Did anyone notice what happened to Aluminum prices over night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deano

Vessel Name
Becca
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 44
20+% gain. Amazing. I only watch Al and Cu to see the future of the economy. But this is crazy.

20+% gain. Amazing. I only watch Al and Cu to see the future of the economy. But this is crazy.

Deano,

Wow, that's a hike! Thanks for posting... need some Al I beams.... probably get ASAP in case the prices go up again.

However, we have seen CRAZY price increases with the "Covid" excuse, and I suppose i don't blame some for raising prices. Restaurants and bars have gone up dramatically... some in the 25 to 50% range. Guess I won't be going there. Labor in some high demand areas has shot up a lot. Some food prices, materials (like Al), etc. have gone up.

I could argue that we'll see some significant inflation over the next few years.

Tighten the belt......

Overnight?

Sure, big contributing factor as the counter-measures and peeing contest ramp up. Look at all the big US producers and users that were opposed to the tariffs, now they have to hedge forward.

Look at all the big US producers and users that were opposed to the tariffs, now they have to hedge forward.

There is an interesting history here if you compare older reports to current. https://www.usgs.gov/centers/nmic/aluminum-statistics-and-information.

There is no longer a “big US producer”. In 1990 our primary production was 4 million tonnes, in 2017 it was 750,000. World production went from 19 to 60 million tonnes in that period. I suspect the difference is even bigger today, for example the last primary aluminum smelter in WA closed last month.

There is an interesting history here if you compare older reports to current. https://www.usgs.gov/centers/nmic/aluminum-statistics-and-information.

There is no longer a “big US producer”. In 1990 our primary production was 4 million tonnes, in 2017 it was 750,000. World production went from 19 to 60 million tonnes in that period. I suspect the difference is even bigger today, for example the last primary aluminum smelter in WA closed last month.

So I guess the tariffs didn't bring AL production back to the US, did it?

Was notified two weeks ago at a board meeting by our brewery manager that there was a shortage of aluminum cans in the US. Thought it might be that as breweries have lost much of their keg sales due to the virus, more product has gone out in cans. Also, more breweries were already switching from bottles to cans for weight and packaging reasons. Hopefully just a supply chain problem.
But hey, I'm a wine drinker.
Tator

I like bottle beer.....AA is my favorite.

This will hit the aluminum boat manufactures in the PNW and Canada very hard.

Last edited:
I like bottle beer.....AA is my favorite.

No Sh!t Tom. Now that you've made it public I suspect there will be a dramatic shortage of brown bottles similar to the toilet paper shortage a few months ago.

BTW, is Kay making you drink your AA's inside the boat now with all the smoke in the air, or do you still relax on your patio? :socool:

Look at wood prices as well. Maybe Eastport Harbor will see a revival. So sad to see all the fish packing and lumber plants closed and the piers just rotting.

No Sh!t Tom. Now that you've made it public I suspect there will be a dramatic shortage of brown bottles similar to the toilet paper shortage a few months ago.

BTW, is Kay making you drink your AA's inside the boat now with all the smoke in the air, or do you still relax on your patio? :socool:

Could happen.

Nope drink my AA outside on the bow while I enjoy a cigar....:eek::facepalm:

The price of aluminum is currently at 1785 per metric tonne. It has been fairly stable since July, down from its highs, but no major moves. Trump was supposed to stick some tariffs on, but I think that did not happen, but I think that was 10%. So I don’t know where your #’s come from.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom