firearms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodscrew

Vessel Name
Northern Star
Vessel Make
Bristol 42 1970
I hope this doesn't ignite a firestorm of controversy, but is anyone carrying firearms onboard? In my youth I lived on an island in Barnegat bay as a sort of caretaker for a duck hunting club. It was before cell phones, and no one was coming for a long time even if you could raise somebody on the VHF radio in the event of trouble. I was happy to have a shotgun loaded and ready to go. I never had need of it, but I wouldn't have been without it. There are some lonely anchorages on the ICW, and hey- who you gonna' call? Any thoughts on the legality of having a shotgun aboard? Am I being paranoid? (If not I am looking at the Mossburg mariner). Don't shoot me for asking. Woodscrew

You may not be shot for bringing this up, but get ready for a hornets next of heated opinion. I'll share the heat with you because I like to explore trails around the beaches of SE Alaska. That means bears. I carry a big bore revolver on these forays, not that I want to kill a bear, which I dont, but I'd rather not be a statistic if I can help it. And the 2 - legged varmints that you confront on the ICW are more of a risk than I confront. IMO.

Yes I do. When I was stopped by the coast guard and they ask if I was carrying, they said if I wasn't they would loan me one .

Woodscrew, it would be nice if responders could limit themselves to your question, the legality of having a firearm through the ICW.

Doubt it will happen though.

Ken E
Yes it's the two legged critters I worry about. I don't think the gators down south could get aboard. Thanks for sharing (the heat).

I prefer someone else carrying that responsibility. (Besides, my sheriff doesn't want ordinary citizens like me to be armed.) Feel more safe with armed friends around, especially with 45-ACPs.

I think the stock answer is that you need to comply with national, state, and local laws. When traveling by boat, that obviously is changing all the time. I'm not aware of any difference because you are on a boat vs land. But now that I think of it, some states have laws against a loaded gun in a vehicle. The conservative thing to do would be to assume your boat counts as a vehicle unless there is some specific exemption. It's also very important to declare it when boarded, or when crossing boarders.

As to being paranoid, I think you are. The only place I personally see a role for a gun is in wilderness hiking where there are bear threats. And even then, with the exception of polar bears, there are other very effective ways to avoid any problems.

Your boat is your home it is no different than on land. If the state you're traveling through allows rifles and shotguns you should be okay.

If you are carrying a handgun concealed on your person it is another story and the issues become significantly more complex. Most CCP's do not transfer state to state. Strange rules are the norm, here in Washington you can open carry but must have a permit to cover the weapon with your jacket.

Last edited:
Considering the consequences of an error, you would be well advised to contact a firearms attorney for answers to your questions regarding possession of a shotgun. Obviously you must have appropriate license. Many states require you to have the firearm under your direct control or securely locked. Some states may require ammunition to be locked separately. Some states such as NJ consider a shotgun capable of holding more than 6 rounds to be a banned assault weapon.

Simply having one is a separate issue from using it for self protection. Many states are stand your ground, some states such as NJ are duty to retreat. If somebody is breaking into your boat, you have a duty to go out the hatch, jump overboard, and let them have your boat. (Assuming you are close to shore and can swim there safely.) If you decide to use a shotgun, then life as you know it will be irrevocably changed.

The safe passage act is not the safe usage act.

Repeat: Contact an experienced firearms attorney.

Last edited:
Your boat is your home it is no different than on land. If the state you're traveling through allows rifles and shotguns you should be okay.

If you are carrying a handgun concealed on your person it is another story and the issues become significantly more complex.

It all depends on the state and local laws. I think it would have to be researched very carefully. Mass, for example, requires a permit for all firearms. There are exceptions for non-residents passing through, but it needs to be very clear that you are just passing through and not visiting. And I think you need to have a valid hunting permit for wherever you are going. And I'm not sure whether they recognize permits from other states.

NYC requires that all guns be registered. Not sure what exceptions there are for transients.

And many State and National parks and lands prohibit guns.

So I actually think there is a lot of research required if you really want to comply.

... And I think you need to have a valid hunting permit for wherever you are going. And I'm not sure whether they recognize permits from other states. ...

So there is no inherent right to self preservation there? Definitely seems contrary to the US constitution.

I prefer someone else carrying that responsibility. (Besides, my sheriff doesn't want ordinary citizens like me to be armed.) Feel more safe with armed friends around, especially with 45-ACPs.

Ah.........good choice on the caliber!

Carry on board a 12 gage 'Greener' for stalking creeks to view bear. Have a Ruger 357 Single action to back that up. 22 10/20 and a Ruger 22 auto for plinking, a 30-30 when deer season open. In town 380 Kimber concealed.
As to the whys and why not of the discussion, I have none.

Al-Ketchikan

Considering the consequences of an error, you would be well advised to contact a firearms attorney for answers to your questions regarding possession of a shotgun. Obviously you must have appropriate license. Many states require you to have the firearm under your direct control or securely locked. Some states may require ammunition to be locked separately. Some states such as NJ consider a shotgun capable of holding more than 6 rounds to be a banned assault weapon.

Simply having one is a separate issue from using it for self protection. Many states are stand your ground, some states such as NJ are duty to retreat. If somebody is breaking into your boat, you have a duty to go out the hatch, jump overboard, and let them have your boat. (Assuming you are close to shore and can swim there safely.) If you decide to use a shotgun, then life as you know it will be irrevocably changed.

The safe passage act is not the safe usage act.

Repeat: Contact an experienced firearms attorney.

Sorry no offense but this is not a practical answer for interstate travel. Exactly zero attorneys are going to provide advice outside of their bar's jurisdiction.

Its a judgement call for a firearm owner to decide.

And I don't live in Canada or California but I've never heard of anywhere in the US that requires a license to own a firearm. Would not survive a constitutional test.

Last edited:
So there is no inherent right to self preservation there? Definitely seems contrary to the US constitution.

New England states, with the exception of NH and VT, are duty to retreat states. Unless you are facing deadly harm, you must run out your back door.

Vermont does not require any license for any type of firearm. You must be 16 or older. Doesn't seem like they have collapsed into anarchy up there as a result.

Yes I do. Once I was boarded off Pensacola, Fl. by the Coast Guard, before coming onboard they asked if I had firearms, I answer yes, a handgun. They said to unload it and put it and it's ammo on the bed. They, there were three of them, boarded and asked where the gun was and one went to it, when he came back to the saloon he said he had hidden the ammo, that when the boarding was done they would tell me where it was hidden. They did the usual safety & documentation checks then got back on their boat as they pulled away they gave me the location of the ammo. No other mention of the gun. They were very polite and businesslike as we were with them.
This is an interesting booklet: https://www.gunlawguide.com/

Last edited:
There has been mention of the USCG. If I am not mistaken, the USCG will not enforce state laws, only federal. Maybe someone can clarify that?

Carry on board a 12 gage 'Greener' for stalking creeks to view ...

Al-Ketchikan

Alaska used to require a firearm for aircraft survival kits, and I still have my 12-bore in a gun-boat scabbard. Hadn't thought about until this conversation, but I suppose I'll take it when I go north. Will I be able to carry it across Canada?

There has been mention of the USCG. If I am not mistaken, the USCG will not enforce state laws, only federal. Maybe someone can clarify that?

Correct. USCG petty officers above are federal law enforcement officers. They only enforce federal laws. Local law enforcement is only a radio call away if they were so inclined.

Woodscrew, it would be nice if responders could limit themselves to your question, the legality of having a firearm through the ICW.

Doubt it will happen though.

His first question was "Is anybody carrying".

I am not sure why it has not been brought up, but my first inclination for a protective device is my 25mm flare gun. It will surely ruin you day to be on the receiving end. As for legality, pyrotechnics are a required item by the USCG onboard.

When I get boarded, I always offer that there are arms on the boat and where they are. CG crews thank me and otherwise seem disinterested.

If I travel up into NE, I'll keep them locked up and ammo separate. That's what my NE buds do and say it has not been a problem.

Alaska used to require a firearm for aircraft survival kits, and I still have my 12-bore in a gun-boat scabbard. Hadn't thought about until this conversation, but I suppose I'll take it when I go north. Will I be able to carry it across Canada?

Be very careful with the Canadians and guns. They are death on pistols. I ship my guns direct from Washington to Alaska. The rules for rifles and shotguns are different. They are Long Guns in their vocabulary. Check them out and be squeaky clean on compliance.

When I get boarded, I always offer that there are arms on the boat and where they are. CG crews thank me and otherwise seem disinterested.

If I travel up into NE, I'll keep them locked up and ammo separate. That's what my NE buds do and say it has not been a problem.

Thus making one ill-prepared for self defense. So much for constitutional rights in many jurisdictions. :banghead:

Be very careful with the Canadians and guns. They are death on pistols. I ship my guns direct from Washington to Alaska. The rules for rifles and shotguns are different. They are Long Guns in their vocabulary. Check them out and be squeaky clean on compliance.

Canadian peaceful citizens don't have a right to bear arms? (Pistols/revolvers are often ideal for self-defense.) Seems so.

I am not sure why it has not been brought up, but my first inclination for a protective device is my 25mm flare gun. It will surely ruin you day to be on the receiving end. As for legality, pyrotechnics are a required item by the USCG onboard.

This is a very good idea and a very effective weapon. I was in P3 patrol planes in Vietnam and the Pyro pistol, as it was called, was considered a anti badguy piece as well as a rescue signal. Being on th e receiving end of burning phosphorus is very bad.

Unless you are gubmint, nobody in Canada can carry.

Back
Top Bottom