firearms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
.......... Federal law allows the transport of weapons in vessels if they are unloaded, rendered temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use. ....................

I don't know if this is correct or not so I won't comment on that point, but if you are carrying a weapon and are in compliance with that law, it's going to be useless for "protection".

You can't ask the bad guy to wait while you retrieve your gun and load it.

Even if federal law seems to allow you to transport a weapon regardless of state or local law, it doesn't protect you if you actually use the weapon on a human. In some states, you are within your rights to shoot someone who threatens you. In other states, you are obligated to attempt to hide or escape. You're not likely to have time to look it up.

I've read three things about black bears versus the bigger critters, all of which maybe sound plausible.

1) There are more black bear/human encounters: more black bears, scattered over more territory especially in the lower 48 and Canada, with more humans traipsing around those forests... compared to browns/grizzlies/polars.

2) Bear-watching (on purpose) is often about the larger bears, and more controlled circumstances: humans can be more prepared, and usually intentionally take more precautions, on a bear watch compared to other human activity in the woods (hiking, photography, deer hunting, etc.)... and often human sightseers on a bear watch are accompanied by an armed guide who generally has a clue (and probably sprays, horns, bells, etc.)... so chance uncontrolled encounters are less common

3) Black bears can often climb smaller trees: trees may or may not provide safe haven from black bears, whereas the larger bears more often can't get to you. (Assumes candidate climb-able tree nearby, and skill to get up it.)

-Chris

I can try and find the scientific paper that Herrero et. al. wrote on this subject, but this is a press coverage on the paper:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110511074807.htm

I was talking to my friend the bear biologist (Ministry of Environment of BC) yesterday, and I casually indicated that I didn't have to worry about black bears and he said, "But Jim I'm telling you that you need to be mindful of these bears..." and to be aware of the situation and behaviour of a stalking black bear. Most human issues with grizzlies are territorial and protection of food, cubs. You will typically be warned by the bears if you can read their behaviour. The stalking male black bear wants to eat you and you need to be prepared to defend yourself if it should come to it. That includes the use of bear spray.

There was a situation in Alberta with oil pipeline workers being attacked by a predatory black bear: 7 people, airhorns, they were not carrying bear spray, and presumably did not have a gun available either. One woman was killed.

Seven co-workers tried to fend off deadly bear attack - The Globe and Mail

Jim

Greetings,
I've been told and always believed that the only two things one should be wary of in the bush in eastern North America are bears (black) in the spring and moose in the fall. I'll have to add black bears in general.

Greetings,
I've been told and always believed that the only two things one should be wary of in the bush in eastern North America are bears (black) in the spring and moose in the fall. I'll have to add black bears in general.

I do a little hiking and camping almost always alone. I almost always open carry.
Here's my list of most dangerous things while hiking/camping
1)myself
2)the drive to the trail head
3)weather
4)other people
5)meteor strike
6)Bigfoot
7)catastrophic tectonic plate movement
8)renegade squirrel army
9)spontaneous combustion
10)global warming
Bears are way down the list as long as you practice good house keeping in your campsite.

Every bear I've encountered which include Grizzlies in Yellowstone and Black bear in Minnesota, Virginia, ect, about 10 all total have run from me. Never encountered a moose. But I will give wild pigs the right of way every time LOL.
The only thing that keeps my attention when out in the woods alone is other people.

RT,

You forgot snakes. In college in eastern Tennessee, rattlesnakes, copperheads, and further south water moccasins were something to be on the lookout for. I saw a lot more of them growing up than bears or pigs. I probably missed a few bears in the summer because I spent more time looking down.

Tom

No Zombie apocalypse?

Greetings,
Mr. tp. Ah yes, forgot about snakes. I have spent some time in NC and one of the last times I was there, a friend showed me a .22 round that had pellets instead of a slug. I'd never seen that before. He told me he used them for snakes. Just looked it up. It's called a shotshell or "Ratshot"

hqdefault.jpg

I don't mind snakes at all and I don't think I'd ever kill one but my friend had a real hate on for snakes. Had to stop him when he went to kill an Eastern King snake. They actually prey on copperheads and cottonmouths. Species Profile: Eastern Kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula) | SREL Herpetology

Cervelo, do you think #9 causes #10?

For inside work the Glaser Safety slug has been available for decades , that will not carry thru a wall.

Available in most common pistol sizes.

1. Glaser Safety Slug - COR®BON

corbon.com/glaser-safety-slug.h...

The Glaser Safety Slug ® was designed in 1974 in response to the possibility of having to use a handgun on an airplane by the Sky Marshals. The concerns at that time ...

Cervelo, do you think #9 causes #10?

It's highly probable, chipmunks have also been known to form loose temporary gangs that can cause campsite chaos. It's a scary world out there, hence you know the whole gun thing.

For inside work the Glaser Safety slug has been available for decades , that will not carry thru a wall.

Available in most common pistol sizes.

1. Glaser Safety Slug - COR®BON

corbon.com/glaser-safety-slug.h...

The Glaser Safety Slug ® was designed in 1974 in response to the possibility of having to use a handgun on an airplane by the Sky Marshals. The concerns at that time ...

Good for use inside a boat!

Back
Top Bottom