firearms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. CZ-75B .40 S&W. I have a CWL, so I just keep it in my bag next to me.

Greetings,
Mr. mp. "Canadian peaceful citizens don't have a right to bear arms?" It is my understanding Canadian citizens have neither the desire nor feel the need to carry weapons. I think this is the case in most civilized countries of the world.

Last edited:
I would urge anyone bringing a firearm into Canada to contact the CBSA and the RCMP prior to entry.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/import-importer-eng.htm
I would phone first before you enter to ensure you comply with whatever regulations are appropriate.

"Before a restricted firearm can be imported into Canada:
it must be verified and registered with the Canadian Firearms Program (CFP).
Assistance with the verification and registration of a newly imported firearm is available from the CFP at 1-800-731-4000 (Canada and the U.S.) or 1-506-624-6626 (outside Canada and the U.S.)."

It is my understanding Canadian citizens have neither the desire nor feel the need to carry weapons. I think this is the case in most civilized countries of the world.

That's what the official government press release says anyway. I view my firearms in the same way I view my fire extinguisher, good to have in an emergency, hope I never need to use it.

Ted

From a gun law standpoint each state you pass through has the right to regulate the carrying of firearms through their state.

You can research the heck out of it, but from a practical standpoint you are probably not going to have a problem having onboard your liveaboard size boat whatever firearm you choose, so long as it stays out of casual view and stays on the boat. Theat is not to say you are legal, it's just that the chances of getting caught are vrey slim, and would only be the result of a full search of your boat.

That said, if it were me I would choose to have onboard a firearm that is not illegal by nature in any of the jurisdictions you pass through. A 12 gauge pump action shotgun comes to mind as a good example.

You still could be in voilation of a state or local law, but something like a 12 gauge shotgun will lead to allot less trouble than your AR-15 in states that specifically ban that type of firearm.

"I prefer someone else carrying that responsibility. (Besides, my sheriff doesn't want ordinary citizens like me to be armed.) Feel more safe with armed friends around, especially with 45-ACPs. "
Really? How many friends who are armed with .45ACP's do you normally have with you on have on your boat? And to your sheriff--if he's only five minutes away when you phone 911, and the burglar is kicking down your door, would you rather have your sheriff or your weapon at hand?

"I am not sure why it has not been brought up, but my first inclination for a protective device is my 25mm flare gun. It will surely ruin you day to be on the receiving end. As for legality, pyrotechnics are a required item by the USCG onboard. "
Really? You had better hope that the flare does not hit something before exiting your boat and ricochet around inside your boat. I hope your fire extinguisher is as handy to you as your flare gun was.

"Be very careful with the Canadians and guns. They are death on pistols. I ship my guns direct from Washington to Alaska."
Pistols are "Prohibited" items in Canada. Spend a few hours and read the regs online before you guess as to what is allowed and what is prohibited in Canada. Google is your friend here.

"I would urge anyone bringing a firearm into Canada to contact the CBSA and the RCMP prior to entry."
Bingo***We have a winner here of today's "Good piece of advice" award.

"I would urge anyone bringing a firearm into Canada to contact the CBSA and the RCMP prior to entry."
Bingo***We have a winner here of today's "Good piece of advice" award.

???

I'm not following the sarcasm here. Sorry. I must be as thick as a brick.

Jim

AlaskaProf:

Try reading this to gain insight:

Bringing Firearms Into Canada

Laws for Americans Taking Guns Into or Through Canada

Within this second reading, the recommendation of shipping you weapon to a destination in Alaska has worth. I would suggest sending your gun via FEDEX ground to Frontier Shipping in Ketchikan first port of entry. Not only are they a mail receiving outlet, they are gun dealers as well. Long guns/shotguns can be mailed with the U.S.Post office too, pistols not. To be totally legal I believe if a pistol or automatic is involved, it has to be shipped between two licensed gun dealers one shipping and one receiving.

I recognize not everyone feels the need to carry a weapon.

For those of you who do, I will share a tip with you that may help you in your multi-jurisdictional travel...within the United States and her territories. I wouldn't ordinarily suggest this on an internet forum, but this seems like a room of adults.

If you are an active or retired qualified law enforcement officer, you can carry a weapon in every state, the district of columbia, puerto rico, and all US territories. This is a simplified summary of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act. It's important to understand it fully before relying on it.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act

If you are from a rural area and have a good relationship with your local sheriff, discuss it with him/ her. Get deputized as a reserve deputy. This may require a qualification with the weapon that may require annual tests. It may require a campaign contribution to your sheriff's re-election. Then carry where you like...but still not in Canada.

Greetings,
Mr. mp. "Canadian peaceful citizens don't have a right to bear arms?" It is my understanding Canadian citizens have neither the desire nor feel the need to carry weapons. I think this is the case in most civilized countries of the world.

Murray (Kitimat B.C.) often responds to these threads in much as your post reflects. Stating that and anticipating his response to percentages of gun crimes and such,:facepalm: (Never mind if the major large cities controlled by one major political party each for many many years, were eleminated from the numbers of said quotes:eek: how the U.S stacked up) I will respond to your RT in a different line of reasoning.
You post a 'Gun Free Zone'(Canada) sign on your lawn and I will post "Due to the cost of ammo there will not be a warning shot" sign(USA). Let us see who will sleep better at night:popcorn:.

Boy we are off on a tangent bigtime:hide:

Al-Ketchikan

It would be extremely wise for one to understand all laws with regard to possession of a firearm while on a vessel. Remember, while you are tied up at the dock you may be under local jurisdiction, and most likely federal jurisdiction. While at anchor you will most likely be under federal jurisdiction and may also be under local jurisdiction.
Let's say you are anchored in the middle of the Columbia River fishing, the number of authorities who could board your vessel legally is mind numbing.
I also carry a CCW that is supposedly legal in like 38 states, but just my luck, Ill cross through one of those states that doesn't recognize my CCW and I'm screwed.
I firmly believe in my right to own and carry arms to defend myself. But when on the boat and cruising I am extremely concerned about the laws and how they may be interpreted by an authority. My weapon of choice is my Colt Officers model 45ACP or the Barreta 40, both semi auto.

Now with regards to crossing into Canada, or any country other than the USA,you would be extremely wise to throughly understand their laws regarding any weapons while you are a guest in their country. I chose not to bring a weapon onboard while in Canadian water because of the laws pertaining to handguns and the registration requirements for long guns. A real pain.

Hope your just as confused as I am with regards to this subject.

Cheers

Well, according to Wikipedia, the homicide rate by firearms in the US is 3.43/100,000 population and in Canada it's 0.38, so I guess I will sleep better.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Hi JD.Well you beat Murray of Kitimat to the punch. This is the informational chart he proffered.
We had a good debate a bit long in the tooth we agreed to disagree and remain friends across the border.
I would say the key word in your response is "Guess". In my case I WILL sleep better.:flowers:

Al-Ketchikan

And I don't live in Canada or California but I've never heard of anywhere in the US that requires a license to own a firearm. Would not survive a constitutional test.

Some states require a license to BUY a firearm. Typically northeastern states, I think: MD, NY, I think CT and Mass, maybe NJ, etc. Some of those others may be states that require a license to own, not sure. If so, I'd guess NY is a candidate...

In MD, one needs a permit to buy a handgun, but not a long gun (assuming said long gun is buy-able at all, i.e., not on the disapproved list).

OTOH, moving to MD with pre-owned firearms doesn't require a license to own.

The permit to buy is not the same thing as a license to carry. MD is one of the states that requires a "substantial reason" for a CCW permit... and there are no approved "substantial reasons" unless one is LE or very well connected. MD doesn't offer reciprocity for CCWs from very many other jurisdictions, maybe none.

-Chris

For those of you who do, I will share a tip with you that may help you in your multi-jurisdictional travel...within the United States and her territories. I wouldn't ordinarily suggest this on an internet forum, but this seems like a room of adults.

If you are an active or retired qualified law enforcement officer, you can carry a weapon in every state, the district of columbia, puerto rico, and all US territories. This is a simplified summary of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act. It's important to understand it fully before relying on it.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act

If you are from a rural area and have a good relationship with your local sheriff, discuss it with him/ her. Get deputized as a reserve deputy. This may require a qualification with the weapon that may require annual tests. It may require a campaign contribution to your sheriff's re-election. Then carry where you like...but still not in Canada.

As a retired LEO, this is the way I carry a weapon. It's good in all 50 states and in all U.S. Territories and possessions. You do have to qualify every year on a course of fire and there are a few minor restrictions for retired versus current LEOs.

???

I'm not following the sarcasm here. Sorry. I must be as thick as a brick.

Jim
Jim, absolutely no sarcasm. I was trying to point out that what he said was the best advice in this thread. Spot on for accuracy.

I carry a .22 pistol and a 12 gauge shotgun usually. The 12 gauge covers beach trips and the possibility of having to deal with unfriendly people in a way that discourages them from pursuing conflict. I have taken police training courses with shotgun, pistol, and rifle, and it's extremely effective out to about 200 meters with Brenneke slugs. I also carry 00 buckshot, rubber buckshot, and stand-off loads, which are like a cherry bomb that launches out to 50 yards before going off. Great for scaring off bears and avoiding conflict.

The pistol has a suppressor and is effective for subduing halibut under 100 lbs, which is as large as I want to deal with anyway. Shooting them through the gills a couple of times makes them so much easier to handle, and I don't have to wear hearing protection.

I also have a .45 in a shoulder holster that I carry hiking where I don't think there are any brown bears, just the black variety. It has a couple of extra magazines on the opposite side to balance out the load, and is more comfortable while kayaking.

Last edited:
I carry a .22 pistol ... The pistol has a suppressor and is effective for subduing halibut under 100 lbs, which is as large as I want to deal with anyway. Shooting them through the gills a couple of times makes them so much easier to handle, and I don't have to wear hearing protection. ...

I prefer subsonic "target" rounds for noise reduction.

In Alaska you aren't going to find them. It is a different world up here :)

As a retired LEO, this is the way I carry a weapon. It's good in all 50 states and in all U.S. Territories and possessions. You do have to qualify every year on a course of fire and there are a few minor restrictions for retired versus current LEOs.

I ask as information. Is it not the policy or unspoken rule if so, that retired LEOs are extended the courtesy of carrying and permits are not require just proof of status? I may be using an incorrect term just that you are able in some legal format. You may be dispelling a myth which is good.

Al-Ketchikan

Sorry, didn't see this post, Group9 was the post I had read. Good information, AMJ

Greetings,

Rt I think you hit the nail square on. I very much have my doubts about how civilized Americans are and therefore we may all need guns. Some days it looks like the civil war never ended and race and prejudice issues appear active even the Nazis have come out of their hidey holes.

Nazi's? I've only seen them in Berkeley, so far. Yeah, I'd want to be armed when they show up in my town, too.

Attachments

• Fascists.jpg
    Fascists.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 73
  • antifa-at-berkely.jpg
    antifa-at-berkely.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 77
You post a 'Gun Free Zone'(Canada) sign on your lawn and I will post "Due to the cost of ammo there will not be a warning shot" sign(USA). Let us see who will sleep better at night.
Al-Ketchikan

Interesting point, why would anyone sleep better living in a country where they thought a weapon was needed for protection to 'sleep well' versus someone who lives in a country where they feel no threat or need of guns to sleep well. Seems a bit counter - intuitive to me.

Damn it! I really meant to keep out of this one.

Last edited:
Correct, the USCG could care less about you carrying legal firearms.

Machine guns would require the correct federal permits.

But they will just locate the guns and muster you away from them.

The best advice I have seen in dozens of gun threads is in the US...you better know the state regs, because the local cops don't give a damn about the constitutional right, just what their bosses say. You may win the case after forking over $100,000 in legal fees, and still not get your guns back.

Outside of the US, sorta the same thing...but you are the foreigner....good luck if they frame your butt or don't like your answers.

Obviously some places are more gun friendly but not many.

Bottom line with guns...way too emotional all over. The percentages of cruisers who have needed them versus the chances of getting in trouble are not a good bet.

And I am WAYYYYY pro gun....but that is my background....but I shy away from carrying a gun in any place but Texas and Alaska,

Last edited:
To take this in a slightly different direction....

At some point I expect to be cruising in parts of the world where things are a bit more dangerous, and might consider keeping a shotgun on the boat. There is probably only a 25% chance I will, but I would consider it.

And I definitely expect to cruise in some areas where carrying a gun while ashore is either recommended or required because of bears - polar bears in particular.

If my preference were a shotgun (semi automatic or pump action), what ammo would you use in the two situations above?

My desire for cruising less safe parts of the world would be something that would hurt like hell, but least likely to be fatal. I'm thinking bird shot or even rock salt?

And for bears, I'm thinking I'd want something with lots of stopping power, so maybe slugs? They knock me over when I shoot them, so I figure they will knock over what ever they hit.

A hand gun is out of the question, and I don't think a rifle would be appropriate except perhaps for bears?

Take a look at this web site: AmericanSpecialtyAmmo.com

There are a lot of different rounds designed for specific purposes. I like a combination of rounds, generally buckshot and slugs. I have always be intrigued by the Dragon's Breath round, but scared of the fire that might result. I believe that round would be very effective at deterring a bear attack. Here is a video of that round:
. I have never seen them for sale until I found the web site. I believe there may be some legal issues with that round in some jurisdictions, but if I had a bear close by that was threatening, I think he would leave after one of these went off in front of him.

Tom

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom