FLL Shooting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What could be the series of events that could lead a young to act like this. Looks like nobody think about that. I feel sorry for the victims, but I feel also sorry to see young waste his life that way...

Wifey B: I agree and I said that. I also agree with those who say more killed on the roads yesterday in FL than in this. That doesn't mean I find this any less sad. We recognize a risk in driving a car, but until yesterday I never thought of one in baggage claim. We already know the young man was living in a frightening mental place, going through something horrible. Mental illness is more painful to many than any physical illness and he's just one of millions who suffer, including many who were in the military in war torn areas. I've seen some horrid things in my life and I'm sure many here have seen far worse. Yet, I've never experienced a friend standing beside me being shot. Many times we've seen and talked to new kids at the orphanage and maybe shed some tears with them, we've gotten in the car to leave, pulled over a short distance away and both of us just bawled. None of us can stop all the ugliness or bad that happens and on the total scale then this incident is very small. Still, we've become hardened and a bit callous to some and that's the worst fear that these things could ever happen and we just accept them casually. Let's not forget either what it was like for all the witnesses, especially think of all the kids who were there. I know how images like these do impact kids. A lot of people yesterday were in fear of their lives in ways they never have been before. It's just sad.

Oh, and we watched yesterday, but we've now gone into our once a day update mode. It does them no good and certainly does us no good to obsess and watch it constantly. Only television we've watched today was the two worse teams in the NFL playoffs in the futility bowl, and only bits and pieces of it while doing other things.

Greetings,
The REALLY scary/sad part of issues like this is that today it's yesterday's news. Catastrophe has become so common it's just "another day at the office".

Greetings,
The REALLY scary/sad part of issues like this is that today it's yesterday's news. Catastrophe has become so common it's just "another day at the office".

Wifey B: In olden days there were things going on throughout the world but we didn't know. Today, we know or have ways to know, but we sometimes don't seem to care. Part of our attitude is self protection. My hubby would like to solve all the world's problems, he takes a heavy burden upon himself and feels it and I have to remind him that's impossible but what is possible is to just make a difference in one life today. That's all we can hope for from this event. Perhaps we (in the collective sense) react differently to the next cry for help we hear.

I also want to issue one upbeat reminder. In spite of how screwed up the world is, there are many incredible young people who have their priorities right, who will effect change if we help or let them. On those days it seems mankind is beyond redemption just find some of the special people in your lives or find other special people you don't know and they will refresh you with hope. We have to move on a bit and make it yesterday's news to survive. Today we made ourselves well by skyping with the kids in NC and seeing the snowmen they'd built and hearing about the snowball fights and listening to one say it had snowed mountains of snow and another say at least ten feet. For those moments, the world was right. In South Florida we know some in their 20's who are just such good people they make us feel good. Don't let the news be your only source of information on the next generation. In spite of us, they bring the future.

Far from it...seek the truly wild places, away from the madding hoards.

That's pretty much it. Avoid the major cities and large public gather areas to reduce your risk to near zero.

Ted

After many years as a cop and often seeing people at their worst, nothing people do surprises or shocks me any more. Saddens me, but doesn't shock me.

My heart goes out to those families who lost a family member or a loved one in this shooting or any of the other senseless acts of violence.

A sad paradox in our country is that in the city of Chicago alone, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation, over 570 people were killed by shootings, yet that does not get as much media time as the shooting of five people in an airport.

Nobody wants to talk about the violence in Chicago though because it's mostly gang on gang warfare and nobody cares about that. It seems it's just part of life in south Chicago.

Only the recent beating of a mentally challenged white teenager by four black people has gotten much press. Likely that only happened because they streamed it live on Facebook. Had it not been on social media none of us would have heard about it.

Indeed ordinary daily violence does not make any audience and I guess that if people would care more about it, and were more looking at each other to prevent it, we would be more in peace. When I see people in France comment about very young teenager doing stupid things at 3AM in the street I think that the problem is not them but the elders not looking at them. When I was 12 if one day I dared being out at 3AM I would have got a well received a message from my parents and would have never done it again...

Indeed ordinary daily violence does not make any audience and I guess that if people would care more about it, and were more looking at each other to prevent it, we would be more in peace. When I see people in France comment about very young teenager doing stupid things at 3AM in the street I think that the problem is not them but the elders not looking at them. When I was 12 if one day I dared being out at 3AM I would have got a well received a message from my parents and would have never done it again...

Wifey B: We still have a school night rule. :) Seriously, if any of us aren't going to be home by 11 pm then we let the others know. We also encourage the young people in our extended family to adhere to an 11 pm bedtime if they have school or work the next morning. I've heard too many times that nothing good ever happens at 3 AM. It can at home, but not out. ;)

Talking about "feelings", it all seems to boil down to feelings. These actions are by design meant to get us "feeling" something. It's our human nature and we are all susceptible to it in some way. In digging into more detail about the shooter it has been found that he was looking at Al Queda/ISIS sites before he was deployed to the middle east. There he was exposed to what is really going on there and saw it all first hand. Add to this any other mental issues he may have been having with failed relationships in Alaska and he was probably "feeling" pretty rough. I don't know the answers but the guy needed help and several systems let him slip through the cracks. Ultimately, we are all responsible for our own behavior both for ourselves and to others. We can pray for those killed and injured but we have to be aware and able to respond on our own, the police can't be every where and by the same token, we cannot police the world.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom