City....due to the port? It was odd to me.

Mark
hayesdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #32

City: Bella Bella
Vessel Name: Tenacious
Vessel Model: Uniflite 31 FB Sedan
Worst trip ever: 4 legs from Mackay, AU to Vancouver Island, 35 hours total. My bag missed the flight from Brisbane but somehow made it to LAX before I did (or was it YVR?). Got sick on the breakfast, that hit me while waiting to board in LA and I thought I was going to die until I deposited the meal into a barf bag on that flight. I barely made it through customs at YVR and couldn't go another step before resting in a chair for an hour. It was then too late to get my bag onto the last flight, but no worries - all flights to Vancouver Island had been cancelled due to fog. I could have gotten a hotel room but just wanted the trip to be over so took a cab to the ferry, waited 2 hours for the next one, then a 2 hour crossing. I think I slept for 2 days after that one. And this was with no major foul ups. Otherwise I guess I've been lucky, most air travel has gone smoothly.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #33
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
So many years ago there was a program for small boat customs reporting via phone. Later this program was rolled into Nexus and now nexus has been combined with trusted traveler and global entry. My trusted travel number is on file with all the major carriers so I am automatically assigned TSA precheck. Took me all of 2 min to go through TSA at both ends of this trip.

I buy all my seats now. I have long used up any airline miles. I get travel points through CC but I buy my ticket and get reimbursed by the CC. I no longer buy the cheap coach tickets. They are the first bumped and the last served. If the flight is under 4 hours I will buy a premium coach seat. Usually costs only a little more but you get much better treatment plus more leg room. If the flight is over 4 hours it’s first class or premium business class if international. The value of first class over premium coach is hard to justify on a short flight.

Now if I had to go through all the gyrations wifeyB went through on here trip to Sacromento, I would probably paid for first class.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post

Now if I had to go through all the gyrations wifeyB went through on here trip to Sacromento, I would probably paid for first class.
Wifey B: We use hubby's height to justify first class. Flights without any first class are really uncomfortable for him.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:21 AM   #35
FF
Guru

https://shanghai.ist/2019/02/23/yet-...l_Ujhug-6--n_w
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:41 AM   #36
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Caution: Language...

https://shanghai.ist/2019/01/29/obes...-same-airline/
Old 02-25-2019, 07:12 AM   #37
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
What is wrong with people. Tossing money into jet engines?

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #38
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Busses with wings. Between the typical airline employee that hates their customers and the TSA security Kabuki, I'll take AOC's train to Hawaii preferentially.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #39
Guru

Wifey B: We're flying to Italy on the 2nd. No crazy people allowed to mess with our plane.