Old 01-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
FLL Shooting

Wifey B: The world is insane. All of it. Every freaking inch. It shakes you up when you realize there's a shooting in the airport you use all the time. You breathe safely that it wasn't you. Then you realize it was someone, just as important as you, just as meaningful to their family. More senseless loss of lives. Please no politics. Leave that for another time. Just feel the tragedy.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Please no politics. Leave that for another time. Just feel the tragedy.

Yeah because raw emotion will bring about civil discourse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3567.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	60193

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
Guru

It appears the shooter flew in from Alaska, had checked his luggage with a gun inside. Went to the bathroom, retrieved his gun, started shooting. This all happened in baggage claim which doesn't have any higher level of security. Gun may have been legally checked as that is allowed.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Good grief! I'm flying OUT of FLL on Monday. At least I'm supposed to. The world is indeed insane and this is supposed to be the CIVILISED world.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
It is very strange, a guy flies all the way to Florida, from Alaska, to shoot random passengers in the baggage claim area???
Maybe he had problems on the flight ?
Old 01-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
It is very strange, a guy flies all the way to Florida, from Alaska, to shoot random passengers in the baggage claim area???
Maybe he had problems on the flight ?
That has been raised as a possibility, that he had some time of altercation on the plane. However, it's not confirmed. Also, that he previously sought mental health assistance. There's more to learn. Whatever the reasons, another tragedy. No more significant than all the murders in Chicago or the random murders daily throughout the country. It's hit differently because it was in a public venue, an airport, and it resulted in multiple deaths.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #7
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I am sure it is related to temperature difference. Coming from Alaska, Florida's sun made his brain boiling and well cooked so he lost his mind.
Ok I admit it is dark humour but hey when nothing more is left...
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Perhaps all personal firearms should be banned from being able to be shipped in your luggage on airlines, Period. Have your firearms shipped to your ultimate destination separately. Start up business anyone? There are companies that do it for golf clubs.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
It's still all over the news here. Some comments by the news media: "He was known by the FBI"..."He may have had physiological problems"...Ya think? There have been attempts by the media to link the shooter with ISIS...So what else is new?

This has been going on for about 6 hours and the authorities are just now starting to interview EVERYONE who was in the same terminal as the incident. Some of these people have been literally sitting out on the tarmac without food water or toilet facilities until recently and NOW they're going to have to go through who knows how many hours of debriefing. Kids and seniors among the crowd. I'm guessing from the TV footage there must be at least 500-1000 people.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:33 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Perhaps all personal firearms should be banned from being able to be shipped in your luggage on airlines, Period. Have your firearms shipped to your ultimate destination separately. Start up business anyone? There are companies that do it for golf clubs.
Well, the reality is flying wasn't necessary for this to occur. He could have just walked in to baggage claim from the street and done the same thing. I did hear it suggested that perhaps you shouldn't be allowed to carry ammunition.

Most of us just can't understand what thoughts and mind processes lead someone to want to kill others. I think we'll find out soon what some of his thoughts were, but still have a difficult time really understanding them. Perhaps we will on an intellectual level, but not in terms of the emotions or what he felt.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:01 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Shortly after 9.11, I took my daughter to BWI (Baltimore) airport. National Guard with AR15s were everywhere. Shook my head and left. Didn't fly after 9.11 for 4 years. Still don't fly much now. I'm risk averse. Don't like being in places where I don't control my own safety. Feel safer (more in control) cruising solo than going into an airport, stadium, or other large gathering area.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:07 PM   #12
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Sadly a lot of people with problems come to Alaska to get away from them, but all they leave behind is their history, and they start a new one with the same problems once they get here...

No answers, but it makes me very sad.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:44 AM   #13
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Perhaps all personal firearms should be banned from being able to be shipped in your luggage on airlines, Period.
Well that certainly sounds like a bit of a knee jerk reaction. Let's punish the millions of passengers who legally take firearms in their checked baggage because one lunatic decides to start shooting.

That kind of reminds me of the way we now all have to take our shoes off because another lunatic, Richard Reed, hid some explosives in his shoe in August, 1973. So here we are 44 years later still walking through the TSA areas in our stocking feet because way back then some idiot TSA supervisor thought it was a good idea. What it was/is is a classic example of a law that accomplishes nothing but foolishly making us feel safe. But then, that's what TSA's job is, right?????.

FYI, I flew from WA to AZ on 1/5 with a 9mm handgun and a box of ammo in my suitcase. I did it legally (as today's lunatic did) but when I got to AZ I didn't pull the gun out and start blasting away. Like millions of others who prefer to take a handgun with them when they fly, I left the gun in the bag until I was well clear of the airport property.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:02 AM   #14
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
FLL Shooting

I don't understand the need to always have a handgun at one's side. I've never found myself in a situation where I thought I could have used a handgun in public. My father-in-law always has a handgun with him-- he thinks someone will try to "get him" at some point and he wants to be ready. Why arm oneself for the minute possibly someone will try to "get you"?

Im from Texas and have plenty of guns, but I don't drive around or fly with a gun.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:43 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
Sadly a lot of people with problems come to Alaska to get away from them, but all they leave behind is their history, and they start a new one with the same problems once they get here...
Too true. The problem is not geographical.
Dreadful events like this can happen anywhere. A number of TF members use the airport; stay safe, take care, the security response probably makes it very safe for now.
But elsewhere in this troubled world, who can say? Melbourne narrowly thwarted serious simultaneous attacks planned for Christmas Day, at a rail station, a Cathedral, and a popular city square.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:19 AM   #16
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
It does seem that once he contacted mental health professionals, about the FBI making him listen to ISIS propaganda, he should have been put on a no fly list or at the very least been disarmed.

I suppose that makes too much sense though, and would require inter agency communications.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:23 AM   #17
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
After flying with Air Canada, who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Old 01-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I don't understand the need to always have a handgun at one's side. I've never found myself in a situation where I thought I could have used a handgun in public. My father-in-law always has a handgun with him-- he thinks someone will try to "get him" at some point and he wants to be ready. Why arm oneself for the minute possibly someone will try to "get you"?

Im from Texas and have plenty of guns, but I don't drive around or fly with a gun.
While I don't usually carry a handgun, I like the right to be able to when I deem it necessary. People die every day in the USA at the hands of bad people. The objective is to avoid putting yourself in those situations; sometimes in spite of your best intentions, you find yourself self in the wrong place. People use handguns most every day to defend themselves, many times without discharging the gun. That doesn't make the news cause it doesn't fit the media's narrative.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:54 AM   #19
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Alaska? My agency is reporting Canada.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #20
Obx

City: Outer banks NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: The world is insane. All of it. Every freaking inch. It shakes you up when you realize there's a shooting in the airport you use all the time. You breathe safely that it wasn't you. Then you realize it was someone, just as important as you, just as meaningful to their family. More senseless loss of lives. Please no politics. Leave that for another time. Just feel the tragedy.
I worked with The man from Virginia beach va that was killed. So Sad

Obx is offline   Reply With Quote