Disrupted Supply Chain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaProf

Guru
Vessel Name
boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Make
RAWSON 41
For near two decades, the one thing I could count on Costco to stock was a very high quality and relatively inexpensive variety of stuffed olives for my evening martini.

About six weeks ago, disastrous disruption...none to be had. To their credit, there was a marginally acceptable olive, but simply not the same. Repeated visits resulted in disappointment.

Until Today! They clearly recognized the pent-up demand, had an enormous stack of this delicacy on the central aisle, opposed to back in the condiment aisle as before.:dance::dance::dance:

Attachments

• tassos2.jpg
    tassos2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I feel your pain. I love Costco store brand stuff but am thrown for a loop when its unavailable.

* Their Half A Ham. Best ham anywhere. Since the supply runs in and out I buy 4 or 5 and freeze them. Cook them, run through a meat slicer and a ham sandwich is my lunch for 2 weeks or better.

* Croutons. A massive bag, cheap and good.

* My latest find: pre-shelled pistachios. A game changer.

* Their Himalayan Salt rippled potato chips are outstanding.

* Best olive oil. Best price. By far.

I could go on.

Some ask will I eat today?
Some ask what will I eat today?

When an issue is to find my favorite stuffed olives, everything is fine. ��

L

I couldn't agree more. If only I owned a boat:blush:

It's not just food, for a while there was no Delo 400 to be found here, I have been waiting on a new 7 gallon aluminum propane tank for 8 months (so far) and the new hatch I ordered hasn't come back into stock three months after I ordered it. InReach device I am looking for is "projected" to be available in March and the list goes on...

I prefer the blue cheese and feta cheese stuffed olives.

My friend used to stuff olives with anchovies.

I feel your pain. I love Costco store brand stuff but am thrown for a loop when its unavailable.

* Their Half A Ham. Best ham anywhere. Since the supply runs in and out I buy 4 or 5 and freeze them. Cook them, run through a meat slicer and a ham sandwich is my lunch for 2 weeks or better.

* Croutons. A massive bag, cheap and good.

* My latest find: pre-shelled pistachios. A game changer.

* Their Himalayan Salt rippled potato chips are outstanding.

* Best olive oil. Best price. By far.

I could go on.

pre-cooked bacon!

Murray River pink salt flakes. Australia.

The day one will say one salt has a different taste from another, I will be able to walk on water.
Power of marketing is limitless!

L

I don't know about salt, but I can attest that sugar definitely isn't all the same:thumb:

Well, in my opinion, Murray River salt really is something special. It's ridiculously expensive but worth it. Might be the minerals, might be flake structure, or both. Himalayan salt, other than the cool color, I can't tell much difference from 29-cent common table salt. Or that black volcano salt from Hawaii. And I'm not counting flavored or smoked salt, to me that's cheating and not very appetizing, like flavored coffees. Murray River salt flakes on a well-grilled South Dakota sirloin steak --now that's an experience. Or sprinkled on deviled eggs. And I'm not even a big salt person, I usually don't salt anything at the table, normally.

After banging up a prop last summer I ordered a new set from Michigan Wheel. That was in August 2021. 5.5 Months later I was informed that they have not been cast. And an estimated ship date will be in December. Apparently Michigan wheel is part owned by a firm in China, and they now cast all the odd ball stuff such as mine. They told me if I wanted to pay 30% more they can do a custom cast in Michigan, I would get my props in 8 more weeks... I am disappointed in Michigan wheel. I thought they were a US company that cast/machined in the USA. That is why I paid 20% more from the get go vs other companies. And for them to wait 5.5 months to tell me they have not been made, but if I pay even more I can move my casting from China to the US. I understand the supply chain issues, but this is just bad business.

I cancelled my order, I will not do any business with them again.

Odd, but over here, we go for million year old Himalayan Pink Salt(use by June 30 2022).

The salt is mined in a dry cave free of human contamination. Chemicals are added to hold it in stasis, but these chemicals exposed to the air will slowly change composition. The salt may be good but those mutated additives will eat you from the inside.
You can extend the useful life if it is kept in an airtight container and moisture free until use. ;)

I ordered a relatively locally made hot tub in last March. Delivery in Sept 21. No wait, Nov 21. No, maybe Apr 22.

We'll see.

Only feel good thing about it is I paid significantly less for it than if I ordered it today...

Which only means I paid less for something I don't have than the guy who buys it now and won't have either.

L

These are 1st world concerns Lou. I do not in the least feel guilty.

The day one will say one salt has a different taste from another, I will be able to walk on water.
Power of marketing is limitless!
L

Exactly Lou. Now we have salt snobs.

For near two decades, the one thing I could count on Costco to stock was a very high quality and relatively inexpensive variety of stuffed olives for my evening martini.
About six weeks ago, disastrous disruption...none to be had. To their credit, there was a marginally acceptable olive, but simply not the same. Repeated visits resulted in disappointment.
Until Today! They clearly recognized the pent-up demand, had an enormous stack of this delicacy on the central aisle, opposed to back in the condiment aisle as before.:dance::dance::dance:

Wait a minute. Gin and Garlic? Not so much. Gin and Jalpeno Peppers? I don't think so. Oh dear God, you are not talking about a Martini made with Vodka? Shame on you.

Thought panic buying was over but Aldi, in my suburb, has been out of TP for weeks.

Oh dear God, you are not talking about a Martini made with Vodka? Shame on you.

NO! of course of not. :eek:

I have been known to drop a wee bit of kimchi in my gin martini.

Ugh, you people and your gin martinis polluted with all kinds of foreign substances. Vodka, twist, straight up. You just wave the bottle of vermouth at the martini glass. Or fine, if you must, one splash of vermouth into the glass to start, and then you shake the vermouth out so there's just a hint left. Fresh and cold and clean as a winter day in the Arctic. Instead you people try to make a meal out of it, heck, you might as well throw a breaded pork chop and brown gravy into that martini shaker.

Ugh, you people and your gin martinis polluted with all kinds of foreign substances. Vodka, twist, straight up. You just wave the bottle of vermouth at the martini glass. Or fine, if you must, one splash of vermouth into the glass to start, and then you shake the vermouth out so there's just a hint left. Fresh and cold and clean as a winter day in the Arctic. Instead you people try to make a meal out of it, heck, you might as well throw a breaded pork chop and brown gravy into that martini shaker.

As a previous thread laboriously pointed out, names of things (especially when
aboard boats) matter.
Thus, a Martini is a gin drink. If made with vodka, it is a Vodka Martini. :huh:

You just wave the bottle of vermouth at the martini glass. Or fine, if you must, one splash of vermouth into the glass to start, and then you shake the vermouth out so there's just a hint left.

When I lived and worked in Aspen, my neighbor was the bartender at the Ute City Bank, where I spent many Friday evenings.

One night he said, "Ya know that guy just spent five minutes explaining how to make a dry martini. <sigh> I've worked here three years, still on my first bottle of vermouth, and everyone wants to tell me how to make a dry martini."

When I lived and worked in Aspen, my neighbor was the bartender at the Ute City Bank, where I spent many Friday evenings.

OH DEAR GOD! :facepalm: It's a haberdashery:banghead:

Attachments

• ute city.jpg
    ute city.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom